Kirban Grand National for Sale

bruiser3138

CAR #7 - 1987 Grand National Hardtop - 6,800 miles

Does anybody know anything about this car? I am thinking about buying but would like feedback if anybody knows anything.

Thank you for your help!

CAR #7 - 1987 Grand National Hardtop - 6,800 miles

This is a GN being sold by Kirban. If anybody has any credible knowledge about this car, please reply as I am seriously thinking about buying.

Thank you!

gn

All i can say is he had that car for along time. But if i were to buy a gn he would be my first choice. hope this helps.

He sends out an email newsletter and said that he had to sell one due to space limitations.He is proabably THE Man to buy a low mileage GN from. Give him a call.

It was in the $20k's but being one of his it should be the best documented and well kept you can imagine.
On another site I visit there was discussion about 32 Fords and how much was paid. It may apply to Buicks as well.
"You never pay too much for a 32, you just buy too early"

I've found with these cars they can have 1500 miles to 90K on them and still have the balls beat off it with a history a mile long. With a car like that I'd take the time and go see it in person, look it over very closely and take a turbo Buick person with you if you don't know these cars that well, and make your own decision on the car. Even if the car was totaled at one time with those low miles no one is ever going to post that. Like I tell everyone who is looking to buy a GN.. you'll never know the history unless you bought it new and no one drives these cars like a little old lady taking it out only on Sunday when the weather is perfect! Keep in mind another big thing back in the late 80's was to pull the speedo cable off and drive the piss out of a car.

I had a friend of mine bought a 87 GN new at Kunter Buick. Got it home and took the speedo cable off and put a TCC lock up switch in so he could get the converter to lock. The car was garage kept but he beat the living hell out of that car taking it to the track on weekends and put about 60K on it when he sold it in 1992. I was over his house the day before the new owner was to come pick it up. I looked at the speedo and it was showing 9500 on the clock! :eek: He said he hooked it up when he took it back for service and once in awhile going to the track with it. He kept it really really super clean and just did some bolt on mods that he took off and put the car back to stock when he sold it.

Not saying anything bad about the car Kirban is selling but you need to crawl all over these cars!!

I was going to buy that same car back in June before I found one more local. I did not view the car myself, but did get a lot of detailed pictures and had them do a walkaround.

That car does show 6800 miles and the carfax report verifies that. Some things that stood out to me was that there is no original paperwork/manuals with the car (window sticker, owners manual etc). I would expect all of that or at least some of that to be there for such a low mileage and I believe 2 owner car. Another thing was that the exhaust was not original nor were the tires. This may just have to do with where it was stored, but the 7900 mile low option car they have has both the original exhaust in tact and the original tires as well as all the original paperwork and manuals. There is some paint coming off of the plastic trim, possibly from putting on and taking off the car cover, and a few touch-ups here and there all around the car (rear bumper had the worst spot although very minor). There was very minor surface rust probably from water sitting on one of the wheels. I believe left front. Would probably come off with some chrome polish. There is a slight crack in one of the rear roof pillars and the dash panel top was cracked (said they would throw in a new one). Was told the car had some water spots on the top surfaces that would likely buff out. The underneath of the car was outstanding, and had just been sprayed with satin black. That's all that I can think of off hand. Overall sounded like a really nice #2 car. I just wasn't 100% sure it was a legitimate 6800 mile car and trying to buy a car over such a long distance without seeing it in person I would have to be 110% sure. But who knows. Those are just my thoughts based on the limited amount of information and pics I received about the car. You can only tell so much from pics. If I was able to view the car in person perhaps I would have thought differently and bought it.

Was going to sell it then for $29,500. Not sure about now.

The 7900 mile car sounded nicer and definately more complete, but I was looking for something with more options. I believe it was in the low $30s maybe $32K??

Then there's the 700 mile car that I believe is somewhere in the $40K range. Was told that all of the cars look comprable and that if anything the 6800 and 7900 mile cars appeared better and had better factory paint jobs.

Hope that helps.