Knock Question

TireFryer

The New Kid
It's me... the son...

I drove my tr yesterday, and i got on it, it spun the tires and it hit the redline. I recalled the scanmaster and it said 9 degrees of timing retard. Then i drove it normal and eventually got on it and I saw 9 again at the 2-3 shift then went back to .8... Am i running out of fuel and going lean? I have a bigger pump but haven't dropped the tank yet. The scanmaster says 17 psi of boost... I'm only seeing it at the 2-3 shift otherwise its like .8-1.9

Thanks, J

It's me... the son...

I drove my tr yesterday, and i got on it, it spun the tires and it hit the redline. I recalled the scanmaster and it said 9 degrees of timing retard. Then i drove it normal and eventually got on it and I saw 9 again at the 2-3 shift then went back to .8... Am i running out of fuel and going lean? I have a bigger pump but haven't dropped the tank yet. The scanmaster says 17 psi of boost... I'm only seeing it at the 2-3 shift otherwise its like .8-1.9

Thanks, J

It's showing 9 every time on the 2-3 shift... otherwise it maxing out at an occasional 1.8-2

Any knock is bad, If it was just on the shift I would think it is false knock. I would turn the boost down and see if go's away . Knock will cause the head gaskets to blow. What was the o2 reading at full throttle? that will tell you if its lean.

Any knock is bad, If it was just on the shift I would think it is false knock. I would turn the boost down and see if go's away . Knock will cause the head gaskets to blow. What was the o2 reading at full throttle? that will tell you if its lean.
I don't know the 02 reading, i've just been watching knock... I'll update when i can get a reading... And i'm only seeing it on t he 2-3 shift... otherwise it's only like .2-1.8

So i drove my car today and got on it WOT and the o2 reading both times was 860 and 866.. I'm gonna go out on limb and say the its way lean and thats where my knock is coming from. I have an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator... looks like its time to install it...

Thanks, J

So i drove my car today and got on it WOT and the o2 reading both times was 860 and 866.. I'm gonna go out on limb and say the its way lean and thats where my knock is coming from. I have an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator... looks like its time to install it...

Thanks, J
Not sure 860's mV on the NB is considered lean. A better way to get to the bottom of it is to log fuel pressure, boost, AF, AFR, etc. and study the log.
Try this; https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/basic-hotair-info.33080/page-2#post-2254804

Thanks, J
860 is very rich.

Oh... well dang... So the smaller the number the leaner?
You need to put a gauge on it to see what your fuel pressure is. You must know what the fuel pressure is.
What is your BLM number at hot idle?
Do you have an aftermarket chip?
Injectors?
MAF?
It is not unusual too see spark retard during wheel spin.

You need to put a gauge on it to see what your fuel pressure is. You must know what the fuel pressure is.
What is your BLM number at hot idle?
Do you have an aftermarket chip?
Injectors?
MAF?
It is not unusual too see spark retard during wheel spin.
It has an engine rebuild from the origianal owner, it has about 20k in rebuild. He did new cam, I dont know the specs, Injectors, also didn't document what size they are. cam bearings, Forged JE pistons .020 overbore, rod bearings, main bearings, head gaskets, and a ton of other stuff. I have done an LS1 maf with a cold air intake, Top end cleanup TB and plenum, fluids change, the chip is stock.

the chip is stock.
The stock chip is not good for today's fuel , too much timing . Get a chip from Turbo Tweak for your combo and a fuel pressure gauge . Also after verifying FP rises 1/1 with boost , do a 3rd gear pull . Knock on the shift points could be many things that include any metal to metal contact such as worn motor mounts , down pipe hitting , loose converter bolts . Check torque on knock sensor , should be 14ft/lbs .

Last edited:
It has an engine rebuild from the origianal owner, it has about 20k in rebuild. He did new cam, I dont know the specs, Injectors, also didn't document what size they are. cam bearings, Forged JE pistons .020 overbore, rod bearings, main bearings, head gaskets, and a ton of other stuff. I have done an LS1 maf with a cold air intake, Top end cleanup TB and plenum, fluids change, the chip is stock.
It helps everyone with your questions if you go in your profile and in your signature list all your car mods . That way everyone can see exactly what you have done to your car and possibly be able to help you with some more info .

You need to verify what chip is in there. If it's not burned for your combo you easily can get knock.

Injector change with a stock chip?? That sounds no bueno. Chip needs be matched in injectors being used or fueling will be way off.
It's a stock chip with new 28* injectors rebuild in 1998 and no specs are shown on cam or injectors

I don't think you can run a stock chip with LS1 and translator, you said scan master says 17 psi , I'm pretty sure scan masters don't read boost and with you injectors and stock turbo you should be at 12-15 psi, , sounds like your chip is main problem or like I said earlier and dynoman, bad motor mounts etc. can cause false knock, but yours sounds a little high , your fuel pump,hotwire kit ???