Latest Indy Buick V6 Driver

fitz3820

She is really quick!!! Well the car doesn't run (yet) I am going to work on it as it is a friend of a friend's.

If anyone has buick indy parts let me know.

Sorry forgot the attachment

Attachments

• indycar2.jpg
    indycar2.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 364
There's a guy over in Indiana, thta took one of the Buick Indy cars, and made a street car out of it. Added headlights, brake lights, DOT tires, etc, etc. What was interesting was that he used an extension housing for the starter drive, for adding a starter, and alternator off of where the original starter drive plugged in.

Just a FWIW.

Are those both yours?

How does one locate and or buy an Indy car? I've never seen anything like that available. Are they running cars? What price range do they sell for? (Not trying to be nosey and ask what you paid.)

Originally posted by Nashty
Are those both yours?

How does one locate and or buy an Indy car? I've never seen anything like that available. Are they running cars? What price range do they sell for? (Not trying to be nosey and ask what you paid.)

Nope, the only thing that is mine is my daughter!

They belong to a museum that I the owners through a friend. They want the car to run so they had me look at it, they have a bunch of spare parts too.

The car is part of a collection of about 15-20 indy cars from the 40's through a 1995 Michael Andretti Lola Cosworth.

Look in the back of Autoweek magazine, they usually have race cars for sale in the classifieds

Race car value is usually tied to its success and who drove it.

old indy car.

if you had a 7 year old buick powered indy car, where could you race it? you could not race it in the indy 500. a lot of the indy teams in the 80 and early 90 had chevrolet v-6 , alum, bowtie engines, i had a lot of indy engine parts, and give some away and sold some,:)

Of course you can't race it in the 500, way too old and the rules are different now (no turbo's for one)

There are vintage races that you can compete in though.

The museum tries to have most of their cars in running condition, they want to convert it to gasoline as well. I have to pull the motor to see what the real story is.

Re: old indy car.

Originally posted by odell4o8
if you had a 7 year old buick powered indy car, where could you race it? you could not race it in the indy 500. a lot of the indy teams in the 80 and early 90 had chevrolet v-6 , alum, bowtie engines, i had a lot of indy engine parts, and give some away and sold some,:)

Yes, but in the 80's and early 90's, Buick was also heavilly into the indy car program and raced a number of entries in the 500.
The Menard team comes to mind. Scott Brayton among many others.

indy buick

Back in 1986 i bought a new vet, and the corvette plant and chevrolet gave me a free pass to the indy 500 all the food and drinks were free, i had a gasoline alley pass and got to meet a lot of drivers, brayton was a great driver his old crew chief Jim wright still runs brayton engr, in coldwater michigan, scotts old indy car is mounted overhead in the shop, last time i was there all the buick parts had been sold. the motor in my car was a practice motor that was run by brayton, good luck oc,

I've never heard of chevy running a stock block turbo v6 in the lats 80's to when cart and geoge split. I know menard ran a nascar v8 in the early 80's ,but it was so of the pace they scraped the idea. The only other engines (versions)chevy ran were ohc engines and they were built by Illmore. I've got all the race programs and there are no chevy sixes.

i had a lot of indy engine parts, and give some away and sold some,:)

Odell,

Got any S2 valve covers for cheap? I need a set for a mockup. When I get it done, I'll send you some pictures of my Indy motor.

Roger

Re: Re: old indy car.

Originally posted by Nashty
Odell,

Got any S2 valve covers for cheap? I need a set for a mockup. When I get it done, I'll send you some pictures of my Indy motor.

Roger

Roger,

I probably have a set here..give me a call. I might want 'em back though after you're done. :)

Odell gave me a bunch of Indy parts a year or so ago; some of them (front cover, dry sump pan) went to a guy who's working on (I believe) an Indy Lights car in Canada. I still have the heads and if I ever get off my butt and send the money, I'll have a set of mechanical FI stacks for them. I'd like to put them on my back up motor.

rocker arm covers

roger, hanging on my garage wall i have a set that was on a buick engine indy car it was a show only engine, no holes for oil ,etc. not for sale, i have four other sets laying around, let me know what you want to pay, they are not worth much, a friend has serval sets along with some indy parts, he lives in dayton ohio, by the way there used to be a class few years ago at a local 1/4 mile high bank track called super sixes, i hunted up some of the car owners and they run chevrolet, buick, and ford six clinders, some run in line 6 cyl, i went to a racers auction at lawerence burg indiana, looking for buick stage engines, found none, i met a old man that run dirt modified cars with buick 6 cyl,[stage blocks] he said his team switched to chev, 6 cyl, before he quit racing that class, i called serval of the people that he give me ph# for they had sold their buick engines so cheap, i dam near cryed, just wanted to share that with someone, later,;)

I was talking about cart indy cars. Cars that ran the indy 500 in the late 80's to the demise of the turbo.