Level Up Plan for Spring. You Like?

I hear all you guys.

I'm beginning to think my best bet is to put more foundational pieces in place first while practicing at the track and before I bump the turbo, etc.

I think I may focus on getting the trans and TC built to my goals. Good Jan/Feb project.

I also think I may invest in better stuff than just the scan master for tuning and seeing what is going on. I have a ton of gauges but it's not the same as logging, tuning and really seeing what's happening. I feel like I'm driving blind right now where you don't know the "edge", only guessing. I need to get more proactive and less reactive. After pricing up all my options, that new Buick Sportsman XFI setup from Hartline is hard to beat in the long run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sportsman XFI looks like a nice product.

Goal: consistent low 11s. Crack off a 10.xx here and there. 85% street. 15% track.

Here's the plan to take the GN to the next level. See anything you would suggest doing differently???
  • CASV4 SLIC upgrade to RJC 315-XTF Front Mount.
  • Add Spal Dual Fans.
  • Change out 42# injectors and chip to 60# flow matched injectors and new chip.
  • Swap TA49 turbo for a TA6262 or a TA6266. Garrett .63. PTE CEA style? Journal.
  • Swap factory TB/Plenum/Power Plate for 70MM TB/Plenum/Power Plate.
  • Have the stock Trans built for 10s.
  • Swap stock torque converter for a ProTorque 10" 2600-2800 lockup.
  • Add B&M 70264 Trans Cooler.
  • Add Hughes HP3880 Deep Trans. Pan.
  • Already in place: Alky, 3" downpipe, big air intake, exhaust, dump, valve springs, suspension, bracing, bags if needed, alum. wheels, drag radials, adj. FPR, scan master, etc..
  • Run stock MAF till it can't or upgrade to LT1 3" or LS1 3.5" plus Translator.
  • Heads stock, exhaust manifolds stock.
PLEASE jump in if you see me making mistakes anywhere.

Thank you!
If your 15% track I would lower your goals and keep what you have and make it a 11.40/60 car.to me going a .5 faster is not worth the trouble unless your truly racing.you really should have ported heads and a small cam with the right converter and fuel system to run 10s.dont get me wrong because it can be done I ran 10s with a 49 stock cam and 42s with twin m10s but it's just easier to do with slightly bigger turbo heads cam converter and a good tune.now your into several thousands.10s on the stock motor now vs years ago is different ball game our stuff was newer.think of it this way when you break it trying to push the heck out of it to run the number you will be looking to upgrade to the things I have posted.

11.81@113.68 today at Atco with a 1.636 60-foot. Even slipped a little. Could only get 3 runs in due to 3 hours of track shutdown due to crashes and spills. Should have had 5 or 6 passes. Car definitely has an 11.6x in her.
20171124_154839.jpg

If your 15% track I would lower your goals and keep what you have and make it a 11.40/60 car.to me going a .5 faster is not worth the trouble unless your truly racing.you really should have ported heads and a small cam with the right converter and fuel system to run 10s.dont get me wrong because it can be done I ran 10s with a 49 stock cam and 42s with twin m10s but it's just easier to do with slightly bigger turbo heads cam converter and a good tune.now your into several thousands.10s on the stock motor now vs years ago is different ball game our stuff was newer.think of it this way when you break it trying to push the heck out of it to run the number you will be looking to upgrade to the things I have posted.
How did you get into 10s with a 49? What boost? Converter? What was the combo?

You need to have a prefect tune, perfect launch and perfect combo to run tens on a 49. For now shoot for 11.5. Depending on how strict the track is you may get the boot going faster without a rollbar. I did.

Mr Spool is correct. If you wanna run 11 flat all day...then the best thing to do is get a good convertor...a slightly larger turbo...and a good set of heads. I have my car set up to run 7 flat for bracket racing all day long. Mild boost...easy tune...and an easy launch.

Pronto is absolutely correct. Faster than 11.5...and you'll get the boot without the proper safety equipment.

Shoot for 11.5 with what you have...and call it a day.

How did you get into 10s with a 49? What boost? Converter? What was the combo?

4.10 rear gears,10.5 pro torque lockup 3200,stock mild ported heads/100lb valve springs,stock maf tt chip 5.6.all the boost would see 30psi depending on air 26degrees of timing on a 275/60/15 drag radial.car would go 125mph in the 1/4@3800lbs and 60ft in the high 1.4s.on a small wet shot it went 6.6 in the 1/8 and was still traction limited.

You need to have a prefect tune, perfect launch and perfect combo to run tens on a 49. For now shoot for 11.5. Depending on how strict the track is you may get the boot going faster without a rollbar. I did.
I don't know if I can handle being called perfect but let's just say maximized;)

4.10 rear gears,10.5 pro torque lockup 3200,stock mild ported heads/100lb valve springs,stock maf tt chip 5.6.all the boost would see 30psi depending on air 26degrees of timing on a 275/60/15 drag radial.car would go 125mph in the 1/4@3800lbs and 60ft in the high 1.4s.on a small wet shot it went 6.6 in the 1/8 and was still traction limited.

Was that with the Pro Torque locked or unlocked? Do you have any slip numbers for it locked and unlocked? TIA

Was that with the Pro Torque locked or unlocked? Do you have any slip numbers for it locked and unlocked? TIA
Locked up in 3rd,4.5mph gain vs unlocked but only dropped a tenth.with a 49 you have to hammer the car 1st part of the track hard.my friend with a 49/stock motor and a 3500 stall art Carr would go 11.09 at 118/119mph he was a bit lighter than me and on slicks.

When I had the Pat's 12" 2800 stall I locked in 3rd also at 90mph. Saw the same 4-5 mph increase.

Tire-wise, my first two runs were with my MT ET Street SS 295/55-15 on gbody alum 10" rims and the bags had full air so they wouldn't rub the outside lip. Didn't heat them enough, spun a lot, still ran a 12.8 but the mph was better at 115.

Next run, I thought I'd give the big tires one more try and heat them more. Ran a better 60 foot but I could feel the car bounce off the line. My son took a video of this run and I could see the bounce. Still ran a 12.2 at about 115 trap.

Ok, enough of that so time to switch tires and let the air out of the bags. I have the HRparts bar so I emptied both bags.

Switched to the 255/60-15 MT ET Street SS tires which are shorter. These are on the factory GN wheels. Aired them down to 17-18 pounds. Heated the crap out of the tires since they were sitting on a rack in my garage for a year.

Launched the car at about 10#, it hooked darn good, stepped sideways a hair but still worked out. I was hoping for one more run to perfect the launch.

For the front tires, I was running my "aesthetic set" of gbody aluminum replica 15x8 wheels with a 265/55-15 tire. These were aired up to 40. The fronts are lighter than a stock setup but I can definitely see how a skinny setup could help me pickup another tenth, I guess.

Th
Tire-wise, my first two runs were with my MT ET Street SS 295/55-15 on gbody alum 10" rims and the bags had full air so they wouldn't rub the outside lip. Didn't heat them enough, spun a lot, still ran a 12.8 but the mph was better at 115.

Next run, I thought I'd give the big tires one more try and heat them more. Ran a better 60 foot but I could feel the car bounce off the line. My son took a video of this run and I could see the bounce. Still ran a 12.2 at about 115 trap.

Ok, enough of that so time to switch tires and let the air out of the bags. I have the HRparts bar so I emptied both bags.

Switched to the 255/60-15 MT ET Street SS tires which are shorter. These are on the factory GN wheels. Aired them down to 17-18 pounds. Heated the crap out of the tires since they were sitting on a rack in my garage for a year.

Launched the car at about 10#, it hooked darn good, stepped sideways a hair but still worked out. I was hoping for one more run to perfect the launch.

For the front tires, I was running my "aesthetic set" of gbody aluminum replica 15x8 wheels with a 265/55-15 tire. These were aired up to 40. The fronts are lighter than a stock setup but I can definitely see how a skinny setup could help me pickup another tenth, I guess.

e 295/55/15 will be the faster tire,it can be hit with more power off the line and has more rollout.the bounce is the suspention unloading need play with it a little more and add power to keep the transfer.run 10psi less in the left airbag rt should always be higher