PL file critique please-suspect false knock

GNVYUS 1

So I replaced as many bulbs as possible with LED and it's been great until this last issue with the front side marker lights.

They are 194 bulbs and my LED 194s have worked everywhere else so far. Initially they did not flicker because I had the factory flashers in, so I replaced both the flashers and I get all of the turn signal lights to flash except for these 2 small side marker lights. Damn, so close.

I have seen others post about adding relays but I'm curious where do you add these relays to possibly knock down the current draw even more?

Thanks

I’m assuming they light up when the parking lights are on.
I believe the polarity is reversed when the turn signals are engaged.

A 4 pin Bosch style relay would be installed near each side marker light. The bulb socket would be cut off with enough wire to reuse. The #85 and #86 terminals will connect to the car side wires and will create enough load for the flashers to work.
Because they connect to the activating coil and they reverse polarity during turn signal operation it doesn’t matter which wire goes where.

A 12v + fused accessory or hot wire will connect to the #30 terminal on both relays.
One of the bulb socket wires will connect to the #87 terminal and the other bulb socket wire will connect to the frame ground.

If you don’t want to cut wires, you can trim down some male spade terminals to fit the light bulb socket and tape up very well. Purchase replacement light bulb sockets with pigtails.

Most LED’s are polarity sensitive and will need to be installed correctly, I believe this is why the parking light works and the turn signals don’t. I bet if you flip the LED around, the turn signal will work and the parking light won’t.

This setup will provide 12v power to the light bulb and will be triggered by the car wiring.

I’ll see if I can find a wiring schematic for you as well.

I hope this helps and makes sense.

Thanks, a schematic will help. I bet my electronics buddy can figure out how to do a plug and play for me.

At least the turn signals currently work so you can drive the car around. The marker lights being dead is lame but not a huge loss so far but I'd like to have them match the blue turn signal lights.

I couldn’t find one that was relative, so I made my own. I hope this helps.
A 5 amp fuse should be more than enough to run 2 LED’s.

1B1FCA4B-06C0-440D-8003-21B883A17999.jpeg

Thanks, that solved that problem. Then Chuck crushed my vision for even doing external LED lights so I'm back to factory bulbs. Interior looks cool as blue LED though.

I’m assuming they light up when the parking lights are on.
I believe the polarity is reversed when the turn signals are engaged.

Most LED’s are polarity sensitive and will need to be installed correctly, I believe this is why the parking light works and the turn signals don’t. I bet if you flip the LED around, the turn signal will work and the parking light won’t.

1986 Buick GX1 and GNVYUS 1,

I've been converting the exterior lights to LED and came across this same issue. Even with an LED flasher, the marker lights would not behave correctly, so just guessing, I swapped in a "non-polarity" 194 from my daily, and it worked normally. Then I ordered an amber "non-polarity" 194 to live in the Buick, and it is also working fine.

Hope this is helpful.

1986 Buick GX1 and GNVYUS 1,

I've been converting the exterior lights to LED and came across this same issue. Even with an LED flasher, the marker lights would not behave correctly, so just guessing, I swapped in a "non-polarity" 194 from my daily, and it worked normally. Then I ordered an amber "non-polarity" 194 to live in the Buick, and it is also working fine.

Hope this is helpful.

Yeah, sure, take the easy way out. Lol
It’s nice they make non-polarized LED’s now.

Thank you for posting.

"So you're saying there's a chance"?

LOL, looks like I might have to test the law and bring back my blue LED lights. Thanks for the post, this might save a bunch of future GN members the relay install.

"So you're saying there's a chance"?

LOL, looks like I might have to test the law and bring back my blue LED lights. Thanks for the post, this might save a bunch of future GN members the relay install.
After all the bacon-saving advice I've gotten from this board over the years, it's nice to give something back.