Kirban intrepid fan question

baghouse

EZE
Hey! I just installed the intrepid dual fan on my 87 and I am SUPER happy with the results. Before that, I was running the factory fan with the manual controller from Kirban - that way I could toggle between low and high at the flip of a switch.

However, I noticed on the intrepid fan, there is a wire missing. Meaning I can no longer run it on high, only on low. Anyone else noticed this? Good news is that the fan cuts on automatically now.

Hey! I just installed the intrepid dual fan on my 87 and I am SUPER happy with the results. Before that, I was running the factory fan with the manual controller from Kirban - that way I could toggle between low and high at the flip of a switch.

However, I noticed on the intrepid fan, there is a wire missing. Meaning I can no longer run it on high, only on low. Anyone else noticed this? Good news is that the fan cuts on automatically now.
Did you order the fans with the hotwire kit?

Just installed mine, and they come on at 167 degrees, only on high, no low Bought the caspers harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just installed mine, and they come on at 167 degrees, only on high, no low Bought the caspers harness.

So the intrepid fan set up can be controlled with the Caspers 102044 harness? I ordered the delay relay to ease the hit when they come on but would like hi/low option.

So the intrepid fan set up can be controlled with the Caspers 102044 harness? I ordered the delay relay to ease the hit when they come on but would like hi/low option.

How come you want them to run at low speed?

How come you want them to run at low speed?

Yes, same question here.

Why would you want to run any fan on low speed? I run both power wires from both the low and high speed relays to the 3 wire weatherpack connector on the fan harness (the third wire is the ground). I cut out the ceramic resistor. Now each of the two relays can supply full speed power to the fans. When the ECM commands "fan - on", it is on high speed. And when I flip the manual switch it is also on high speed. And if I had an AC, the pressure switch would also cause the fan to come on at high speed.

I never saw the real need for the ceramic resistor. Your still drawing the same amps. Why not use them to your greatest advantage? And also, if one relay fails (the low speed) you can always count on the second to do the same job just by flipping the switch.

I might be missing something, but this has worked for me for over 12 years.

I understand that some may want to use a fan start up delay sequence to minimize the initial high amp draw. But even this doesn't bother me much. If the tune is good, and your IAC counts and response is adequate, and your alternator is up to the task, then you shouldn't have low RPM or stalling issues.

At least I don't.

With stock fan I has low and high with a switch inside the cabin, how ever I never used that, Caspers offers a option. Gor me the fans turning on at 167 is fine and does not have any kind of effect on my engine that I have noticed

Questions guys. As long as both power wires to the motors are hot, that mean it’s on high? Trying to confirm how to tell if these fans are running in high mode.

Both wires hot, both grounds grounded, and the fans run full-boat.

The resistor was originally designed to run the fan on a lower speed, mainly because of emissions - the engine was required to run hotter than we have it today.

Also, the fan ran quieter on low, reducing cabin noise.

Finally, the fan will last longer in theory, because it's not running at its full potential.

I have bypassed my resistor since 1988 and at one point, went the dual fan setup, but never had a failed fan. Noisy, yes, but dead, no.

I believe my fans only have 3 wires. 1 ground 2 hot. And the wire kit only has a single wire to the battery feeding the whole thing. We believe hotwiring the individual relays will provide more power?

Here's my setup. Runs on high only. Basic hot wire setup but I got rid of all the wiring that isn't used anymore

Attachments

• Sec08-2 Fans.jpeg
    Sec08-2 Fans.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 67
Direct to the battery gives you the edge, and fans will run their maximum. The Intrepid fan uses a four way connector with four wires in the cavities. Don't know what Kirban sells, but that's the standard setup.