Kidney stones......What to expect?

gn1220

Found out today that I have a kidney stone 4mm in size. Doctor says it SHOULD pass but if not, well, I just hope it does. Anybody else ever had one of these and do they hurt as bad as I've heard? I always thought of old people getting these things...I'm only 32.:( Guess I am getting old. Any tips on how to prevent them?

don't dispair bud since my injury at work, i have had more kidney stones then i care to count, i know what your going thru, a man passing a kidney stone is the equivalent of a woman going thru labor, dude your going to be in some serious pain when that stone starts to move, your going to start pissing blood, ( that $HIT SCARED ME) but i found out that was normal, ask you doctor for some KETOROLAC, if you went to the E.R. with kidney pains they give you a shot of turodal, which works great ( i' m sure thats what they gave you) well ketorolac is basicly the same thing in a form of a pill. 4 mm is rough, and your lucky if it was 5 mm you might have to be operated on:eek: , trust me gn1220 i've had more than 20 kidney stones in the past 2 months, they just changed my medication for fear that it could be causeing them ( those azz i 've been telling them that for months:mad: )
if there's anything else you need to know i'll keep checking in or pm me, get some ketorolac when that pain starts you'll be glad you had them. hope this helps:) btw i'm 35 but it could happen at any age.

Real Pain

I had a kiney stone at 18. I was so sick i could not stand up. I was fortunate that it must have been small. I drank a lot of craneberry juice which did seem to help matters. I have not had any since then. I know what your going through.

my dad has had them ever since i can remember, PAIN is what i would tell you to expect.....

he hasnt had them nearly as much the past 5-6 years becuase he finally stopped drinking milk.....supposedly one of the ingredients (calcium)....though i would think the body still needs cal. so i dont know what he does....

I had one at age 35 and it absolutely kicked my butt.

I was in so much pain I threw up and the pain meds given at the ER provided only marginal relief.

For me the most painful time was when the stone was moving through the ureter. Once it was in my bladder the pain was tolerable.

One important lesson I learned is to drink plenty of water each day. Basically, if your urine is yellow - you need to drink more water.

Good luck and stay away from the light!!!

My boss has them, he was white as a ghost, puking everywhere.

Dr told him to stop drinking all that soda pop, and drink more water, seems we all should do this anyway.

Dont let them try and flush it out, let it do its thing naturally.

they flushed his back up inside and its been a year, but he is waiting for it to fall back out:confused:

GOOD LUCK MIKE:D

BW

Good luck!! It is the male equivalent of having a baby. Drink LOTS of water and hang on! The first time is a M.F.! Stay on the meds until gone and never dehydrate again and watch your diet.

yup its like others have said ...giving birth threw your .... :eek: good luck an drink a lot of fluids .

RD

A nurse told me she had given birth AND had kidney stones, (not at the same time btw). She said the kidney stones were worse.

Been there, done that! ...and Im 26.

Just about a month ago I woke up with some nasty back pain. Thought I just slept wrong or something. Soon enough I was doubled over on the floor. Drove myself straight to the ER, which thank god was only 5 minutes, but seemed like forever. It was bad enough that I left the house without my glasses, and didnt realize it till I started driving. It was the second time Ive had that kind of pain. The first time I had some really good pain meds left from a tooth extraction, which saved me the trip to the ER. I wasnt so lucky the second time.

They did a blood workup, all sorts of tests, and xrays. They figure I passed it in between tests.

Its kinda hard to explain, but I figured something was up. Generally, if you are prone to stones, and you notice any changes in how you "go", you better see a doctor.

My whole family has had them with exception of the oldest sister. My dad drove himself to the ER a few months ago, which was a 30 minute ride for him. I can only imagine what that felt like.

Like was said before, kidney stones are made because there are certain things in your diet that help to make them. Which, is why they will want to catch the thing when you do pass it. They will want to analyze it to see what its made of. You will end up having to go through a strainer, and possibly keep a urine sample for them to test.

All I can say is good luck. Drink lots of water, avoid the soda, and keep some pain meds close by.

I pasted a BB sized one long time ago :eek: My doctor said always keep your kidneys wet inside......always drink water during the day and orange juice in the morning ...So far none for 20 years :)

Had one at 24. HORRIBLE pain. Mine got stuck in my bladder, I felt like I had to pee all the time but when I would go, I didn't have to. After dealing with this for over a week the doc said he was going to have to scope me if I didn't pass it soon. "Scope me?" "Yeah, see this here camera? We're gonna put it in your bladder...the short way!"

The next day I pissed that sucker out.

I had back pain wed. and didn't think much of it until I went to the bathroom and it was a dark color. No prob., just need more water. Wrong. As the day went on it got darker then I noticed the blood. Talk about a scary feeling.:eek:
Anyway, I had an x-ray and a CT scan yesterday and that's when the doctor noticed it. He offered me a shot but I declined because I wasn't in any pain. He did write a prescriptiopn for Hydrocodine but I didn't fill it yet because I haven't had much pain at all. After reading the replies, I think I will fill it and keep it close.

I tried Vicodin (yummy, worked wonders) and Darvaset (didn't do much for pain, but sure made me high as a kite).

Originally posted by gn1220
I had back pain wed. and didn't think much of it until I went to the bathroom and it was a dark color. No prob., just need more water. Wrong. As the day went on it got darker then I noticed the blood. Talk about a scary feeling.:eek:
Anyway, I had an x-ray and a CT scan yesterday and that's when the doctor noticed it. He offered me a shot but I declined because I wasn't in any pain. He did write a prescriptiopn for Hydrocodine but I didn't fill it yet because I haven't had much pain at all. After reading the replies, I think I will fill it and keep it close.

hydrocodine is pretty much the same as a percocet it's ok but it did'nt do nothing for me but it's better than nothing, you don't have pains now but just wait, i just had one yesturday but i have ketorolac, took one pill and drank alot of water pissed it out after a while, when your passing it don't drink nothing but water, forget everything else, what you saw when you went to the bathroom was old dired up blood like purple-ish right?

Originally posted by no-nos
hydrocodine is pretty much the same as a percocet

Just a small correction. Hydrocodone (Vicodin) is not as strong as Oxycodone (Percocet). Vicodin is a sched 3 and Percocet is sched 2. Both work well but Percocet is stronger. They are both VERY habit forming, so be careful guys. Had a bad back injury last year (Herniated disc) and had a hard time getting off the Percocet.

Do push fluids (water) while trying to pass it and keep the water thing up. It's good for you for many reasons. BTW, cranberry juice is good because the acid it contains is good for preventing UTI.

Good luck. I do know from my ER experience that I've seen grown men who are tougher than sh*t curled up in a tiny ball crying like babies from a stone. Prevention is key :)

Mike Pompe, LPN, EMT

Originally posted by OneQuikV6
Just a small correction. Hydrocodone (Vicodin) is not as strong as Oxycodone (Percocet). Vicodin is a sched 3 and Percocet is sched 2. Both work well but Percocet is stronger. They are both VERY habit forming, so be careful guys. Had a bad back injury last year (Herniated disc) and had a hard time getting off the Percocet.

Do push fluids (water) while trying to pass it and keep the water thing up. It's good for you for many reasons. BTW, cranberry juice is good because the acid it contains is good for preventing UTI.

Good luck. I do know from my ER experience that I've seen grown men who are tougher than sh*t curled up in a tiny ball crying like babies from a stone. Prevention is key :)

Mike Pompe, LPN, EMT

i totallyagree, i have taken both and i'm now on roxicodone, they took me off of oxycontin, (after 1 year) i do strongly agree about it being habit forming, trust me i know, i feel the need every 8 hours when my hand starts to hurt, as far as the cranberry juice i was told by the e.r. physician that when passing a stone one should only drink clear fluids, nothing colored but it's all about what works for you.