Life with a Buick. Need an Ignition Module.

I know the type II ignition thing has been beaten to death, but....
The biggest limitation that I have gathered after searching any and every post I can is that the power supply to the coil is shared with the connection for the power for the rest of the module, and you get a pretty good voltage drop to the coils. WHAT IF one was to use the MSD coil interface adapters just to hotwire the coils. So you would have a separate "volt booster" direct supply to the type II coils, and the benefit of OEM parts to use. The adapters would be a one time hit of 120ish. Any thoughts.

I know the type II ignition thing has been beaten to death, but....
The biggest limitation that I have gathered after searching any and every post I can is that the power supply to the coil is shared with the connection for the power for the rest of the module, and you get a pretty good voltage drop to the coils. WHAT IF one was to use the MSD coil interface adapters just to hotwire the coils. So you would have a separate "volt booster" direct supply to the type II coils, and the benefit of OEM parts to use. The adapters would be a one time hit of 120ish. Any thoughts.
I already happen to have both my coil pack and module independently hotwired. Relayed fuse protected 12 gauge wire direct from the alternator. Is this what you mean?

I was thinking about a way to use the type II ignition and hot wire the coils directly. The stock style coils can be hotwired and perform well, it just seems the quality of the stock style has diminished. The type II may have a better supply base, but the limitations have been well documented. Being able to directly hotwire a type II ignition coil may put it on par with the type I, and you would get the benefit of possibly better suppliers like BW.

Joey, good meeting you today at LVD and hanging out with Jack, Brian, and crew. The pictures don't do your car justice, very cool and unique ride.

Last edited:
Joey, good meeting you today at LVD and hanging out with Jack, Brian, and crew. The pictures don't do your car justice, very cool and unique ride.
Got home early last night. Put my car in the Muscle Palooza show yesterday. And as predicted, just like 3 other years now...................

NO TROPHY.

I guess the Buick is just not their cup of tea. Well, doesn't matter. I was able to relax and enjoy the day. A little stress on the way home though. Hit a very little rain (mountaintop sprinkle) at one point. But I drove easy through it and then it was good for the next 2 hours of the rest of the ride.

I love driving it. I could care less what the judges like.

I really like meeting and hanging out with the Buick bunch. Not as many as there used to be but it reminds me of the good old days.

Hemmings does not really acknowledge modified cars. I went to the show at Lime Rock track yestereday, 4 TR's there. Probably about 250 cars but not a very well run show. Beautiful track though and a nice drive up from North Haven.

Hemmings does not really acknowledge modified cars. I went to the show at Lime Rock track yestereday, 4 TR's there. Probably about 250 cars but not a very well run show. Beautiful track though and a nice drive up from North Haven.

They did have a trophy class for best engine and best modified muscle car though. But again, I was OK with it. I just enjoyed the relaxation.
I drive up to LVD using Route 22 from down state. It's a beautiful country drive. And I got to spend the day earlier with the boys ringing out a few of their customer's cars. It was nice.
Maybe next year I'll try Lime Rock? Good turnout?

The turbo Buick has never been held in high esteem by the main stream, maybe that is why I like it. You have the best modified example I have seen, definitely don't sweat the judges who probably can't appreciate your Buick.

The turbo Buick has never been held in high esteem by the main stream, maybe that is why I like it. You have the best modified example I have seen, definitely don't sweat the judges who probably can't appreciate your Buick.
Thank you. It was a pleasure to meet you. Looking forward to running into you at future events. We can bench race a bit.

I hope you didn't party too hard for you sons college graduation!

Although, if there is a reason to party......this would be it.

Thank you. It was a pleasure to meet you. Looking forward to running into you at future events. We can bench race a bit.

I hope you didn't party too hard for you sons college graduation!

Although, if there is a reason to party......this would be it.
Partying too hard is relative these days, I had a couple martinis which is about my limit. I used to drink just beer, but the vodka sits better close to 50. My son is happy to be done, now its time to go to work. I hit the track fairly regular, shoot me note next time you are headed to LVD.

Wow what a close call! Good thing that Trooper didn't catch you making light hits, I'm sure even light throttle hits in that beast woulda cost you a lot of money or more! Must of been hauling ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow what a close call! Good thing that Trooper did catch you making light hits, I'm sure even light throttle hits in that beast woulda cost you a lot of money or more! Must of been hauling ass!

I have 2 data logs at 110 mph. I should delete the evidence.

Wow what a close call! Good thing that Trooper did catch you making light hits, I'm sure even light throttle hits in that beast woulda cost you a lot of money or more! Must of been hauling ass!

He didn't catch me at all.....thank God.
It was my girlfriend he pulled over.

LOVE my TR6 ignition!!

It tells you if it has issues with Cam or Crank sensors, which is valuable info!

Is CAM Sensor loosing Sync with Crack sensor?

Is Crank sensor signal dropping out?

Hotter spark, many cool features.

I feel your pain brother. Been there, done that and wrote the book on it. I was having the same grief years back with ignition modules/coil packs. The TR6 wasn't even a option for me because it didn't exist when I was having these issues. I went with the MSD distributor, MSD coil. and soldered a bridge on the circuit board of my FAST system to allow for the points signal. That was one of my best purchases I had ever made with this car. Reliable, great spark, easy to trouble shoot, and it does have that wow factor when people see it under the hood.lol

I do not necessarily need all the features a TR-6 has. Although, more is better. I'm running an XFI.

However, after starting this thread about needing a spare module, I have made my decision!

I decided to order-up a TR-6. I will be customizing its installation to accommodate my Twin Turbo configuration. Bob has been informed of my somewhat different needs, and is providing me with the hard parts.

Coil mounting, harness routing, ground locations, and ignition wires will be on me. I really like the way I was able to incorporate the look of the factory ignition system into the Twin Turbo combination. So, I'm going to need some time playing around with the TR-6 to get it just the way I wan't it. I may want to try a few different things. But all in all, the install won't be to radically different than what others are doing. Standard stuff really. I just want to knit-pick a little.

I plan to do all the mock-up / set-up / dress-up over the summer's spare time. Then when time allows, do the final install.

Like I said earlier. The car is running and all is good. All I was looking for was a spare module. But then it occurred to me, if I was going to need a spare, why not just have a TR-6 set-up on stand-by as my spare?

This gives me a stress free way of doing the TR-6 install, as I won't have to deal with the frustration of watching the good weather time go by while the car just sits in the garage.

Maybe later, I'll start a thread on the install.

I have XFI also, tuned by Cal.

The TR6 has stuff that is a great addition to what the FAST unit has.

You will love it!!

Got home early last night. Put my car in the Muscle Palooza show yesterday. And as predicted, just like 3 other years now...................

NO TROPHY.

I guess the Buick is just not their cup of tea. Well, doesn't matter. I was able to relax and enjoy the day. A little stress on the way home though. Hit a very little rain (mountaintop sprinkle) at one point. But I drove easy through it and then it was good for the next 2 hours of the rest of the ride.

I love driving it. I could care less what the judges like.

I really like meeting and hanging out with the Buick bunch. Not as many as there used to be but it reminds me of the good old days.

I'm glad to see you are taking this all in stride. These cars are frustrating at times, but stomping our feet and throwing tools doesn't help. It usually makes for more work.

I love your attitude towards trophies as well. In the last ten years or so (maybe it's because I'm getting older) I feel it's important to get our cars out there to remind/ inform people of the cool and unique things this "luxury car company" was doing in the '80's.

After moving the Estes Park Co in '99 I was accepted to a local application/ invitation show of 125 cars.
There was a guy that brought his '98 Corvette pace car and a newly purchased '87 GN that was parked next to me.
He was stomping his feet and would have been throwing tools (if he had some) because there was not a newer street machine class for us (GN's), so we were exhibition only.
He was ranting that he paid good money to bring his blankity blank blank and was not going to get a trophy.
At first I was pumped that two GN's were parked next to each other, but after his actions, I was a bit embarrassed and was hoping people didn't think all TR owners were like this.

Thank you for being a great example of a class act!