JW Flexplate Install

Brandon706

Can someone tell me which side the flexplate attaches to the crank. The flexplate doesn't have the raised areas like the chevy engines I am use to installing. Thanks

it can only bolt on one way, the bolt pattern looks even spaced but its not

look at ring gear attachment and the side that the disc is closest to edge of ring gear is toward transmission

Can someone tell me which side the flexplate attaches to the crank. The flexplate doesn't have the raised areas like the chevy engines I am use to installing. Thanks

Here's a pic:

jwwheel.jpg

You may have to use a file to slightly open up a hole as alignment is often an issue.

You may have to use a file to slightly open up a hole as alignment is often an issue.

It seem like every JW wheel I've bought has this problem. Is it the flywheel or the aftermarket cranks?

It seem like every JW wheel I've bought has this problem. Is it the flywheel or the aftermarket cranks?

We always have issues with JW stuff. Bolt holes not lining up is a common issue. This is also why we don't use their SFI cases for glides and T400 builds.

As for the Chinese cranks....that's another issue. Many times the pilot size is off or not deep enough and even the crank flange is moved which will cause issues with converter spacing. If it makes you feel any better, the BMS cranks had pilot sizing issues as well.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the info Dusty. It is a problem that I have often run into, but never heard anyone complain about. I wish i had access to a CMM to find out who is really at fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The JW plate in my car lined up fine on the stock crank. We did have another JW plate that had the weight welded to the wrong side (converter wouldn't mount flush) so we cut it off and moved it.

I had the same problem with a JW flywheel. One bolt hole was off. I tried a stock flywheel on my Chinese stroker crank. It was not the crank. The stocker bolted right up. I don't mind buzzing the hole out a litle, but for what the JW costs, it should fit. The 50.00 CAT flywheels always bolted right up.

Both my JW flywheels fit. One on a BMS crank, the other on a Crower billet.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a note in the box of my JW that said to open up the holes to 7/16 diameter.
We did not find it until after we were cussing like crazy because it did not fit.

There was a note in the box of my JW that said to open up the holes to 7/16 diameter.
We did not find it until after we were cussing like crazy because it did not fit.

Which bolt holes? I am having trouble getting the bolt holes to line up to the crank

Oh...my issue was torque conv bolts. Sorry

I had to drill mine also because the converter that was used required larger than stock bolts. I didn't catch the problem until the transmission was back in the car and you can't get a straight shot at the holes with a regular drill.