Kickdown goes to Nuetral, then Slams to passing gear when let off.

usedcarnut

So still getting this trans setup. I've made a few minute adjustments to the tv cable since originally setting it and am pretty much good with where my shift points are. I've been babying it, gentle to medium acceleration, shifts are hard but don't feel like they are going to damage anything. I'm not really pushing it hard and just tried the kickdown today. From overdrive, when I go wot for the kickdown i drop into what seems like neutral, the engine rpms scream to 5-6000 rpms and as soon as I let off, bang, it drops into passing gear and will stay there if I get back into it, otherwise if I ease into the throttle it's back in drive or overdrive, whichever I am in.

Try some different spots with the TV cable. I just went through this same issue and ended up pulling the trans and getting it built by someone that specializes in 2004r trans.

I was able to improve it by messing with the TV cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try some different spots with the TV cable. I just went through this same issue and ended up pulling the trans and getting it built by someone that specializes in 2004r trans.

I was able to improve it by messing with the TV cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shortening or lengthening? Right now I shift to 2nd at 20-25, 3rd at about 45, then overdrive at 60ish. If I tightened it up any more (2-4 clicks) I start getting a flare between 2nd and 3rd. And my shift points get higher, say 30 for 1-2 and 50 for 2-3 and like 70-ish for overdrive.

If anybody needed them, these were my pressure readings at 1000 rpms, cable disconnected, then fully extended. I rebuilt the trans following the CK manual, clutch pack measurements were almost dead on what was recommended, pretty much waiting a week for the correct thrust washers between assembling each section of the trans. I have a deep sheet aluminum pan with the long pickup and 727 filter at the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_20180519_211603501.jpg
    IMG_20180519_211603501.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 66
Worked with it a little more today. Think it might be a shifter issue, not a trans issue. Moved the t.v. in and out a few clicks and other than changing my shift points it did nothing for the nuetral at WOT. However, if I put my shifter in overdrive, then move it forward a hair it feels like the trans is landing on a gear under the car. Here, I have no kickdown, but it shifts the best I've had it. Shifts are still firm, but not hard, WOT shift points are 58-5900rpms for all gears. About 22-25 for 1-2, 35-40 for 2-3, then overdrive is 60-ish. If I kickdown as soon as I shift into 2nd it drops back to first like I've read it's supposed to. Anyway, if I pull the shifter back fully into overdrive my shifts still feel the same, same speeds, but if I try a kickdown I'm back to nuetral and screaming rpms again. Any input?

It's probably going into 2nd and when it does it's slipping-Not good-tightening the TV won't cause a flare ever it will firm up and raise the shift points. Tv cable is meant to be set and forget it. It nots a shift tuning device-maybe 1 or 2 clicks either way that it. IMO you have issues.

It's probably going into 2nd and when it does it's slipping-Not good-tightening the TV won't cause a flare ever it will firm up and raise the shift points. Tv cable is meant to be set and forget it. It nots a shift tuning device-maybe 1 or 2 clicks either way that it. IMO you have issues.
It is currently set where I originally had it, which is full pull on the tv, I checked it before installing the pan, and marked my cable. I plan to adjust my shift cable tomorrow or Monday, but with my shifter moved forward like I was saying, tightening the cable a couple clicks raises the shift point dramatically. My 1-2 jumped to 35 and my 2-3 jumped to 50. Overdrive was nowhere in site, I ran it up to 75 but never got the shift. Brought the cable back down the 2 clicks and I'm back where I was. I don't feel a slip into 2nd, it's a firm shift unless I accelerate very gently. I've never driven a 2004r, but I have felt a trans slip, doesn't feel like that, unless the 200 is different than a normal trans. If the band was slipping would the shift still feel firm?

Gotcha, sometimes it's the simple things that trip us up and wanted to make sure the basics were covered.
You have a cool and unique setup that puts me on the sidelines.

You have a cool and unique setup that puts my on the sidelines.

How so?

I've been reading everything I can possibly find on setting up/adjusting the cable. I've found several methods. Seems like when it comes to info on these trans there isn't a lot, but there is. It's hard to find a straight answer for a lot of things. One person will post across multiple sites and get a different idea from everyone, and no one ever seems to post the resolution that fixed their problem.

It is currently set where I originally had it, which is full pull on the tv, I checked it before installing the pan, and marked my cable. I plan to adjust my shift cable tomorrow or Monday, but with my shifter moved forward like I was saying, tightening the cable a couple clicks raises the shift point dramatically. My 1-2 jumped to 35 and my 2-3 jumped to 50. Overdrive was nowhere in site, I ran it up to 75 but never got the shift. Brought the cable back down the 2 clicks and I'm back where I was. I don't feel a slip into 2nd, it's a firm shift unless I accelerate very gently. I've never driven a 2004r, but I have felt a trans slip, doesn't feel like that, unless the 200 is different than a normal trans. If the band was slipping would the shift still feel firm?
Tv is too tight when those shifts stretch out like that.

It won't slip until you apply real power/torque to it. Then the engine runs away and feels like neutral but it's slipping. It's takes throttle to make it kickdown/downshift. That's when it's slipping. Once you do that a few times usually the band is toast. Sometimes the drum is done as well.

It won't slip until you apply real power/torque to it. Then the engine runs away and feels like neutral but it's slipping. It's takes throttle to make it kickdown/downshift. That's when it's slipping. Once you do that a few times usually the band is toast. Sometimes the drum is done as well.

Right now I can put it in overdrive, mat the pedal and get hard shifts through all the gears. It's shifts at right around 5900rpms. I'm thinking my shifter itself (B&M) might be improperly adjusted and in between gears when it's pulled fully back into 'overdrove', as I mentioned above, if I push it a little forward from the overdrive position it 'feels' like it is clicking into a gear position. If I WOT from from cruising speed here, I get no downshift for passing gear, but it doesn't pop out of gear or 'slip' either. Just simply speeds up. Not trying to be dense, just trying to make sure I've got my facts all out there. One thing I guess I haven't checked is wether I've got full throttle at the carb from my accelerator pedal. I've been doing my testing by myself under the hood. If the issue is the shifter, and I'm not getting full throttle/full pull on the cable from inside the vehicle, could this be why I'm not dropping to passing gear with the shifter in this position?

How so?

I've been reading everything I can possibly find on setting up/adjusting the cable. I've found several methods. Seems like when it comes to info on these trans there isn't a lot, but there is. It's hard to find a straight answer for a lot of things. One person will post across multiple sites and get a different idea from everyone, and no one ever seems to post the resolution that fixed their problem.

I was meaning your carb setup is cool and unique and I'm not very knowledgeable on how the TV functions inside the trans and I am of no use to you.
I'm just not that smart, on the other hand Steve V is.

Is the TV limit shimmed or a dif. spring? Similar to how mine shifts, except mine doesn't have the downshift issue like yours.

Is the TV limit shimmed or a dif. spring? Similar to how mine shifts, except mine doesn't have the downshift issue like yours.
I used a transgo hd2 shift kit, I would have to look back through, but I do believe the tv limit spring was one of those replaced. It wasn't shimmed though, I'd remember that.

If I WOT from from cruising speed here, I get no downshift for passing gear, but it doesn't pop out of gear or 'slip' either. Just simply speeds up.

So now it does not neutral out? Which is it? You may want to look over to the people who have the same TV set-up and brackets/carb as you.

Mean while the TV cable is the lifeline of this unit--so too tight is better than too loose until you sort it out.