Largest turbo?

6SENSE

Need to know what is largest turbo that can be used with stock configuration (which would include my V1)? Im assuming a stock '87 housing turbo.

ANDwhat is the largest turbo that will fit with a JSM intake style setup? Im hoping larger than a stock '87 housing turbo. I would love to stay with stock type intake but since I may not be able to get a larger turbo modded for the stock hotair configuration I may be using this intake style instead which would allow me to use a turbo designed for '86/'87 since the TB is no longer before the turbo. I want to be able to go big though, say 67? Need to know before I start spending money that I really dont have :rolleyes: Trying to stay motivated here on this 4.1 project, so help me out :D

TIA, Justin

I fit a TE44 with my JS Intake, but it was really tight.....and the wastegate stuck way out....BARELY cleared, it smushed up into the hood liner.

ta54

im running a Ta-54 on my car but the wastegate is pushed way up into the heat shield. i dont mind since it pushes the hood insulator up and keeps it further away from the heat.

Thanks for the replies so far, man I couldnt wait for the board to be back up and running.
Do you guys have any installed pics that I could check out? Plus what are the specs on the turbos. Any #s at track or dyno with your setups?

Boost231, Is this the same TA54 that PTE has for 86/87, which I think is rated up to 615hp? Or is it custom? If you are still in stock hotair configuration with TB attached to turbo isnt there an issue with needing a carbon seal backing plate which I was told isnt readily available? Other than that I know you must weld the intake adaptor, reclock and use a adaptor to align the TB.

This time around I am building to be capable of running 10s. I would like a 10.99 pass sometime with consistent mid 11's a non-issue. I dont see anything stopping me from this goal other than being able to fit the turbo I want. I would love to be able to slap a dual ball bearing 67 on my setup that I saw for sale but not sure if there is any chance of that fitting. Right now is the only time Ive had the notion of needing to change to 86/87 config and its not for a intercooler, but just to be able to fit a bigger turbo:rolleyes: I still dont want my engine compartment to look like every other TR around here.

Any others out there with experience in this department, or opinions/suggestions, please post. Give specs and pics if you can.

Would a TA60 fit? I think I know someone with one for sale. Is it enough turbo to run the #s I mentioned? I think I read it rated at 570 hp at PTE's site.

Would a TA60 fit? I think I know someone with one for sale. Is it enough turbo to run the #s I mentioned? I think I read it rated at 570 hp at PTE's site.

Yes I have a TA62 on my stock set up. I sent you some pics about a month ago, but here is the turbo installed.

Attachments

• Image004.jpg
    Image004.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Image007.jpg
    Image007.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 399
  • Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 369
  • Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 359
Thanks for the replies so far, man I couldnt wait for the board to be back up and running.
Do you guys have any installed pics that I could check out? Plus what are the specs on the turbos. Any #s at track or dyno with your setups?

Boost231, Is this the same TA54 that PTE has for 86/87, which I think is rated up to 615hp? Or is it custom? If you are still in stock hotair configuration with TB attached to turbo isnt there an issue with needing a carbon seal backing plate which I was told isnt readily available? Other than that I know you must weld the intake adaptor, reclock and use a adaptor to align the TB.

This time around I am building to be capable of running 10s. I would like a 10.99 pass sometime with consistent mid 11's a non-issue. I dont see anything stopping me from this goal other than being able to fit the turbo I want. I would love to be able to slap a dual ball bearing 67 on my setup that I saw for sale but not sure if there is any chance of that fitting. Right now is the only time Ive had the notion of needing to change to 86/87 config and its not for a intercooler, but just to be able to fit a bigger turbo:rolleyes: I still dont want my engine compartment to look like every other TR around here.

Any others out there with experience in this department, or opinions/suggestions, please post. Give specs and pics if you can.

yes the ta-54 i have is the same one PTE sales. all i did was reclock it and weld the adapter piece to the turbo. i had PTE do it since they had done one once before on lees car if i remember right. also my car is still in stock hotair configuration and i have every mod done to the car that i can think of. next is heads once i get this setup dialed in.

Yes I have a TA62 on my stock set up. I sent you some pics about a month ago, but here is the turbo installed.

AWESOME SHOTS!!!!! THis is the exact set-up I am going to use in a year or two (when I can get the $$$ for a TA 64)...What plate did you use to adapt the TB? R u using a stock elbow or a DP wiht the gate? Your set-up looks amazing!!!!! CLEAN!!!!!

John

AWESOME SHOTS!!!!! THis is the exact set-up I am going to use in a year or two (when I can get the $$$ for a TA 64)...What plate did you use to adapt the TB? R u using a stock elbow or a DP wiht the gate? Your set-up looks amazing!!!!! CLEAN!!!!!

John

Thanks for the complement. I actually bought the adapter plate from turbo6x2 a couple of years ago, but after looking at it the fabrication of one is very simple if you have access to a machine shop. I have the turbo off now and will try to get some more shots in later (off to Reynolds this morning). You will have to use a 86-87 wastegate or drill a extra bolt hole for your 84-85 wastegate to line up right. But I'm using a Lee Thompsom 3" pipe with an external gate. I was going to get a ta64 big shaft turbo also but that turbo needs very good heads, a lot of stall, and a good size cam, too much for my needs. A ta60-62 imho is plenty for dual street and track duty and will flow enough air to run mid 10's. So far I've run consistant 13'0s with this turbo traction limited @ only 16 psi. Haven't been able to run anymore than 18psi because of KR issues. I am currenty running a Protorque 10" lock-up 3000-3200 and I can tell you the boost comes up quick with plenty of street manners. Got to go!! be back soon.

Thanks guys! You have made me feel a little better. I am trying to think of performance first but really want to keep the different look of the 84/85 configuration. Now at least I know that I can grab a real turbo and not worry about sticking with the restrictive stock housings.
Long block is a '84 291 casting 4.1 w/ .020 forged pistons, polished stock 2dot rods, std/std turbo crank, balanced, 208/224 Schneider Racing cam, 1.5/1.77 valve stage2 ported heads from Precision Motorsports of Florida. Heads flowed 146.7 max cfm @ .5000 lift stock, now flow 215.4 max cfm @ .5500 lift. So which turbo do you guys think I should be saving up for to take full advantage of the new long blocks flow potential? Again I was thinking 66 or 67 initially but pretty sure now those are not an option unless switching to 87 setup.
Like I said sticking with the hotair V1 intake would be great to keep the stock configuration and just to see the faces of the other unsuspecting racers when I open the hood, but if adding a IC is going to be a must now I do have a JS intake sitting in a box in my basement. With the JS and IC at least it will still be a different look. So what do you think? Thanks

208/224 Schneider Racing cam, 1.5/1.77 valve stage2 ported heads from Precision Motorsports of Florida. Heads flowed 146.7 max cfm @ .5000 lift stock, now flow 215.4 max cfm @ .5500 lift. So which turbo do you guys think I should be saving up for to take full advantage of the new long blocks flow potential? Again I was thinking 66 or 67 initially but pretty sure now those are not an option unless switching to 87 setup.

You don't need the biggest turbo to get your car moving with ported heads, more air flow means less boost to get the car moving. With ported heads you will flow more air @ 15lbs than you would @ 20lbs unported a 49-62 series turbo will be plenty and a minimum of 50lb injectors.

Boostmaster, looking forward to pictures of the adapter plate you used to mount your turbo. Could you also provide specifications to be used by machine shop?

Boostmaster, looking forward to pictures of the adapter plate you used to mount your turbo. Could you also provide specifications to be used by machine shop?

Here you go !!!

Attachments

• Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Image013.jpg
    Image013.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 322
  • Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 308
Boostmaster, thanks for the great pictures. Curious about the bottom end of your engine. Did you install a girdle, billet mains or pin the stock mains?

Yes, thanks to all who responded. Thanks for the great pics and insight boostmaster. I am going to call around and check pricing on the turbos mentioned. Im thinking probably ta60 or ta62 but will also check into the price on the ta64 if it will definately also work with our setup. I believe the ta54 Boost231 mentioned is similar in performance to the of the ta62(?) so I will check into it too.

By the way boostmaster, is that JB weld holding the intake adaptor to the turbo? If so, is it sufficient?

By the way boostmaster said:
Yes it is JB weld, but it is not holding the adapter in place. I actually had it welded at a welding shop but they did not have a tig and the welds were ugly as hell so I had to grind them down a bit. The JB weld is extra insurance just in case there were a few air pockets.

Great topic, I've been out for a while with no computer and thank god all the great people are still here, and we have a new site too..... anyways let me get to the point.

I am planning to install possibly a GT35R on my stock location with the intake mod that uses an 87 TB and plenum, (JS style I think)

Would a T3/T4 fit under the stock hood?

Great useful pics boostmaster!

Great topic, I've been out for a while with no computer and thank god all the great people are still here, and we have a new site too..... anyways let me get to the point.

I am planning to install possibly a GT35R on my stock location with the intake mod that uses an 87 TB and plenum, (JS style I think)

Would a T3/T4 fit under the stock hood?

Great useful pics boostmaster!
Not sure on the 35R but here are the two turbos I have narrowed my decision to: gt6152e w/ JS intake setup or ta63 w/ current V1 intake. According to PTE both of these turbos are no bigger than the turbos recommended in this thread, so should fit and should get me to my goal.

I have several of these adaptors already made up to help support the hot air community. So if there is an interest you might want to ask pricing before you pay to have one made. Just a suggestion.