Leak from breather (M90)

87gninpa

A few weeks ago I noticed some supercharger oil under the hood near the pulley. Figured it was the snout seal, but the back of the pulley is bone dry, its coming from the breather on the front. I pulled the breather bolt and put a plastic plug in the snout, but its still leaking.

What can cause this, and how can I go about correcting it? I really hate the smell of that blower oil when I open the hood.

Whats the fix for that? Ive only had it apart enough to replace the coupler, not sure where that seal is. Would I be better of sourcing a good used unit?

Without knowing all the info on your car i would say that the rotor bearings were going...the material from the bearings going is what destroyed your coupler.... And with the play in the bearings boost is leaking past the seal or the seal is just bad... Zzp was selling rotor packs for like 400$ don't know if they still are. But either way a good used unit prob your cheapest bet... Hth

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Ill look for a good used unit, Ive seen them around.

They will also leak from vent if snout oil is over full... I just figured you would have checked that already.... Does blower make any rattling noises kinda like a rock tumbler? A coupler will rattle at idle if rotor bearings or gears are failing it will rattle off idle have someone hold it at 2k rpm and listen

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Pretty sure its not overfull. Changed the oil 30k miles ago with the coupler and it just started leaking. Blower makes no noise at all at idle or off idle. Took the belt off and it feels nice and smooth as well. I could try taking some oil out, but it just started leaking out of nowhere. Just to be sure, what is the correct fill level? I always thought it was to the bottom of the fill plug. Also, there is a small amount of oil around the fill plug, which makes me believe the boost is getting into the snout as you suggested. I dont think oil would be there unless there was boost pressure there.

Prob just the seal leaking boost into snout then.. I always fill the fluid just to the bottom thread of the fill plug hole...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Does this cause any other issues than the breather leaking a bit of oil? Might just leave it for a bit if thats the only problem it causes.

As long as you don't hear any rattling noises from the blower and keep an eye on the fluid i wouldn't worry about it...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app