knock on gauge but not scanmaster

Looks like your talking yourself into it. ;) Your fun has just begun. I see a newbie selling the car cheap because they get frustrated because the damm thing won't even start. Been watching situations like this for years. Guess ya might as well give it a whirl :cool:

I also don’t go to the track often and mainly use my gn as a weekend cruiser but if you lay it out with how much money it cost to get the basic gear you need to read what your car is doing it’s just about as much as an stand alone ecu. Scanmaster=$200 wideband=$200 boost/temp/oil gauge=$200 MAF/translator=$200 optional powerlogger=$250. With just that you are over $1k. So it’s confusing when people say the stock stuff works... we all know it works well but at the end of the day I would think you would want something with a lot more tuning capabilities (stand alone ecu). Am I crazy?!
depends, maybe a used Fast XFI but the new stuff is closer to $2-3K

A man has to know his limitations. I have no doubt that I could take on an aftermarket engine management system. I hope that the OP can evaluate his abilities(and check book), and I will give him the benefit of the doubt of being able to do that. If you buy an ecu-GN from bison it will be a plug and play. Not everybody is going to be successful, and I don't want to steer anybody in the wrong direction, but at this point these cars are not daily drivers. If the ecu-GN was available when I started modding my car that would have been my first mod. The other stuff was not suited for a stock automobile for just doing simple mods in my opinion. The best time to learn how to setup and use an aftermarket engine management system is on a stock application. OP can decide, but if you like to tinker and optimize, plus you want add on monitoring capability without a bunch of gauges hanging everywhere, go for it. You can always put the stock stuff back and sell me the ecu-GN.

And once known, the man decides if he wants to pay for them.

I simply don't have the patience /knowledge anymore. Chips have come a long way. Opinions opinions :cool:

Wonder if he jumped on the new sportsman one for sale for $850.? Lots of options out there now for Buicks ;)

I simply don't have the patience /knowledge anymore. Chips have come a long way. Opinions opinions :cool:

Wonder if he jumped on the new sportsman one for sale for $850.? Lots of options out there now for Buicks ;)
No doubt the chips today are fantastic and lots of cars hauling ass with them. So it definitely comes down to preference and someone's apatite for tuning and tinkering. I just look at the capabilities of the ecu-GN and the geek factor starts to take over.:geek: The only reason I have not upgraded is because I have a hard time justifying changing things when what I have works well.

You could put a toe in the tuning and tinkering with the SD chip. You already have the Powerlogger and could eliminate the MAF etc.

Also how do I post my mods in my signature :ROFLMAO:
At the top of the page click on your username , that will bring up your account , in that box select " signature " and type away . Look at some other signatures to get an idea of what to put in it , don't get crazy cause some of us have a few more mods than others , just general info of mods . Then save it and your done , and you can change it at any time .

You could put a toe in the tuning and tinkering with the SD chip. You already have the Powerlogger and could eliminate the MAF etc.
SD2 is a cool option. I wish the power logger had room for a few more auxiliary inputs. That would make a good economical package just that much better. We are fortunate to have so many options these days.

Yes, a few more aux inputs to the PL would be very cool.

The decision for any system should be made on users FIRM commitment to learn. That's why there are tuners, pretenders, and wannabe's.

my next car will be more of a race/ street car and will have the ecugn...then it will have the capability to be tuned remotely by someone who does this for a living and has spent years perfecting their trade.... unlike a rookie like me who mostly drives tractors :p ...and I will also be able to have multiple tunes in it and i can just swap it into my stock car for great driveability and safely blowing a few doors off... i guess that doesnt really answer the op's question LOL..other than cost i am sure their is a description of the capabilities of system you ask of.... that is where i would start my compassion of the two...pay me now or pay me later comes to mind ...gimme dolla ;)

Last edited:
I'd say it depends how fast ya wanna go to. High 9's /low 10s I'd stay with a chip. Had a new motor here for a customer that wanted to run 9's. First run with the TT chip on default ran a 9.92. No brainer . Just get in the car an drive it. We just put the motor in Melissa's car for testing.
NOW... No matter what ya do the car has to be in GREAT NO BULLSHIT running condition. Not thats good enuff for now BS. ;)

Exactly. Doesn't matter what ecm system you want to use, if there are underlying issues with the car a fancy chip or aftermarket ecm is not going make it into a monster. The one thing I would still fully insist on is logging. If you can capture an issue in a log or compare logs over time to see if a system is failing you can prevent a huge failure from happening. Even just a Scanmaster is essential. I just shake my head when I see guys at the track and they don't even have a Scanmaster. Flying blind.:rolleyes:

too many drinking the Koolaid these days.i dont care if your junk is remote tuned,xfi,dfi,holley,fuelteck,gn ecu,stock ecm,they all run the same if its tuned right to a certain power level,that level is in the 8 sec range,yes you read it right,8 sec 150+mph in the 1/4.there are certain cylinders that need attention by airflow, afr, and timing to achieve this but it has been done ;) ,just so everyone knows, the motors have to target a certain afr and have a certain amount of timing depending on which fuel is being burned to support a certain amount of power.guess what,everyone's super tuner of choice will have to follow this.certain systems allow for a more detailed look at what the car is doing like suspension,converter, shocks.if a person wants that info then these more advanced systems will allow that info to be seen. individual cylinder correction on the more advanced systems allows the tuner of choice to target more specifically the timing and fuel % per cylinder vs globally getting there either way 150+per hole is achievable.now lets talk safety,guess the truth of it is there really isnt any safety.every car will and has blown up.they have blown up on every fuel and computer system and will continue to do so from hard parts fatigue,electric glitches,and many other part failures.once you have 2 or more cylinders having issues in a high horsepower situation its outside the correction window for any computer system.so grab your favorite tuner and system and go have some fun but it comes down to money and time and knowledge.

Had a new motor here for a customer that wanted to run 9's. First run with the TT chip on default ran a 9.92. No brainer . Just get in the car an drive it.
you saved him alot of money and its simple,too many want to complicate things.

too many drinking the Koolaid these days.i dont care if your junk is remote tuned,xfi,dfi,holley,fuelteck,gn ecu,stock ecm,they all run the same if its tuned right to a certain power level,that level is in the 8 sec range,yes you read it right,8 sec 150+mph in the 1/4.there are certain cylinders that need attention by airflow, afr, and timing to achieve this but it has been done ;) ,just so everyone knows, the motors have to target a certain afr and have a certain amount of timing depending on which fuel is being burned to support a certain amount of power.guess what,everyone's super tuner of choice will have to follow this.certain systems allow for a more detailed look at what the car is doing like suspension,converter, shocks.if a person wants that info then these more advanced systems will allow that info to be seen. individual cylinder correction on the more advanced systems allows the tuner of choice to target more specifically the timing and fuel % per cylinder vs globally getting there either way 150+per hole is achievable.now lets talk safety,guess the truth of it is there really isnt any safety.every car will and has blown up.they have blown up on every fuel and computer system and will continue to do so from hard parts fatigue,electric glitches,and many other part failures.once you have 2 or more cylinders having issues in a high horsepower situation its outside the correction window for any computer system.so grab your favorite tuner and system and go have some fun but it comes down to money and time and knowledge.
Damn. I must have drank some spiked coolaid! Lol

Sportsman is not sequential injection, and does not support MPH input and low impedance injectors, and uses a Bosch o2 sensor. However it does have excellent data logging 30 minutes for 20 frames a second at 24 sensors. Also it has fuel pressure correction features. The Bosch o2 sensor has a life span about about 10 times less than an NTK sensor, but its cheaper $59 vs $150 ish. Either system you will get 24 hrs support on the facebook fast group.