laptop problem

turboaddict2

I have an old gateway laptop with WIN95 on it. It has Directscan on it already installed. When the laptop boots up it will pass the POST and memory tests then a message appears that says:

Floppy disk fault - insert valid boot disk and press enter to continue

I haven't started the laptop in such a long time. DOes that message mean I have to have a win95 boot disk? to start the laptop everytime? Before it used to start up fine with no problems.

nope. I restarted it a couple of times and on the third try it started fine. I'm still stumped on why it took several restarts for it to boot up with no problems. Is it because I haven't used the laptop in a while?:confused:

not starting up

well today I started up the laptop and the same message appeared(see first post). I didn't have a floppy in the drive either. After several attempts of restarting same message appears. what could it be?:confused:

Sounds like your harddrive is toast and the 'puter is trying to boot from the next drive (floppy) in the BIOS boot sequence. Put a boot floppy in and try booting from it. If you can boot, try accessing the harddrive from there. If you cannot see the harddrive, it's toast...