Kirban upgraded H4 headlights (4) kit w/harness

V6POWER

I am looking for any feedback on this kit. Anyone have this kit installed on their TR? If so, any positive or negative comments. Thanks.

56 views but no response. I guess a lot of people are watching this thread and waiting for a response, also.

Hey Jim,

Only thing I can offer...I have Casper's upgraded headlight harness and Hella H4 60/55w (from Jegs) outboard lights and it is a major improvement over the factory stuff. I'm used to the HID lighting on my daily drivers and while this isn't quite the same, the light spread and cutoffs of the new housing illuminates a wider/longer area. When I flip to brights (the outboard have hi/lo), it is very impressive, and I haven't upgraded the inboard lights yet.

Thank you Mike. That helps a lot.

Kirban's site says you can go as large as 80 watt halogens. Have you tried that?

Last edited:
Jim,

I'm still on the same bulbs that came with the Hella housings, but honestly it is the light pattern that makes most of the improvement. See if you can find an image of the H4 glass, you can see how the glass has a very different pattern. It's hard to describe other than it is a more efficient 'throw' of light on the road, and there is a lot more light thrown to the passenger side, where the stock housings barely lit that area. My lights are adjusted following some directions I found on the net using some tape marks on my garage door, then backing up a specified distance and centering the lights back on the tape marks.

Even thought the road is lit up more, the beam pattern cuts off at a sharp line so I don't think blinding on coming traffic, at least no one has flashed their lights at me (I'm sure you remember how 'expressive' Florida drivers can be, lol).

I just installed Sylvania Silverstars and aimed them the way you mentioned above but the brightness is terrible. I really don't want to drive at night. I will order the light/harness kit from Kirban and hope his kit works as well as your set up. Thanks again for the info.

I know exactly what you are talking about, I think you'll be happy with the H4 conversion.

This may be a little help or not, but I put Hella H4 halogens in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic, AFTER I added a wiring harness from Painless Wiring, which had two 40 amp relays.....but added in 55w/100w bulbs in each.....works just great, VERY bright. The bulbs are for off road use only, but out here in the sticks, with no traffic I can spot deer or people looking for Grand National parts, or half full beer cans along the road for very long way....a lot longer than stock. Really a great improvement. So, with relays for your harness, I think you could get good use out of your 80 watt halogens. The 100 watt halogen bulbs work just fine, as long as you have that harness plus relays. For my own safety, I made sure I put in ceramic headlight connectors on the back of each headlight bulb, then connected that to the harness. The 100 watts get hot, didn't want to take a chance on any possible melting of the connector.....just my own idea so I can sleep at night.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks Bruce for the additional info.
This may be a little help or not, but I put Hella H4 halogens in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic, AFTER I added a wiring harness from Painless Wiring, which had two 40 amp relays.....but added in 55w/100w bulbs in each.....works just great, VERY bright. The bulbs are for off road use only, but out here in the sticks, with no traffic I can spot deer or people looking for Grand National parts, or half full beer cans along the road for very long way....a lot longer than stock. Really a great improvement. So, with relays for your harness, I think you could get good use out of your 80 watt halogens. The 100 watt halogen bulbs work just fine, as long as you have that harness plus relays. For my own safety, I made sure I put in ceramic headlight connectors on the back of each headlight bulb, then connected that to the harness. The 100 watts get hot, didn't want to take a chance on any possible melting of the connector.....just my own idea so I can sleep at night.

Bruce '87 Grand National
Thanks very much for the additional info.
The harness from Kirban comes with 2-80 amp relays and 55w/60w bulbs. I will start with those bulbs and see how they look and if not bright enough, I will try 80w. Right now I can barely see much distance in front and hardly any on the sides, which means I may be missing a lot of GN parts and half full beer cans. :)

I am looking for any feedback on this kit. Anyone have this kit installed on their TR? If so, any positive or negative comments. Thanks.
I have the Kirban kit on my GN. It made a world of difference on my car. Now when you click on the high beams it does not dim everything else in the car. As the years add on the eyes at night are not as good, they do make it a lot easier to see at night. The hardest part of the install was removing the rusted screws from the headlight retainers. (16 total screws, 4 were rusted in place..... one in each!) Aside from that.... simple. Also before you lose your mind make sure there is a fuse installed in the harness. Mine was missing and caused a bit of grief before checking the obvious.

I have the Kirban kit on my GN. It made a world of difference on my car. Now when you click on the high beams it does not dim everything else in the car. As the years add on the eyes at night are not as good, they do make it a lot easier to see at night. The hardest part of the install was removing the rusted screws from the headlight retainers. (16 total screws, 4 were rusted in place..... one in each!) Aside from that.... simple. Also before you lose your mind make sure there is a fuse installed in the harness. Mine was missing and caused a bit of grief before checking the obvious.

Thank you for feedback as an actual user of the specific kit and I can relate to the comment re: age since I am 70. I just removed all my bulbs about a month ago to install Sylvania Silverstars (junk), so the screws will be easy this time. I will be sure to check the fuse.

Don't feel left out being 70.....I will be that age one day after Christmas this year!:eek: It's been a bitch getting older!

He's right about a fuse in the harness....very important....the Painless Harness had a fuse in the harness, so I hope Kirban's will, too.....if he had sold harnesses made for Jeeps, I would have bought it from him, one of our most important and kind vendor. Most trusted.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I just installed that exact kit last night. Installation was easy. Fuse was in the harness. Instructions were very complete as usual. They look bright as hell in the garage but I have not driven with them yet nor have i checked the aim. I plan on doing that this weekend. I was driving home from a car show last month at night and realized my headlights were really weak. Have not driven the car at night in years so maybe my eyesight has changed some too. I put the halogen sealed beam lights in it to replace the stock ones years ago and they seemed better at the time. While installing the Kirban's kit I noticed that my stock headlight harness plugs were caked full of that black tar stuff which could have been detrimental to the performance of the old lights. Anyway, I like the new lights so far.

Brian--Thanks for the feedback and I hope we will both be satisfied with the kit.

Last edited:
kirban 2 cents worth

Before I offered this complete kit maybe 4 years ago now I installed it in my personal turbo-T matter of fact I helped getting the wiring correct for our application. Keep in mind this fitts all the G body cars as we sell a lot of them to Mikes Monte...

I too hit the 70 this year other improvement is the led in the analog dash cluster we sell.

Both great choices....even if I am plugging my company...if it did not work I would not have it in my car nor sell it....actually I used a similar line on the 300 pus turbo regals I bought...always would tell people if I bought it had to be worth it...as I did not need to buy all those cars....

Lets face it headlite have come a lo o on g way sicne our cars left the factory...

Our kit retains a 95% stock look which is critcal as far as values go.....again my opinion....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have Kirban's headlight kits on 2 of my cars.They made a world of difference and look as close to stock as I think you will find.I need to buy a couple more for my other cars.

Kirban 2 cents worth again

Appreciate all the nice compliments......while its true like anything else several options exist I wanted to market one that was plug and play and the headlites looked like the originals. No matter what your thoughts may be the more original you keep your car the better the value is in the long run.

Our set up makes a huge visible difference in nite time driving and I am sure other systems can even make things brighter but not look factory.

It's like anything else.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

We sell a good amount of these same systems to a Monte Carlo supplier. Its the one of choice as it is virtually trouble free which is what vendors like to carry.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I recently purchased an '87 GN with "spare parts" in the trunk. Upon going through these parts I find a complete H4 conversion kit from Kirban's brand new in the bubble wrap! Upgrade took all of about 20 minutes to install. I'm very satisfied with the set up. Now I have peace of mind when I turn on the high beams, and the dash lights don't dim anymore. Quality product!

Kirban 2 cents worth

The kit as posted above has been a good seller for us for over 2 years it is all plug in no wires get cut headlites are as close to original as you can find today on the market. We supply at least 4 other vendors with that same kit and several other vendors with earlier kits meaning harnesses for single headlite cars.

In other words it works, looks factory, and has no issues.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have the lst one on my car as we had to have the supplier switch I think two wires in the harness for our cars.....

When you say the headlights look as close to the original as possible, what exactly is the difference?

What brand headlights come in the kit?

I notice that it says HID will not work with the kit, why is this? Wouldn't an H4 HID retrofit kit fit?

What about H4 LED bulbs?

When removing/replacing the headlights, does it mess with the headlight angle/adjustment? Do i need to readjust my headlights afterwards?

Thanks