Kill switch questions

Kyleh24

86 GN , 87 White T
Do you guys suggest a kill switch, collar guard or other for security. If so, on a kill switch please tell me how it is done. If you are uncomfortable posting, Please start a discussion with me privately.

Thanks, Kyle

You're better off coming up with your own tricks. There are plenty of ways to disable the car if you search on this board. I recommend a combo of what you find. A gun helps too as well as a dog or trunk monkey.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Do you guys suggest a kill switch, collar guard or other for security. If so, on a kill switch please tell me how it is done. ........Kyle

You present a very good point of asking how we could make our cars less vulnerable to thieves, and this subject should be an open discussion.

Anyone with even a little "car smarts" will know it takes fuel and spark to start and run a vehicle, so there are various ways and methods to disable either function.

Most commercial anti-theft systems interrupt the starts circuit, and even the basic crook knows how to bypass that and start the car. :sneaky:

My thinking is to not allow fuel or spark to do their job, preferably both. :)

An experienced criminal could figure out how to overcome the obstacles you have done, but it may take many hours of work, and that is not what they would do.

A hidden switch or 2 or 3 would prevent most GN's from leaving their parking spot under their own power.

You can "layer" your security blanket with multiple switches and in varying places depending if you are just running in the store for a beer, or plan a long night out with your best girl!

I have one switch handy for the former, and a couple others for the latter, and of course my BEST girl is my wife! :D

All true of having any commercial anti-theft systems interrupt the starts circuit, but no one can stop a flatbed, unless a GPS with early detention system, or 308 (SEMPER FI)

Last edited:
Car gets locked in the garage with the dog, and kill switches.

Here's the dog.:eek:

Poor dog has to sleep in the garage?????........
You are mean Mike.

Bryan

Used to be able to find these in the parts stores but haven't seen them in stock any more. Great for when you leave your car for an extended amount of time. High visibility too:

https://www.kirbanperformance.com/p...+Regal+Grand+National+Turbo+T+T-Type+GNX.html

Tip for kill switch: Remove the driver's side door sill plate (the aluminum piece that has the "Body by Fisher" sticker on it) and open up the rectangular wire loom underneath. Find the gold colored pump wire and splice in your choice of switch. You can get creative on where you want to install the switch.

I have a touch and start from Kirban and when the car is in the garage I turn the wheels all the way over with the car nose first in the garage. I also have a home security system that is wireless so no wires to cut!!! I tend to not stray to far from it when I can help it. Had a attempt last year and that's when the home security system was purchased. I told the neighbor who has as many guns as the US Military if he hears the alarm and sees someone in the garage to come out firing. I will be right beside him trying to poke holes in thieves.

Looks like the dogs holding the kill.switch lol. Theres only things you can do to.slow them.down. no way of stopping a tow truck.or flatbed. Those are my worse fears. You can also tap into purple wire heading to solenoid/starter.

My night mares are usually someone harming my family. My other night mares are someone harming my car. I bought my car on March 17th 1987 at 7pm eastern time. I have had a lot of NM's on both. My car can not fight back so I give the thief a lot to look at. Hopefully the collar and the shifter lock will let the thief know that he or she will be there for a while. Turning the wheels and nose in is another deterrent to the rollback. If my car is moved or broken into not only does the horn blow but a signal is sent to my phone. Added GPS lets me know not only where my kids are but where my car is. Starting my car is impossible.

A simple heavy duty toggle switch wired to the fuel injection fuse in the fuse block will do. Just hide the switch somewhere where you can reach it. A dog with a gun is not a bad idea either.

Often thought about putting in a toggle switch called "Start" in a very visible spot with a short to ground as a SECONDARY security layer.
First layer prevents startup, and the "Start" toggle is "right there". Toggle it, blow a hidden fuse to a critical circuit. Now it just got harder. :whistle:
Not much can stop a flatbed, but you are not going to drive away, period.

Tip for kill switch: Remove the driver's side door sill plate (the aluminum piece that has the "Body by Fisher" sticker on it) and open up the rectangular wire loom underneath. Find the gold colored pump wire and splice in your choice of switch. You can get creative on where you want to install the switch.

Excellent tip

Besides having kill switches you should have collector car insurance. I mine winds up in someone else's hand then I get a big fat check to buy another one. I have switches but the last layer is adequate insurance.