Knock Retard at WOT

****I think for most people, who don't drive their cars that often, may have issues related to the fuel system after some of the issues I have had along with some of my GN owning friends and fellow fat, flatulent old people.. Old gas, water in the tank, clogged fuel filter from rust in the tank plugging it along with fuel tank pump sock, etc.. In addition, my own car had similar knock issues, with Siemens 60lbs injectors that I bought new but after several years or relatively little use, 3 showed poor flow and atomization, and the car ran like crap.

I have a fuel injector tester I bought on the internets that cycles various pulse widths and you simply disconnect the injector harness from whatever injector you want to test, with the car OFF, plug the tester in and listen to the clicking of the injector. If it sounds weak, or muted compared to others, the injector is plugged or something is wrong. I also have a noid light, but even if the injector gets power, doesn't mean it is spitting out any or enough fuel - this fooled me for a long time until I got pissed and pulled the injector rail, all of the injectors, and tested them with the tester on an injector with a pressurized solvent going through the injector to test atomization. After testing all of the injectors like this, it was clear 3 of my 6 injectors had noticeably poorer atomization even after cleaning them with concentrated solvent, etc..

I hope this post saves someone as ass load of time as it took me HOURS to figure out why my car was running poorly, with knock retard, but awesome fuel pressure, fuel pressure holding fine at the rail after shutoff (perhaps ruling out injector stuck open or FP regulator bad, etc..), new gas, new filters, lowered boost, and a TON of other crap I tried... (Cam sensor, crank sensor, checking wiring, grounds, ECM integrity, MAF)

Below is a pic of the tester, and I rigged up the leads to be longer, along with cobbling together a properly fitting fuel injector lead so I don't have to use alligator clips. Makes it easy to test all injectors quickly on the rail. If an injector sounds appreciably different (they should click pretty loudly...) or doesn't click at all the injector is bad, or at least clogged up. Sometimes it's fixable with a thorough cleaning using pressurized solvent (the white tube in the pic holds the injector in place so you can run pressurized cleaner (carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner, etc...in a can...the stuff you buy at auto parts stores....). In my case, I tested 3 injectors that came out bad, so had to pull the rail... to try and clean them, etc.. The white tube thing is interference fit with the O ring at the top of injector, and cleaner shoots in from other part of tube.. works really well... You can really see if an injector has poor atomization quickly.

Anyway, hope this helps someone avoid the nightmare I had starting my GN this season after it sat all Winter long. Noid light, FP testing, Cam and crank sensor testing, etc.... didn't solve my no start and then crappy running car. I did the no start flow chart and narrowed stuff down, but didn't figure the injectors themselves were bad after having proper noid light operation, spark, and wet spark plugs with cranking.

Max
Tester.JPG

I know that this is a VERY old thread, but I want to post the resolution for anyone who might see it.

The whole time, this car has had a loud ticking noise that sounded like an exhaust leak or vale-train noise. I replaced rocker arms, pulled exhaust and looked for leaks, listened with hoses and stethoscopes to everything and everywhere under the engine compartment, and had several other of my mechanics look for it. I was going to pull the engine to see if there was something knocking around and causing false knock but decided to go ahead and replace the injectors since that was coming anyway.

I bought new injectors and another Turbo Tweak chip, installed them, and VOILA! No more ticking, no more knock retard, and I am able to turn the boost back up (at least to stock levels) without knock.

I guess the whole time, the noise was coming from an injector which was not fueling sufficiently. Sorry responding to such an old thread, but I just got it sorted and thought the resolution might help someone out someday.

JShaw. I decided to pull the driver manifold, weld it up and re-install when changing motor mounts. Upon driving the car after I keep hearing a “high pitch ticking” that’s driving me NUTS. Friends and other mechanics say they don’t hear it. I’ve been turning wrenches for years... it’s there... been running down possible exhaust leak, makes sense as the header and j-pipe was recently removed. What peaks my interest with your recent post is when I place my ear direct on the fuel rail is where I here the tick.

Car runs awesome with no detonation when the KR sensor is disconnected. When the KR sensor is connected upon low rpm/boost shell retard 26+ degrees and retard happens all over the rpm range- NO DETONATION and I have the boost turned down to around 17lbs at WOT.

Furthermore, the car seems to have a strange starting problem after sitting. Acts like a carburetored car with a leak. Puff of black smoke after firing up. I’ve been pondering the possibility that an injector is bleeding off fuel into the cylinder creating the starting issue.

*Car sat in a garage for 26 years until 10/2018 when ending up in my possession. Stock except: chip, RJC full exhaust, adj. pressure regulator, Red’s chip/fuel pump. I’ve gone through everything from the radiator to the taillights and have been regularly embarrassing late model mustangs and others who attempted to take the title. Never dynoed but I’m guessaround 400 whp.

I’m going to pull the injectors out and have them flowed.

So, with all that said; THANK YOU for reviving this discussion.

Appreciated,

Craig Z, Seminole FL

To close my side of this discussion. Apparently I had an additional crack in passenger manifold. Kevin King at KDK has had the car for almost 90 days and has sorted numerous items. Thank you Kevin.

appreciate this forum and all it has to offer.

1581474093430.png