Just tried some E-85 and wow!

Just a thought....

There has to be a very good reason the guys running E85 are running great big injectors and pumps. I would think that one thing, in and of itself, should a big consideration for guys running 28-60lb injectors on mild to wild setups.

I'm no expert, but for all of this talk about "hurting the motor", a lean condition would do the most damage in the shortest amount of time. I would also think the reason the E85 guys run such big stuff is to avoid that very thing.

I'm jus' sayin.

Hey Chicken...I don't think Papa Lou would take to kindly to it if you were to somehow mess up that new stroker by messing with fuel mixtures....... No sirree.;)

I understand the need for larger injectors and more volume with E85. The E85 guys say you need 30% larger injectors, and that's when you're running 100% E85. My thinking is that if you're only running 30% E85, you should only need 10% larger injectors.

I'm running 60's and am nowhere NEAR maxing them out. I will soon be making the jump to E85 for sure with new injectors, chip, pumps, and lines if required (I haven't figured that out). This is actually #2 on my list of things to do. #1 is replacing the timing set and sealing the front cover, oil pan, and rear main.

Thank you for your advice - it IS greatly appreciated!!! And who knows - maybe Papa Lou would love E85....if he were to try it!!! Especially if he were to try it in polloloco's car!!!;)

I dont know how long you consider to be long term but we have been running it for 6-7 years now with nothing but excellent results. I remember back when I first started using it, I made a post about the potential and everyone and their brother shut me down and said the only way to go is an alky kit.:p

JD talked me into going with 100% E85 in my car over a year ago....hands down best bang for the buck I ever did for my car. :D The conversations at the gas pump are worth it alone!

Just as i was reading this a shell commercial came on the tv,+ said there ethenol is made with their partner in brazil + is made from sugar cane. On the pump they showed ,it just said ethenol it didn't show e85.
I was thinking it was all made from corn,,, or is this a diff product?
I'll have to google it later, when i have more time.

Hey Chicken...I don't think Papa Lou would take to kindly to it if you were to somehow mess up that new stroker by messing with fuel mixtures....... No sirree.;)

Oh I wouldn't do anything like that without written authorization in triplicate from Papa Lou....I absolutely HATE wearing the "Shut up, Stupid!" sign and that soiled sheep outfit....:eek:

Here's some nice information on Ethanol. It can be fermented from many sources, just happens we have lots of corn in America (not so much this year with the drought). http://web.extension.illinois.edu/ethanol/
Yeah, its been extremelyhot and dry in a lot of the country this year, especially in the mid west where the vast majority of the corn is grown. I farm for a living, and know all too well how it feels to see all you you have worked for to dry up in the fields. Please say a prayer for those farmers who have had to endure the drought.
Lee

SpeeednV6 said:
Casey, Did you add any fuel thru the chip or the reg?

Stock regulator. When you get a Turbo tweak chip from Eric, he burns the chip for what you have and are running. I'm sure he added the additional fuel for what I'm running on the chip.

Casey Jensen said:
Stock regulator. When you get a Turbo tweak chip from Eric, he burns the chip for what you have and are running. I'm sure he added the additional fuel for what I'm running on the chip.

Polzin tried to talk me into 100% e-85 and I was as apprehensive as most on this board. That's why when I put a 87 ecm (from Polzin) in my 84 and ordered a chip from Turbo tweak that maybe I would go half way and just run 50/50 mix of pump gas and e-85 to try it out and installed the 60# injectors after talking with Eric and Jeremy. Like I said before, no problems after running it a year. After doing this, I think in the near future I will switch to 100% e-85. Although as a farmer in Nebraska, with the current grain price I wonder about the ethanol industry. Its great for me, but bad for the future of ethanol.

Casey, what I meant to ask was did you add higher fuel perameters to your TT chip manually, i.e. 2-20% more fuel WOT?

I understand the need for larger injectors and more volume with E85. The E85 guys say you need 30% larger injectors, and that's when you're running 100% E85. My thinking is that if you're only running 30% E85, you should only need 10% larger injectors.

I'm running 60's and am nowhere NEAR maxing them out. I will soon be making the jump to E85 for sure with new injectors, chip, pumps, and lines if required (I haven't figured that out). This is actually #2 on my list of things to do. #1 is replacing the timing set and sealing the front cover, oil pan, and rear main.

Thank you for your advice - it IS greatly appreciated!!! And who knows - maybe Papa Lou would love E85....if he were to try it!!! Especially if he were to try it in polloloco's car!!!;)

Drove a little more last night with the 30% E85 mix. Got brave and put another 1/2 turn on the RJC BC. No knock - 768 at the top of third pretty consistently. The car isn't WILD by any means, but it is definitely MORE. If I had the track time, I might play with timing a little bit. I'll continue to increase boost until I see ANY sign of knock. At the first sign of knock, I'll add fuel to see if that kills it. If not, back the boost down till I see no knock. Wish I was going to be in town this weekend!!! I'm sold on going E85 all the way - it's just a matter of the timing set and getting the chip.

768 seems too lean....but maybe this is normal for E85 mix.

With Cali 91 octane Supreme and Alky on the street I like to keep my O2's up around 800 just for safety and I leave my timing where TurboTweak set the chip.

Track tune I adjust boost and fuel to tickle 780's and play with timing a little.

How much HP can 96lb injectors support running E85?

At 70 psi (45 base plus 25 boost) and static (100% DC), they will flow about 97 gph, or roughly 750 hp on E85.

At 70 psi and 85% DC, they provide about 83 gph, or roughly 650 hp.

Polzin tried to talk me into 100% e-85 and I was as apprehensive as most on this board. That's why when I put a 87 ecm (from Polzin) in my 84 and ordered a chip from Turbo tweak that maybe I would go half way and just run 50/50 mix of pump gas and e-85 to try it out and installed the 60# injectors after talking with Eric and Jeremy. Like I said before, no problems after running it a year. After doing this, I think in the near future I will switch to 100% e-85. Although as a farmer in Nebraska, with the current grain price I wonder about the ethanol industry. Its great for me, but bad for the future of ethanol.

So is the TT chip you have burned specifically for E85?

I gave the E-85 a try. Mixed 4 gallons of it in with the 91 octane. Can't say I felt much of a difference. At best it had a small amount of kick and the AFR's went up a little.

Mixing it will not give you much of a feel for it until you get to a 50/50 mixture. Then you are lean on the fueling side if you can't control the fueling via the ECM and should proceed with extreme caution. If you're really interested in trying E85, I would suggest you start a group thread. Get a 60lb E85 chip from Eric or Bob and pass it around to other members for a fee. Do the same for those with 80 lbers. Now you all can try a pure tank of E85 and 15-22psi.

I just read the entire thread, interesting..... we do have a station in the area that sells corn fuel.... anyone running 50% 91-93 gas, 50% corn mush and alky? Sounds like may not be a need for alky with the corn fuel. I'm spoiled and been running 25 psi for yrs, on the 92 octane and alky. With the 6262 turbo, it really wakes up at 25psi .....

Chuck

Yep, E-85 is the be all, end all. WOW!! Y'all just go out there, fill 'er up with E 85 and go ahead and stick yer foot in it!

Or maybe just "mix a bit" cause it feels so good and "them other guys didn't hurt nuthin'" .... so they said....

Gitch y'self a chip and go for it!!!!!!!!

Don't bother to upgrade nuthin' else, Y'all don't need it!

The guys are telling you th' e-85 is th' $H1T, aren't they???

Might as well go for it, RIGHT??????

Yeah, Right..........

I'll wait until I have the money, experience and knowledge (or put my trust in someone that does know E-85) to do it right the first time, thank you.

I'll stick with proven 91/93 octane, an Alky system and chip as long as I continue to use my stock fuel system and ECM.

I do mid 10's with this combo all day long.

Good luck to the rest of you if you choose to "mix", better get it right is all I can say......

Not trying to be an A hole, I'm just trying to bring this thread back down to earth......