Kirban upgraded H4 headlights (4) kit w/harness

before I went to LED projector headlights, I had Kirban's wiring harness with double fuse / relays installed with Hella E code H4's (low beam) and H1's (High Beam).
It was a phenomenal improvement over the less then adequate lighting that these cars came with! I say go for it. It's plug N play and easy peasy to install. You won't regret it. Best bang for the buck

I've had my kit for 3yrs now.. Definitely worth it. I upgraded the bulbs to Sylvania silver stars, again well worth it... Mike

When you say the headlights look as close to the original as possible, what exactly is the difference?

What brand headlights come in the kit?

I notice that it says HID will not work with the kit, why is this? Wouldn't an H4 HID retrofit kit fit?

What about H4 LED bulbs?

When removing/replacing the headlights, does it mess with the headlight angle/adjustment? Do i need to readjust my headlights afterwards?

Thanks

Some lights have a fluted lens and look more stock than the "crystal cut or euro style" lens.

Stock looking.
IMG_5184.PNGIMG_5185.PNG

Not so stock looking.
IMG_5181.PNGIMG_5182.PNG

With the lights having different fluted lenses or reflectors it would be best to re-aim the headlights for the best light on the road.

You are right in thinking any H4 HID or LED will fit, but I suspect the housings aren't designed for them as they have a different shaped light source and may have a different light pattern on the road. They may be close.

Dennis probably can't recommend them for use with HID's or LED's as they are not DOT approved as such.

When you say the headlights look as close to the original as possible, what exactly is the difference?

What brand headlights come in the kit?

I notice that it says HID will not work with the kit, why is this? Wouldn't an H4 HID retrofit kit fit?

What about H4 LED bulbs?

When removing/replacing the headlights, does it mess with the headlight angle/adjustment? Do i need to readjust my headlights afterwards?

Thanks

I can only comment on my experiences and what I got with the kit as follows:

1. They look pretty much exactly like the original sealed-beams, anyone being very particular will notice the difference. From a distance, looks the same (other than the light being brighter). As GX1 pointed out, those are the differences.

2. Octane brand lights came with mine.

3. Can't say 100% about the HID, my experience with HID conversions says the bulb is longer than a standard bulb and I would imagine there isn't enough room for that big of a bulb (the H4s are pretty small). Haven't tried, though - so all the power to ya if you do.

4. Can't comment on LED bulbs, these are MUCH brighter than the sealed-beams but i think I may eventually throw some silverstars in it.

5. If you remove the bezels from the lights to replace them, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't mess with the alignment as you aren't touching the alignment screws. If you take the whole bucket out, then yes - you'll have to realign. I would anyway just as GX1 says as well. I'm sure the beam pattern is slightly different (my car is still in the garage being worked on, so haven't used them on the road yet to be able to confirm).

Thank you very much 1986 Buick GX1 and NyteSnyper.

Wishing the Kirban kit came with the Hella E-code lights instead of "octane" brand. Definitely like the stock/OE look as anything else like the euro or halo lights look horrendous.

I'll probably get just the Kirban harness and buy the Hella E-code lights myself

Thank you very much 1986 Buick GX1 and NyteSnyper.

Wishing the Kirban kit came with the Hella E-code lights instead of "octane" brand. Definitely like the stock/OE look as anything else like the euro or halo lights look horrendous.

I'll probably get just the Kirban harness and buy the Hella E-code lights myself

Check with your buddy at NAPA, I've gotten some (for other vehicles) for around $40 ea..

Thank you for posting the links, very helpful.

kirban 2 cents worth

Headlites look close to original in every regard they are glass takes pop in bulbs easy to replace nothing complicated about it we sell it to monte carlo vendors same product for probably 4 or 5 years now. all plug and play re=read posts it was tested originally on my personal white turbo t....I would not sell a product if it did not do what I claim difference is very good like our dash led lites our cars are quite primitive in the lighting department just like G body has the window racer fixes another short coming these cars have and spoolfool with his drip lip diaper solved another annoying issue we did the horn ring first I think which solved the other issue of a warped cracked plastic horn ring....

You got plenty of options but one we sell looks stock no wires get cut and no real skill required as I installed it myself years ago....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I put the kit on my GN and really like it. The headlights are much brighter than the old H1's and it wasn't too hard to do. Took me about 3 hours and I even had to run to the auto parts store for new positive battery terminal nut with an extra connection.
John

Well I bought the carbon kit but cannot get it to correctly light up. All four lights come on with the light switch and if I hit the brights it doesn't change. I'm pretty sure I follow all the instructions correctly and I'm not a complete idiot , but this is stumping me Will look at it again tomorrow. I did the black plug matched up to the stock three prong but the bright still come on no matter what. Anybody with me suggestions I'm listening and I'm frustrated thanks for reading Steve

When I bought mine from Kirban I also had lighting issues. Installed per the directions, my high beam indicator stayed on no matter what. Yet the high beam lighting was intermittent. Long story short & I may've done this the hard way but I rewired the relay wiring. I had some blue wires plugged into where the white wires were etc.

So I pulled up an online image of the relays, my meter, & worked it out from there. If I remember correctly I also had wires going to the 87a that wasn't used in this case, plus the grounds were mixed up. In then end now everything works as it should just had to troubleshoot. My kit was the H4 from Octane Lighting.

Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions.

View attachment

87turbot
I appreciate you getting back to me as I'm pulling my hair out to trying to figure this out. It shouldn't be those difficult and I did go by turbans instructions about I can't get them to work right. I'll print out your schematic and see if I can't figure it out. I'm not a wiring genius but I'm not a dummy either but I'm sure feel like one thing lol thank you. Steve and yes I'll reach out to you if I have any more problems cuz I'd like to get these lights to work The other ones are too too dim

Kirban 2 cents worth

The kit as posted above has been a good seller for us for over 2 years it is all plug in no wires get cut headlites are as close to original as you can find today on the market. We supply at least 4 other vendors with that same kit and several other vendors with earlier kits meaning harnesses for single headlite cars.

In other words it works, looks factory, and has no issues.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have the lst one on my car as we had to have the supplier switch I think two wires in the harness for our cars.....
Dennis, are you still following this post?

:eek:It sounds like Dennis Kirban's earlier kit was set up correctly but they might have used a different bulb earlier and not the octane. Anyhow since the beginning of these lights yes maybe they were correct but we know they are not correct now. This last batch is not wired correctly period. And as onefast87gn said, Dennis is not reading the whole post only the post earlier on which everything work perfectly. Not knocking Dennis in any way but he's got to start realizing something's wrong with the batch he's buying. It needs to be fixed and 87turbot gave him the fix. Let's hope he gets it and when they are fixed I'll be back in the market. He did give me my refund so I'm happy right now but not night driving.

:eek:It sounds like Dennis Kirban's earlier kit was set up correctly but they might have used a different bulb earlier and not the octane. Anyhow since the beginning of these lights yes maybe they were correct but we know they are not correct now. This last batch is not wired correctly period. And as onefast87gn said, Dennis is not reading the whole post only the post earlier on which everything work perfectly. Not knocking Dennis in any way but he's got to start realizing something's wrong with the batch he's buying. It needs to be fixed and 87turbot gave him the fix. Let's hope he gets it and when they are fixed I'll be back in the market. He did give me my refund so I'm happy right now but not night driving.
the thing is i originaly bought the kit from castle performance but waited months for it so i asked for my money back so they just got one from kirbans and had it sent to me directly. I wouldnt care where it was from as long as it worked correctly. You really can't make any mistake plugging everthing in so i know its exactly like its supposed to be. I'll be making some phone calls in the morn. if anything at least i know i'm not alone in this problem.

No you are not alone and Kirban will definitely give you your money back and if he keeps doing that he'll realize that that's not profitable as he has to refund your shipping too. He's losing money on these lights right now. Sorry you had to go through the same thing I did and we don't get compensated for all the time we spent trying to figure out what we did wrong when we didn't do anything wrong lol

When I bought mine from Kirban I also had lighting issues. Installed per the directions, my high beam indicator stayed on no matter what. Yet the high beam lighting was intermittent. Long story short & I may've done this the hard way but I rewired the relay wiring. I had some blue wires plugged into where the white wires were etc.

So I pulled up an online image of the relays, my meter, & worked it out from there. If I remember correctly I also had wires going to the 87a that wasn't used in this case, plus the grounds were mixed up. In then end now everything works as it should just had to troubleshoot. My kit was the H4 from Octane Lighting.

Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions.

View attachment 363865
is this pic correct for a working system? can you post some pics of how you wired the relays?

is this pic correct for a working system? can you post some pics of how you wired the relays?
The pic should be correct.

I got out my meter & metered out my set up. Make sure the low beams are getting voltage, then high beams. I had a white wire(low beam if I remember right) tie in with the blue wires on one of the relay plugs. Changed that. Plus if I remember I had a wire going into 87a which didn't need to be there. Then I had to move/add a ground wire(my preference).

So if you have a meter, look for voltage between hot & ground on the low beam set up, then click the stalk for high beams do the same, & make sure grounds are good. Using the meter & the diagram should get you all squared away to getting them set up right.

Also just double check to make sure you have the correct wiring on the car plug.

Car New harness
Black Black
Green Blue
Tan White