Keep TT chip or go with Extender?

gorge1087

I recently picked up a Gen II translator and an LT1 MAF and haven’t got around installing it. I am currently running a 6.1 TT chip and have no complaints about it. I can get an extender chip and matching 60# injectors for it from the guy I bought the MAF from.

My questions is, would I see a real improvement from going to the extender chip from my current set up? I’ll be getting a power logger after I come back from deployment.

Current combo:
160 t stat, PT6162, ported stock heads, CAI, 70mm TB, 50# injectors, TT matching chip, LC-1 WB, adj FPR, hot wire kit, FMIC, Alky @25psi, 3”dp, 3” exhaust, 3021 Husek Converter, Standard Plus Husek Transmission

Only time at the track went 11.6 @118

I've got the Bob Bailey's extender extreme chip, GenII translator & 85mm MAF with PowerLogger / wideband & couldn't be happier.
Can't go wrong with Eric's TT chip either. (Just Sayin)

The powerlogger would net you more power from being able to tune more accurately.

From what little I know Scooby Doo is correct , Its hard to beat Eric's chips . Thank you for your service , Keith

The Gen-2 is not officially discontinued, and lots of guys use them with great success. They are more complicated to tune than a basic chip, the added flexibility is perhaps too much considering the narrow RPM range these cars make their power in.

The adjustability of the Extender Extreme G chips is similar to the TT chips.

There is no power in one chip over another, providing each is properly tuned. You will see improvement in spool and power just from the MAF/Translator upgrade. If the 50's are big enough for your combo+goals, you are likely fine sticking with what you have. If you can get the 60's and Extender for a good deal, it will give you a little room to grow.

In either case, feel free to contact me (and/or Eric) for tips on setting up the new system.

Bob

The Gen-2 is not officially discontinued, and lots of guys use them with great success. They are more complicated to tune than a basic chip, the added flexibility is perhaps too much considering the narrow RPM range these cars make their power in.

The adjustability of the Extender Extreme G chips is similar to the TT chips.

There is no power in one chip over another, providing each is properly tuned. You will see improvement in spool and power just from the MAF/Translator upgrade. If the 50's are big enough for your combo+goals, you are likely fine sticking with what you have. If you can get the 60's and Extender for a good deal, it will give you a little room to grow.

In either case, feel free to contact me (and/or Eric) for tips on setting up the new system.

Bob

Thanks for the reply. If I am reading past posts correctly, I could hook up the MAF and Translator with Eric’s chip but it would work as the basic translator and won’t be able to edit anything with it? This is fine with me for now.

If I go this route, I’ll get the Extender and the injectors from the guy I got the MAFT from. But I am in no rush.

I’ll hit you up on PM

unless you are ready for more boost and or more timing or to change the afr, swapping chips, and changing injectors and maf buying logging equipment will just cost you alot of money and you will go no faster.guys upgrade things because they plan on pushing the motor harder and want to look at whats happening.with 118mph trap i would be looking into the right tire and launching the car harder to drop the et.

unless you are ready for more boost and or more timing or to change the afr, swapping chips, and changing injectors and maf buying logging equipment will just cost you alot of money and you will go no faster.guys upgrade things because they plan on pushing the motor harder and want to look at whats happening.with 118mph trap i would be looking into the right tire and launching the car harder to drop the et.

100% agree. That 11.6 was the second and last pass I’ve made on this set up. Barely touched the settings on the chip too. Hopefully one of these days the track won’t be as packed.

I recently picked up a Gen II translator and an LT1 MAF and haven’t got around installing it. I am currently running a 6.1 TT chip and have no complaints about it. I can get an extender chip and matching 60# injectors for it from the guy I bought the MAF from.

My questions is, would I see a real improvement from going to the extender chip from my current set up? I’ll be getting a power logger after I come back from deployment.

Current combo:
160 t stat, PT6162, ported stock heads, CAI, 70mm TB, 50# injectors, TT matching chip, LC-1 WB, adj FPR, hot wire kit, FMIC, Alky @25psi, 3”dp, 3” exhaust, 3021 Husek Converter, Standard Plus Husek Transmission

Only time at the track went 11.6 @118

If you want to spend a little time to understand how it works, it would be a step up.
The biggest difference is you are reading metered air, so your fueling will automatically adjust for changing conditions. You won't lose your tune if you disconnect the battery. Once it is setup, timing and fueling adjustments are a snap, you just have to do an initial investment in learning and setup.

Then, just like the TT chip, you pull or add fuel to adjust for the alky. It has wide band tracking, timing adjustment, and the chip also has some adjustment capability, but rarely needed as most adjustments can be done via the translator.
If the GENII had the built in boost control, I would have bought that instead of the MAFT pro, as I use the pro as a translator.

I really like the MAFT pro (again I use very similar to the GENII), and if I upgrade down the road it would be the ecu for GN. I enjoyed figuring out how to use it, so it depend on your appetite for that. I think you could go just as fast with either, comes down to tuning preference, and whether you see your self using the extra features the extender chip would provide. Recommend getting a GENII manual and thoroughly reading then decide.

If you have a powerlogger I would say dump both those chips and MAF and get a SD2 chip . I love mine it actually gives you the ability to completely tune your car not to mention flex fuel is sweet. Basically you will never have to buy another chip or send it in to get something changed like injector size ect. There is a board member who actually gained some decent power just from swapping the sd2 chip in and removing the maf .

your biggest improvement will come from dropping the 60ft and 330 as 118mph is good for low 11s.

Those with PL will notice Erics low gear fueling is rich on default. Drag the low gear 02's down into the 780 range and watch your 330 ET drop. If you're not tuning low gear fuel/timing, then you're leaving a bunch on the table.

Get a pl and you can adjust the 6.1 chip with it for easier changes. You also can see what's really happening and refer back to it.

Those with PL will notice Erics low gear fueling is rich on default. Drag the low gear 02's down into the 780 range and watch your 330 ET drop. If you're not tuning low gear fuel/timing, then you're leaving a bunch on the table.
I agree with this I have seen it first hand helping a buddy tune at the track!! Both chips are good and like mentioned having a power logger and being able to go back and look at the run frame by frame helps a bunch as well