Lets Talk Trans Coolers

SloGN

I'm a ASSHOLE.....
howdy guys

I would like to know what you small non lock converter guys are running for trans coolers.....

I seem to be having a problem with fluid being blown out of the overflow tube on the top of the trans..

My current cooler is a tube and fin type thats 7X14 3/4 inch thick.. Its located if front of the radiator/a/c stack up. The RJC intercooler is in front of it. i have dual fans

I dynoed the car to see if i could find out where the fluid is coming from and its from the overflow. I have this same problem on the street and the track too.

The pan temp was 140 degrees the center of the case was 185 . The convertor was 241 degrees.

The convertor is a PTC 17 blade 9.5 inch..

Thansk for the help

Trucool 4590 LPD cooler on anything I put one on, but not a non lock guy. Out the vent is usually overful(waaay), pump issue . Put a pressure guage in the outlet ad inlet of the trans and see what they read.

Trucool 4590 LPD cooler on anything I put one on, but not a non lock guy. Out the vent is usually overful(waaay), pump issue . Put a pressure guage in the outlet ad inlet of the trans and see what they read.

Check the pressure relief spring on the pump, it maybe broke or the wrong one installed as well.

There is a lot of hocus-pocus surrounding trans cooler style, size, flow and efficiency. It's difficult to find what is needed for our cars. Location, intercooler type, converter type, stall, fitting type, using the radiator internal cooler, etc all send you down rabbit holes trying to decide what is right for your mods. It would be nice to at least know what the minimum btu is needed for a typical trans/converter setup for 10s and work it from there.

There is a lot of hocus-pocus surrounding trans cooler style, size, flow and efficiency. It's difficult to find what is needed for our cars. Location, intercooler type, converter type, stall, fitting type, using the radiator internal cooler, etc all send you down rabbit holes trying to decide what is right for your mods. It would be nice to at least know what the minimum btu is needed for a typical trans/converter setup for 10s and work it from there.

I totally agree!! It seems that all of the units i have looked at are being rated in GVW for towing lol........

I found a BM supercooler that was rated in BTU's and it was like 29,200.. but i would still like to know if its really correct for my application.

My car is a high 9 second ride..... But i drive it like its a taxi cab! So it sees alot of road time for extended drives.

The fluid blowing out only occurs if go WOT. it don't do it normal driving.

I use a derale w a 500 cfm fan. Running it through Alradco rad it reads 200. Now the sensor is not in pan but inline. Don't know how much temp diff there would be. When the fan wasn't working it was really hot w fan on it'll cool it a good 20-30 degress

you think its temperature, or RPM related? Temperature would be related to the amount of torque, so the spillage should be less on your low boost pulls.

B

I'm no expert, but 241 degrees does not sound excessive for something that does that to the oil.... We could put my car on the dyno and compare..... :)

B

How bout installing a transmission breather catch can? Just be sure to check it & drain it periodically.

No sprag I assume?
I totally agree!! It seems that all of the units i have looked at are being rated in GVW for towing lol........

I found a BM supercooler that was rated in BTU's and it was like 29,200.. but i would still like to know if its really correct for my application.

My car is a high 9 second ride..... But i drive it like its a taxi cab! So it sees alot of road time for extended drives.

The fluid blowing out only occurs if go WOT. it don't do it normal driving.
@bison can explain if needed. What I learned is: the convertor sprag allows the stator to freewheel during low torque useage like yours when just cruising. With no sprag the oil has to be forced thought the stator at all times. That heats the fluid a lot. If your temp is too high then you go wide open, that's why it foams out.

Only drawback I see to a sprag is it can break coming out of a burnout. So to avoid breaking it they just solid mount it,

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Just for reference, here is a Trucool 4739 mounted behind a RJC 315. Have not used it yet so I don't know how well it will work.

45,000 btu's is pretty high from what I've seen. That one is on the thick side, probably wouldn't fit between a front mount and the condenser.

I'm running a Vintage Air kit and a BeCool rad. It will all fit. Not sure about a stock condenser though.