Larger capacity oil filter without adapter

Ev87Ttype

I am a Wix filter Rep and I found a filter that is 40% larger capacity than the 51040 recommended filter for our 3.8L. If you would like to run a larger filter without the hassle and expense of the Biggie oil filter adapters, buy a Wix 51036 filter. If you run full synthetic oil and want a high flowing performance filter, our wix 51036XP is the way to go.

Our application calls for a 51040 which is 3.450" long and holds 9.02 oz of oil. The 51036 has the same base, thread and o ring size but is 4.828" tall and holds 12.66 oz. There is plenty of room on my car for this filter.
I also have a bunch of filters cut open, if anyone has any questions about filter quality, brands, or applications let me know. I can tell you that just because it fits, don't mean they are all the same inside. I can post pictures.

Wix XP on left . Premium Wix on right. Either is an excellent choice but the XP is designed for high performance applications using full synthetic oils

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 750
I'd be interested in how the Baldwin B35S compares... It's and industrial grade filter, a little hard to find, but is my filter of choice because of their excellent filter media, and practically bullet proof case and internals.

I will have to get one and cut it. But generally baldwin are quality filters. At least in heavy duty industrial applications.

I've been using the 51036 since my car was new. This new XP will replace the regular or will I need to order it from my oriellys? I'm guessing it will have the antidrainback valve.

both have anti drainback and a real bypass spring setup it doesnt replace the 1036 , the XP is just for a different intended usage
the XP has a synthetic filter media for longer service intervals like when using synthetic oils in a fleet vehicle or daily driver , also flows a little more and rated at 20 micron filtration (gets better over time) vs 8 micron on the 1036
because we dont run extended oil change intervals due to the turbo or rack up the miles id stay with the cheaper 1036 or napa gold 51036 and change it more frequently,

both have anti drainback and a real bypass spring setup it doesnt replace the 1036 , the XP is just for a different intended usage
the XP has a synthetic filter media for longer service intervals like when using synthetic oils in a fleet vehicle or daily driver , also flows a little more and rated at 20 micron filtration (gets better over time) vs 8 micron on the 1036
because we dont run extended oil change intervals due to the turbo or rack up the miles id stay with the cheaper 1036 or napa gold 51036 and change it more frequently,
pacecarta has got it right.

XP is a new product, not replacing the premium 51036/napa 1036. Just add XP to the end of the part number (51036xp) if you want to go that route, OReilly is now stocking most of the common sizes and their DC has all of them, so they can order it for you if needed. FYI, Im currently trying the XP since I run synthetic oil and I change my oil once a year. My car gets about 500 miles a year on it though, to and from car shows and that's about it. Im curious to see if it holds up better than a cellulose blend filter after sitting in oil for a year. Ill cut it apart when I change the oil next.

I put a few more miles than that on mine as I daily it on a 60 mile round trip. I'll stay with the regular one as I'm using Dino oil.

I'll check one out for my suburban. I guess it will be a 51060xp . It's a BBC.

I put a few more miles than that on mine as I daily it on a 60 mile round trip. I'll stay with the regular one as I'm using Dino oil.

I'll check one out for my suburban. I guess it will be a 51060xp . It's a BBC.
A 51061xp might be a tad cheaper because it won't have the anti drain back valve. Which is not needed if it's mounted vertically on the block and could save you a a little $. But if it's horizontal you will need the 51060xp.

the 51036 is the PF52 replacement, right?

i think everyone has been running that filter (or an equivalent) since these cars were new...

the 51036 is the PF52 replacement, right?

i think everyone has been running that filter (or an equivalent) since these cars were new...
Ya man, same cross as pf52. I guess I worded my post wrong. I accidentally made it sound like it's something new. I've been using it for 4 years since I bought my car too. I just wanted to post about it bc I keep seeing people ask about biggie adapters, and I read posts about people cross threading other bigger filters on the metric threads etc.

Ya man, same cross as pf52. I guess I worded my post wrong. I accidentally made it sound like it's something new. I've been using it for 4 years since I bought my car too. I just wanted to post about it bc I keep seeing people ask about biggie adapters, and I read posts about people cross threading other bigger filters on the metric threads etc.

What do you have available in the filter sizes for the biggie adapters? And if you could list longer filters for the big ones as well there may be room for extra long on some apps...... I have been running a napa 1258.
I personally run one with a blocked off relief valve in the pump so I prefer a bigger filter thats able to flow a bit more oil.
I appreciate the info on micron size etc...its hard to get sometimes.

What do you have available in the filter sizes for the biggie adapters? And if you could list longer filters for the big ones as well there may be room for extra long on some apps...... I have been running a napa 1258.
I personally run one with a blocked off relief valve in the pump so I prefer a bigger filter thats able to flow a bit more oil.
I appreciate the info on micron size etc...its hard to get sometimes.
I did some checking the other day. The filter you are currently using is basically the largest for the biggie adapter. And we don't currently make an XP in that size. Most oil filters have an internal bypass. If you are running a pump with the relief blocked, your motor could see high oil pressure which in turn could potentially cause the filter's bypass to be opening more than usual and prevent oil from being properly filtered. That's why this is only normally only done on race cars, using high flow racing filters. If you want more options, I'd run a remote mounted filter base (like our #24766)that would allow you to run a 51061R racing filter or 51061XP if it's a daily driver. Our racing filter is much higher flow and can withstand way higher pressures without bypassing oil, but is not as efficient as your current filter. http://www.wixfilters.com/Speciality/Racing.aspx?1

the 51061R works for the PTE turbo saver i keep them on the shelf and run them sometimes but it should only be used for racetrack only cars that drain and redo oil in the pits , its rated for better flow but it doesnt filter well enough for street use with a 60 micron filter media

the 51061R works for the PTE turbo saver i keep them on the shelf and run them sometimes but it should only be used for racetrack only cars that drain and redo oil in the pits , its rated for better flow but it doesnt filter well enough for street use with a 60 micron filter media
Pacecarta is correct. We only recommend that filter for racing where your oil gets changed often.
But then again, isnt it funny that every one seems to care so much about particle filtration when it comes to filtering only 5 quarts of oil? But when it comes to the air side of things, which has the task of filtering thousands of gallons of air per minute, we all run a high flow air filter on the street which rarely gets checked. My experience shows that the majority of engine wear on cylinders bores can be blamed on dirty air being ingested. It's even better since we all have a nice expensive sandblaster hooked to our intake. Btw, I'm guilty too.

I did some checking the other day. The filter you are currently using is basically the largest for the biggie adapter. And we don't currently make an XP in that size. Most oil filters have an internal bypass. If you are running a pump with the relief blocked, your motor could see high oil pressure which in turn could potentially cause the filter's bypass to be opening more than usual and prevent oil from being properly filtered. That's why this is only normally only done on race cars, using high flow racing filters. If you want more options, I'd run a remote mounted filter base (like our #24766)that would allow you to run a 51061R racing filter or 51061XP if it's a daily driver. Our racing filter is much higher flow and can withstand way higher pressures without bypassing oil, but is not as efficient as your current filter. http://www.wixfilters.com/Speciality/Racing.aspx?1

Thanks for the info.
Do you happen to know how they determine the flow ratings....certain viscosity at a given temperature and pressure with what for a pressure drop?

Thanks for the info.
Do you happen to know how they determine the flow ratings....certain viscosity at a given temperature and pressure with what for a pressure drop?
I'm not sure I understand your question. One of the ratings is determined by what is called a Frazier test. This is a way to determine CFM/ flow of a fabric. This test is generally more accurate than a micron test since fluid has no particular shape or size. But you are correct, pressure differential is what is measured/tested.
Although there has been huge advancements in filter media. The physics remains the same...The only way to make a high efficiency filter flow well is to increase the amount of surface area. It is a perfect trade off. High flow=low efficiency, high efficiency = low flow, when comparing the same amount of media. You can't have both, unless you increase surface area.