Keeping stock dash speakers - should I use bass blockers?

b4black

I'm replacing the dash pad. While I have the stock speakers out, I was thinking of installing bass blockers to them. I have no idea what to get. Could someone suggest which to use? A link would be great!

Thanks!

The factory 10 ohm speakers, 1987 tweeter version, already has a bass blocking capacitor underneath where the terminals are wired. 6.8uF at 63 volts.

The factory 10 ohm speakers, 1987 tweeter version, already has a bass blocking capacitor underneath where the terminals are wired. 6.8uF at 63 volts.
This is an '82 GN. Doesn't have concert sound or door speakers. I don't see capacitor.
Also, which is positive, the larger or smaller lead?

(And if it's not clear, I'm not an audiophile)
capture.jpg

Last edited:
This is an '82 GN. Doesn't have concert sound or door speakers. I don't see capacitor.
Also, which is positive, the larger or smaller lead?

(And if it's not clear, I'm not an audiophile)

On that driver, polarity doesn't matter. Just as long as it's in phase with the rest of the speakers, so pick one of the terminals for positive and use that one for positive on both. Otherwise, if they're out of phase they'll cancel each other out and it'll sound like poo. A driver where polarity matters, like one with a coaxial tweeter, will have the polarity marked.

The concert sound models had the cap on the dash because that system had door speakers to handle the lower range for the front of the cabin. No concert sound, no cap. No biggie.

Regardless, you should run a bass blocker on a 3.5" speaker. If you want to use the Best Buy ones, they'll work and they're easy to order. But they're just capacitors. If you have an electronics supply store near, you could probably get 10 of them for $7 and not have to wait for shipping.

Maybe it doesn’t matter, but I’ve always used a 1.5v battery (AAA, AA, C, D). Wire the - to one terminal, then tap the + to the other terminal. Whichever terminal the + is tapped to that makes the speaker move out is what I’ve labeled as +.
As Turbo6inKY said, make sure they’re all the same.

Is the impedance of the speaker marked on top? 4 ohms 10 ohms?

f = 1/ 2*PI*R*C is the -3db frequency point of the simple capacitor filter.

So filtering out anything below 500 Hz or so assuming a 4 ohm speaker would be a 80 microfarad value.

R = Speaker Impedance in Ohms
C = Capacitor value in Micorfarads value above is 80 exponential value -06.
Pi = 3.1416

If you order capacitors make sure they are NON-polarized ones.