KC Area Machine Shop???

mike brush

Does anyone know of machine shops in the Kansas City area who are used to working with turbo buick engines? Need to do a rebuild shortly...Would like to find a shop that is experienced and dependable...Any recommendations would be appreciated! Mike

Thanks, Bob...
I just bought an 85 T-type (my first turbo Buick)...
Is there a club in town or other resources?
Would like to meet other turbo Buick owners
and get ideas on how to make performance improvements...
Seems like you guys know all the tricks!
Any ideas are appreciated...
Mike

Yeah, theres a bunch of us buick guys here. Quick 6 n kc is on the board here alot! where are you located? Bob

K&N Speed shop, off of highway 350 out by you phone # 816-353-4422. They have done 2 for me & 1 for Joe JR.? I don't know if that is good or bad. :confused:

Thanks for the help! I've already started tearing into the car...Owning a turbo buick is gonna be an experience, I can tell...lol

Sad i didnt see this thread earlier.

If you get your motor to Yancy Shepard(smithville), you will get it done in 3 months, thats what he told me for my 3.8 and 4.1 buildups about 1 month ago....
Thats a little too long for me to wait.
His number is 816 436 0952 and 816 532 8318

He is pretty busy buildin roundy round motors right now. He does really great work. Call him tomorrow and his time frame is right on...

Karen at K&M will tell you 2-3 months, when 8 months goes by and you dont have it.... Well ya know how that goes
Buddy of mine, his bigblocks been sitting at K&M for 9 months,Just thought id throw that out there.....

They do great work, their time frame is a little off, i almost dropped my stuff off there at christmas time till i got the word from 2 sources.
They did my girdled 109 block, excellent prices and quality!

If you want excellent head work/service, go to noland cylinder head at
1519 charlotte street Talk with Tom noland to get major repair done.
If you want ported heads, get with Jim Duncan, comparable champion irons for 500.00 or so.... Ive got his number here, sure PAPA JOE does to :wink:

They fixed my cracked iron champions for cheap and installed new guides seals and all new valves.
Decked my other set of irons .012 for 40.00 and they are the #1 people to get stuff done FAST... Ive never seen so many blocks being repaired at once!

If you want any type of custom stainless steel downpipes, exhaust ect..
Tim Reed at Home of the Fastest Street Cars in Kansas City Click the 2004 GTO under the WHATS NEW section. He is a vendor and moderator on this site. monte
Located in merriam kansas

He does do alot of repairs on performance cars. A great source for performance parts and in house tig welding....

Hi Papa Joe & Bob:smile:

PS, Bob you spoke with Tim the other day on my cell phone. Thats his website above.

BW

Yup...I bought the white 1985 T-type...Thanks for all the good advice...So who would you go to for the block work when you want good work, reasonable prices, and timely turnaround? Not sure any of the folks you mentioned meet that criteria...lol Thanks again! Mike

What is exactly wrong with it?

There is a guy in shawnee that will do the machining, but you have to assemble the motor.

What are your goals for the car (speed wise)

BW

Well, it runs, but has 170,000 miles on it and it smokes a little...Doesn't seem to knock though and it starts up quick and idles good, so I'm guessing that it's a good candidate for a rebuild...The car seems pretty slow to me right now, however...the transmission probably could use a rebuild too...As for my goals, it's a hot air car, and I know that limits things, but I was hopin to get it into the 13's for starters without a ton of work and expense...Don't know what all it would take to get there, though...M.

I would do a leak down test, and compression test.
The turbo or the pcv valve might be the culprit for the smoke. Just depends on how bad it is.

Sometimes, if the heads were reworked, the car will smoke at idle or at decelleration. Also the turbo can be the culprit for both, mostly at when your slowing down with a high vacuum.

Id check vacuum and oil pressure, then decide if the motor needs rebuilt. 5 psi hot hot hot is acceptable!

170,000 it might be ok. Just depends on how it was taken care of.

I would first find the reason for the smoke, then see if it needs a rebuild.

13s in a 86-87 is too easy
If you take the motor apart, you could just do the 87 setup... I believe the only difference in the harness is 1 wire and just pin that to the 86-87 computer.

BW
BW

I would steer clear of K&M right now. Since Mort died the shop has gone to **** as far as I'm concerned. I highly recommended them to a buddy of mine for his 428 cobra jet and they have been jerking him around since the second week of November with nothing but BS and lies. The worst part about it is Karen is a really nice person that I think is way over her head running that show. Keven is a great machinist and really knows his stuff but he has work piled over his head and doesn't know where to start....not good! Anyhow, I'd look around and see what other places are available. My buddy Mark told me there was a good shop in Olathe but I don't what the name of it...sorry.

Thanks for the heads-up! Actually, I'm still trying to get the engine out of the car...Lotsa wiring and hoses...Sure hope I can remember how it all goes back...It seems like the harness wraps all the way around the engine from one side of the firewall to the other... Anybody got any ideas on how to get the engine out without cutting it? Also, the fuel line fittings wont come loose where they connect to the filter by the front crossmember...Any tricks there?

Like Bryan said, Les down here in Shawnee seems to do nice work. My dads engine is ready to assemble, and everything looks good. Unfortunately, Less will NOT build the short block.......... fairly reasonable prices too. I can get his number if needed. He is framiliar with the Buick V6s, (races an 8 second NA V6 car), but is a stubborn guy when it comes to doing things his way. HTH, welcome to the Turbo Buick World!!!

Looking for a Machine Shop in the Kansas City area (I'm located in Olathe) Need to get my engine hot tanked, bored .020, and rotating assy balanced. Is there any recommended machine shops?? I'll use Nolands for the head work but desperate to find a place for the engine block work

Not sure of any around town anymore. Used one up in Smithville on a customers build that I used on my own years ago, and would not recommend anymore! I have my personal engine up at Bisons now.

Not sure of any around town anymore. Used one up in Smithville on a customers build that I used on my own years ago, and would not recommend anymore! I have my personal engine up at Bisons now.
Bison's in NJ? or is there another one around the KC area? - Thanks for your reply. I talked to Nolands cyl head service and they turned me on to a shop in Wichita - Sad that I have to go that far but may be worth it