Key jams in ignition

02WS686GN

GM EFI Founder/Editor
Lately I've been having problems with my ignition. On occasion, the key likes to get jammed in my ignition and the only way to get it out is to turn the engine over and shut it off again, or to put it into gear and put it back into Park.

Thoughts?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

grab the ring at the base of the column and twist it fully counterclockwise when the key is stuck. If that lets it come out, it's a simple adjustment on the linkage.

^^what he said^^

this is reallky common on GM cars with floor shifters built since 1969 or so. the linkage that goes from the trans up to the column to lock the shifter in park when the key is out also operates the reverse lights and neutral safety switch. the joints of this linkage get some slop in them or the adjuster slides a little bit and then the owner is posting on the internet about how their key doesn't work right any more..

the adjustment is simple- use a 13mm wrench to loosen the bolt on the adjuster on the linkage and slide it until all the slop is gone, then tighten it back down. while you are under there, make sure that all the plastic or rubber bushings in the pivot points- including the one in the fram bracket- are still good.

Agree with the prior posts. I had to do the wiggle trick everytime I removed my key from the ignition cylinder. I then learned to turn the steering column COUNTER clockwise. Until I was told to adjust the steering linkage.

My shifter cable is broken so I'm back to turning the steering column. :)

Thanks for all of the advice, fellas! That turned out to be the issue, and I set her straight. ;)