Life with a Buick. Need an Ignition Module.

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
So, let me tell you my story.

First the good stuff...........................................

I've had a lot of problems scheduling some fun time with the Twin Turbo lately. And I have had this annoying rear main leak that needed to be dealt with. I'm sick of climbing under the car to wipe it down every time I drive it. The Buick's underside is always spotless, and I want it to stay that way.

Friday morning I had a slot and the weather was nice and this was the time that I needed to get this problem done. So, I called Jack Cotton and told him "I'm coming up now!" I left at 7:15 AM from New York to drive the Buick for 2 hours to Western Massachusetts. I love driving the Buick on short weekend road trips. But the rear main leak kept me off the throttle. I asked my girlfriend to follow along in the daily beater because I know how these trips to Cotton's Performance can go. One minute I'm getting a leak fixed, the next.....we end up tubbing the rear and installing a parachute!!!

Traffic in Stamford, New Haven, and Hartford. We got to Cotton's about 3 hours later.

We let the car cool down a bit, and then I got strait to work. Aluminum oil pan, Dutweiler pump set-up. Disconnect intercooler/turbo plumbing because we needed to lift the engine a bit. Brian Cotton did the main seal job while I used about a hundred cans of the poor guy's brake-clean and shop rags to get it all polished and prettied up again.

We had lunch up there with the boys. My poor girlfriend loves the Buick but I know she was bored out of her mind. But she hangs in there for me. After the shop, I stopped by the boys houses to say hello to their significant others. As always, I had a good time!! Some hugs and kisses goodbye. I filled up the Buick's fuel cell at Sunoco and got on the road about 9:30 PM for the trip home to NY.

Now the bad stuff happens.......................................

I decide to get a few data logs in on the trip back. On I-91, before Middletown Connecticut, I hit it a few times to make recordings. Nothing major, just some half throttle low boost pulls. The air was cool and so were the tires and it pulled like a fucking monster! Scared me a bit, so I decided that was enough. I gave my girlfriend time to catch up in the daily beater.

Then I see a State Trooper's police lights behind my girlfriends car in the rear view mirror. She moves over to allow him to roll up on my bumper. But he's not pulling me over. He pulling her over!!!! I continued on to the next exit while she deals with the trooper. He told her he pulled her over for cell phone use, and then he said he smelled alcohol! He was lying! And then made her get out of the car to do the "eye follows the finger" test. She had one Twisted Tea at 2:00 PM with lunch. It was almost 10:30 at night! He gave her a ticket for pulling into the left shoulder instead of the right. She was scared and nervous. And I waited for her when she was done with him off the next exit. I hugged her and told her it's OK. You just got a ticket.

After this, we killed more time trying to find a decent good old fashioned diner off any exit to eat something and relax a bit. But it seems "you people" outside of New York all go to bed to damned early. And I try not to eat anything from a franchised fast food place. I'm Italian, it's against my religion.

Around 1:30 AM we pulled off exit 16 on I-95 in New Rochelle NY. Home!

Then this happens.................................................

The Buick just turns off!... Dies!... Dead!... Nothing, like I turned off the key. I put it in neutral while I rolled off the exit and tried to restart it. But nothing. I used the momentum to get me through the first intersection and then I had to pull over with the hazards on. She pulled up behind me. Then a New Rochelle cop pulled up behind her.

I got out and walked to the police car and told the cop that I had a bad computer sensor (I noticed that the crank sensor light on the XFI would only blink once or twice then stop when I was cranking.) I told him it will only take a few minutes to fix if I can just run to my garage and get the part I need. He came over to the Buick to take a closer look. By now, the hood was open and he almost goes into shock! You drove this from where?!!

He said OK but you can't leave it here. Then he helped me push it into a New Rochelle DPW driveway!

Knowing it would be routinely checked on, I leave the Buick behind and go with my girlfriend to my garage. I grabbed a sheet of cardboard, hydraulic jack, ratchet, extensions, assorted socket tray, jumper cables, crank sensors, and a coil pack with module.

I get back to the Buick threw the cardboard down and jacked it up. Using the I-Phone light, I took a look. There wasn't a damned thing wrong with the crank sensor! Grabbed the flexplate and spun the engine a bit. wiggled it a little and checked the plug connection. Yup, it was fine.

On to the next thing.........................................................

The coil with module. I knew it wasn't the coil pack. It didn't stumble or sputter. It just died. But I didn't have time to separate the two on the spot. I-Phone light in hand, I changed the whole assembly with my spare. The XFI wouldn't let me start the engine because the voltage was too low from previous cranking. We connected the jumper cables and turned it over.

BAM! It worked!

Got home at 3:30 AM, didn't get to sleep until around 4:15. Just like the old days!

I need a spare module that is proven to work! Jack doesn't have any right now. Who sells a guaranteed and tested good one? I don't like not having spare stuff sitting around. If I can't have a 100 percent proven spare, then I might be going coil-on-plug this winter. But for now, I still need a spare.

I've had a lot of problems scheduling some fun time with the Twin Turbo lately. And I have had this annoying rear main leak that needed to be dealt with. I'm sick of climbing under the car to wipe it down every time I drive it. The Buick's underside is always spotless, and I want it to stay that way.

Friday morning I had a slot and the weather was nice and this was the time that I needed to get this problem done. So, I called Jack Cotton and told him "I'm coming up now!" I left at 7:15 AM from New York to drive the Buick for 2 hours to Western Massachusetts. I love driving the Buick on short weekend road trips. But the rear main leak kept me off the throttle. I asked my girlfriend to follow along in the daily beater because I know how these trips to Cotton's Performance can go. One minute I'm getting a leak fixed, the next.....we end up tubbing the rear and installing a parachute!!!

Traffic in Stamford, New Haven, and Hartford. We got to Cotton's about 3 hours later.

We let the car cool down a bit, and then I got strait to work. Aluminum oil pan, Dutweiler pump set-up. Disconnect intercooler/turbo plumbing because we needed to lift the engine a bit. Brian Cotton did the main seal job while I used about a hundred cans of the poor guy's brake-clean and shop rags to get it all polished and prettied up again.

We had lunch up there with the boys. My poor girlfriend loves the Buick but I know she was bored out of her mind. But she hangs in there for me. After the shop, I stopped by the boys houses to say hello to their significant others. As always, I had a good time!! Some hugs and kisses goodbye. I filled up the Buick's fuel cell at Sunoco and got on the road about 9:30 PM for the trip home to NY.

I decide to get a few data logs in on the trip back. On I-91, before Middletown Connecticut, I hit it a few times to make recordings. Nothing major, just some half throttle low boost pulls. The air was cool and so were the tires and it pulled like a fucking monster! Scared me a bit, so I decided that was enough. I gave my girlfriend time to catch up in the daily beater.

Then I see a State Trooper's police lights behind my girlfriends car in the rear view mirror. She moves over to allow him to roll up on my bumper. But he's not pulling me over. He pulling her over!!!! I continued on to the next exit while she deals with the trooper. He told her he pulled her over for cell phone use, and then he said he smelled alcohol! He was lying! And then made her get out of the car to do the "eye follows the finger" test. She had one Twisted Tea at 2:00 PM with lunch. It was almost 10:30 at night! He gave her a ticket for pulling into the left shoulder instead of the right. She was scared and nervous. And I waited for her when she was done with him off the next exit. I hugged her and told her it's OK. You just got a ticket.

After this, we killed more time trying to find a decent good old fashioned diner off any exit to eat something and relax a bit. But it seems "you people" outside of New York all go to bed to damned early. And I try not to eat anything from a franchised fast food place. I'm Italian, it's against my religion.

The Buick just turns off!... Dies!... Dead!... Nothing, like I turned off the key. I put it in neutral while I rolled off the exit and tried to restart it. But nothing. I used the momentum to get me through the first intersection and then I had to pull over with the hazards on. She pulled up behind me. Then a New Rochelle cop pulled up behind her.

I got out and walked to the police car and told the cop that I had a bad computer sensor (I noticed that the crank sensor light on the XFI would only blink once or twice then stop when I was cranking.) I told him it will only take a few minutes to fix if I can just run to my garage and get the part I need. He came over to the Buick to take a closer look. By now, the hood was open and he almost goes into shock! You drove this from where?!!

He said OK but you can't leave it here. Then he helped me push it into a New Rochelle DPW driveway!

Knowing it would be routinely checked on, I leave the Buick behind and go with my girlfriend to my garage. I grabbed a sheet of cardboard, hydraulic jack, ratchet, extensions, assorted socket tray, jumper cables, crank sensors, and a coil pack with module.

I get back to the Buick threw the cardboard down and jacked it up. Using the I-Phone light, I took a look. There wasn't a damned thing wrong with the crank sensor! Grabbed the flexplate and spun the engine a bit. wiggled it a little and checked the plug connection. Yup, it was fine.

The coil with module. I knew it wasn't the coil pack. It didn't stumble or sputter. It just died. But I didn't have time to separate the two on the spot. I-Phone light in hand, I changed the whole assembly with my spare. The XFI wouldn't let me start the engine because the voltage was too low from previous cranking. We connected the jumper cables and turned it over.

BAM! It worked!

Got home at 3:30 AM, didn't get to sleep until around 4:15. Just like the old days!

I need a spare module that is proven to work! Jack doesn't have any right now. Who sells a guaranteed and tested good one? I don't like not having spare stuff sitting around. If I can't have a 100 percent proven spare, then I might be going coil-on-plug this winter. But for now, I still need a spare.

Stock ignition module? I have one and it worked when I removed it. Just bought a new one for troubleshooting and it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a couple AC Delco Ignition Modules #24503624. It's all I use. No issues.

I have been tricked that my issues was an bad module also,but now it looks to be ignition switch a NAPA part

BAM! It worked!

Autozone and they will test it on the machine been using them for years.

I've got a couple AC Delco Ignition Modules #24503624. It's all I use. No issues.
Autozone and they will test it on the machine been using them for years.
Why have I been led to believe from so many others that a good ignition module was so hard to find? Many have told me it's a crap shoot.

I never felt the imminent need to go coil-on-plug because the stock ignition system worked flawlessly to the performance level I'm currently at. And like so many others before me, I'm sure it can take me much further. But I was under the impression that things change, and it's becoming increasingly more difficult to find decent replacement parts. When given a choice, I never use used parts no matter how much I could save. I'd rather park it and wait until I find a new replacement.

These days, I don't deal with inconvenience very well. I want to drive the thing. And I don't want to keep any replacement parts in my trunk. Just 800 horsepower and open road.

So basically what I'm asking....Are you sure?

I have at least one never used AC Delco module in the original box if you prefer that instead. The box was opened to verify its contents but the module was never used. Let me know if you want a pic and I'll dig it up when I get home. Some may disagree but I've had troubles with other modules and my Caspers tester only works with the original Delco modules so it's all I use.

I have a few original coil pack/ modules that I could turn you on to, if that's what you're looking for. I went with Bobs Tr6 setup primarily because I want to drive the car when I want to, and be able to buy parts anywhere. Then I found out what the 2-step was about!
We were posting on another thread here, and you had mentioned that a little bit here and a little bit there, my slow car would turn 9's. Damn, now it does, and now I need more brakes, suspension, dollars etc.
Let me know;)

Why have I been led to believe from so many others that a good ignition module was so hard to find? Many have told me it's a crap shoot.

I never felt the imminent need to go coil-on-plug because the stock ignition system worked flawlessly to the performance level I'm currently at. And like so many others before me, I'm sure it can take me much further. But I was under the impression that things change, and it's becoming increasingly more difficult to find decent replacement parts. When given a choice, I never use used parts no matter how much I could save. I'd rather park it and wait until I find a new replacement.

These days, I don't deal with inconvenience very well. I want to drive the thing. And I don't want to keep any replacement parts in my trunk. Just 800 horsepower and open road.

6 years 20k+ miles and lots of hits with a shifting range up to 7000rpm sure:D

I have at least one never used AC Delco module in the original box if you prefer that instead. The box was opened to verify its contents but the module was never used. Let me know if you want a pic and I'll dig it up when I get home. Some may disagree but I've had troubles with other modules and my Caspers tester only works with the original Delco modules so it's all I use.
Thank you! I may hit you up in a PM later this week.
I have a few original coil pack/ modules that I could turn you on to, if that's what you're looking for. I went with Bobs Tr6 setup primarily because I want to drive the car when I want to, and be able to buy parts anywhere. Then I found out what the 2-step was about!
We were posting on another thread here, and you had mentioned that a little bit here and a little bit there, my slow car would turn 9's. Damn, now it does, and now I need more brakes, suspension, dollars etc.
Let me know;)
I'm using the little Hartline 2-Step adapter box for the XFI. This helped me pause a move to go TR-6. But sometimes it seems that sooner or later you can't stop progress.
6 years 20k+ miles and lots of hits with a shifting range up to 7000rpm sure:D
My RPM range is way into that neighborhood as well. This is good to know!

Thank you all.
I will placing orders for some summer projects this next week after the holiday.

I would go with the TR6. My factory ICM died years ago and I used Autozone replacement and it worked fine. While engine was out the ICM,coil,plug wires were pulled as a unit and the ICM went out on the shelf. They exchanged it no problem. But 12 years later it still works but I put a spare Delco module/coil pack in a box when I go out of town.

A couple of thoughts...... First, most cops are jerkoffs.....and they're lyin sacks a shit..... Second, should've gone LS7...... On a serious note, why not use a distributor with a crank trigger. That's what I'm using.

Sounds like a fun filled day until the Trooper lit your lady up. (n)

I'd be curious to see if it would run with that old coil pack and module back on it.

A couple of thoughts...... First, most cops are jerkoffs.....and they're lyin sacks a shit..... Second, should've gone LS7...... On a serious note, why not use a distributor with a crank trigger. That's what I'm using.
I can't even tell you how much it hurt me to see how upset my girlfriend was. She has not been well for about a year now. And it's been tough for her to get back in the grove. But she's doing it and I'm proud. For her to be alone and frightened by an intimidating officer on a long dark stretch of highway, at nearly 11 at night, just wasn't right. What he did was just wrong.

An on another note. The cop who rolled up on us when my Buick was stalled, was a great guy. He was helpful and understanding. He was able to see how special my Buick is to me and understood how important it was that I be given an opportunity to get it running. In my town (maybe everywhere) if a car is disabled and not in a legal parking area, they can have it towed away using the towing company contracted by the town. And they usually don't waste any time doing it. This guy helped me push it!

I guess there's good and bad in all kinds of people. Although, I must admit, I haven't found any good in some certain kinds of people. I'll try to remain open minded.

About the ignition.......When I fabbed up the Twin Turbo set-up 12 years ago, I just never figured for an aftermarket ignition system. My buddies were running 9's and 8's with stockers, and so I said stock was good enough for me as well. And it always has been. Until I used up my only spare.

And finally, some of the board members who know me personally will tell you, I'm not a "car guy". Surprised? For the most part, I hate cars. I hate owning them, cleaning them, working on them, even driving them! I'm not even much of a speed fanatic. But one thing I can say for sure.......I am an absolute Buick Turbo Regal Fanatic!

Cars to me are like tools used to get a job done. When they break, just throw them away. No car and no engine really get's me all that exited. I appreciate fine workmanship in all types of things. But not even close to the extent I feel when I see a well cared for Turbo Regal and it's little V6. The two just go together so well. So an LS motor is totally out of the question. But you already knew this part and you just felt like sticking it to me.:D

Sounds like a fun filled day until the Trooper lit your lady up. (n)

I'd be curious to see if it would run with that old coil pack and module back on it.
It would!

A few years back I had this happen to me before. The problem would come and go. If the car sat for a while it would work. I didn't know what the trouble was. So I threw parts at it. I never really new what fixed the problem back then.The module ended up in my parts draw. Then last year I was chasing a miss in one cylinder showing up as a cold EGT on XFI data logs. So I swapped it back on. Turned out to be nothing more than a bad plug wire. But the car ran fine after I made up new plug wires. So I left it.

Now the problem has returned again. And of course I have it off again. And I put the one on I took off last summer. Witch, by the way, never gave me any trouble.

So now I have answered my problem from years ago. And I'm sure if I swap it back on it will work. But just like before, who knows for how long. And where.

I can't even tell you how much it hurt me to see how upset my girlfriend was. She has not been well for about a year now. And it's been tough for her to get back in the grove. But she's doing it and I'm proud. For her to be alone and frightened by an intimidating officer on a long dark stretch of highway, at nearly 11 at night, just wasn't right. What he did was just wrong.

An on another note. The cop who rolled up on us when my Buick was stalled, was a great guy. He was helpful and understanding. He was able to see how special my Buick is to me and understood how important it was that I be given an opportunity to get it running. In my town (maybe everywhere) if a car is disabled and not in a legal parking area, they can have it towed away using the towing company contracted by the town. And they usually don't waste any time doing it. This guy helped me push it!

I guess there's good and bad in all kinds of people. Although, I must admit, I haven't found any good in some certain kinds of people. I'll try to remain open minded.

About the ignition.......When I fabbed up the Twin Turbo set-up 12 years ago, I just never figured for an aftermarket ignition system. My buddies were running 9's and 8's with stockers, and so I said stock was good enough for me as well. And it always has been. Until I used up my only spare.

And finally, some of the board members who know me personally will tell you, I'm not a "car guy". Surprised? For the most part, I hate cars. I hate owning them, cleaning them, working on them, even driving them! I'm not even much of a speed fanatic. But one thing I can say for sure.......I am an absolute Buick Turbo Regal Fanatic!

Cars to me are like tools used to get a job done. When they break, just throw them away. No car and no engine really get's me all that exited. I appreciate fine workmanship in all types of things. But not even close to the extent I feel when I see a well cared for Turbo Regal and it's little V6. The two just go together so well. So an LS motor is totally out of the question. But you already knew this part and you just felt like sticking it to me.:D

Sorry to hear about your girl. She just has to brush that off and realize he's just a dildo. What's even worse is when you're out of state.....forget it. They don't give a shit and that's when the real asshole comes out.

As for the LS remark that's just me being an ass..... I know how you feel about them in a GN....

COP is a great option too. Lot of people like them and it's a real clean look. Since you have a FAST engine management you can use the XIM. I used a distributor because Chris Hogeland advised me to use one with a crank trigger so that's what I went with.

It would!

A few years back I had this happen to me before. The problem would come and go. If the car sat for a while it would work. I didn't know what the trouble was. So I threw parts at it. I never really new what fixed the problem back then.The module ended up in my parts draw. Then last year I was chasing a miss in one cylinder showing up as a cold EGT on XFI data logs. So I swapped it back on. Turned out to be nothing more than a bad plug wire. But the car ran fine after I made up new plug wires. So I left it.

Now the problem has returned again. And of course I have it off again. And I put the one on I took off last summer. Witch, by the way, never gave me any trouble.

So now I have answered my problem from years ago. And I'm sure if I swap it back on it will work. But just like before, who knows for how long. And where.

Sounds like a flaky connection. They can be a real pita to track down.

Sounds like a flaky connection. They can be a real pita to track down.
Loose connection where? Inside the module?

To clarify what I said earlier, because even I'm confused.:confused:

The module that gave me problems on Friday, has been on only since last fall, and is the same one that I had on years ago, when I had problems then.

The one I replaced it with, is the one that I have been running for years before last fall, and hasn't given me any troubles, so it's back on.

When I had trouble long ago, and I was throwing parts at it, I thought and looked for a loose connection too. Couldn't find anything and the problem was intermittent. I even thought about water/moisture (When I drive it often, I sometimes rinse my engine as often as every 2 weeks). But after that problem disappeared, it never returned. Until the other night. And when it did, I had that frigging module on it.

It returned to the seen of the crime!:sneaky:

"I even thought about water/moisture (When I drive it often, I sometimes rinse my engine as often as every 2 weeks)."

You're saying you spray the engine off with water,often?

I remember back when i bought a new GN in 87. When I would take it to the car wash. I would raise the hood and spray the engine off because i wanted to keep it clean as possible and as i was driving away once the engine started to miss,run rough and cutout. I got some water somewhere it shouldn't have,i never did that any more. I would wipe the engine/compartment off but never sprayed it again.

"I even thought about water/moisture (When I drive it often, I sometimes rinse my engine as often as every 2 weeks)."

You're saying you spray the engine off with water,often?

I remember back when i bought a new GN in 87. When I would take it to the car wash. I would raise the hood and spray the engine off because i wanted to keep it clean as possible and as i was driving away once the engine started to miss,run rough and cutout. I got some water somewhere it shouldn't have,i never did that any more. I would wipe the engine/compartment off but never sprayed it again.
I knew this would be questioned.

Yes. I wash my engine bay often. This will never change. My entire set-up, all wiring, all connections, every splice, every gasket, every grommet, every single thing I have ever touched, has always been assembled with the intent to run the engine practically UNDER WATER!!!!!

I have always known that from day one, it would not be allowed to get dirty. White glove clean always. So I almost look forward to finding that one spot that may not be good enough. It gives me a reason to correct the problem.

I have been successful. I never worry about water infiltration. 12 years of driving and thousands of miles and sometimes just rinsing it, and sometimes washing it hard with soap and water. It still looks like this. So yea, it's worth it.

IMG_0676.jpg

Joeys_car_pics_011[1].jpg