Just purchased 81 Pacecar!

Indybrad

So I just purchased an 81 Regal pacecar, it is a true Y58 pace car but does not have dash plaque or any info on backside of the mirror as to what car number it is. Is there any other identifying information that might be hidden? There is a small yellow square sticker on the inside of the trunk with the number 2 on it? I also noticed that on the trunk lid there is a piece of trim that on other pictures i see is black along with the taillight surrounds being black. On mine the taillights are black but the trim piece on the trunk is stainless so I'm thinking maybe an early production car. Any ideas or any other information would greatly be appreciated.

thanks,

Brad

So I just purchased an 81 Regal pacecar, it is a true Y58 pace car but does not have dash plaque or any info on backside of the mirror as to what car number it is. Is there any other identifying information that might be hidden? There is a small yellow square sticker on the inside of the trunk with the number 2 on it? I also noticed that on the trunk lid there is a piece of trim that on other pictures i see is black along with the taillight surrounds being black. On mine the taillights are black but the trim piece on the trunk is stainless so I'm thinking maybe an early production car. Any ideas or any other information would greatly be appreciated.

thanks,

Brad

I have a bunch of photos of the 81 pace car that the Sloan Museum owns. The car is on display in the baggage terminal at Flint Bishop Airport. If you want I can send you some pics but it's of the car all closed up.

Not sure what the #2 sticker is as Indy #002 I’m pretty sure is the Sloan museum car. Indy #001 and #002 were the two convertible pace cars. Sounds like the trunk lip trim could’ve been changed out at some point, It should be black like the taillight trim. I have Indy #148.

Attachments

• EAE7FE73-056E-4E48-B2FB-F9BAE00F615F.jpeg
    EAE7FE73-056E-4E48-B2FB-F9BAE00F615F.jpeg
    641.9 KB · Views: 153
Not sure what the #2 sticker is as Indy #002 I’m pretty sure is the Sloan museum car. Indy #001 and #002 were the two convertible pace cars. Sounds like the trunk lip trim could’ve been changed out at some point, It should be black like the taillight trim. I have Indy #148.

I love the look of those pace cars, especially the paint and interior schemes. Nice buy.

I like those a little less....

We used to call them "A Fishbowl on Wheels".

My HS Junior year girlfriend's father drove one. I had a '65 Ford Fairlane with a little 260 V8 in it and even I was embarrassed for him. He insisted on driving her to school in it her entire Freshman year even though they lived less than a 1/4 mile from the school.

I think that maybe that was the reason she started dating me. In her sophomore year I had a car, ANY car but a Pacer, and would pick her up at home......... :ROFLMAO:

Not to say that we always went to school "on time" those days............ ;) No social distancing back then, NONE! What the hell are kids doing these days to "get a little"? :oops: She was a wild one. no doubt. :cool:

Ah, the old days...... Old, Old days....... LOL

Last edited:

My HS Junior year girlfriend's father drove one. I had a '65 Ford Fairlane with a little 260 V8 in it and even I was embarrassed for him. He insisted on driving her to school in it her entire Freshman year even though they lived less than a 1/4 mile from the school.

I think that maybe that was the reason she started dating me. In her sophomore year I had a car, ANY car but a Pacer, and would pick her up at home......... :ROFLMAO:

Not to say that we always went to school "on time" those days............ ;) No social distancing back then, NONE! What the hell are kids doing these days to "get a little"? :oops: She was a wild one. no doubt. :cool:

Guess his plan didn't work since she still started dating you. Bet all through HS she was never called by her name but, "The girl who's Dad drives a Pacer" You took a big gamble by maybe becoming, "The guy who's dating the girl who's Dad drives a Pacer":LOL:
I read a story a while back so don't remember the specifics but most younger people aren't even interested in sex let alone a relationship with the opposite sex (thought I better throw that in). Heck, most it seems can't even carry on a face to face conversation since they're more interested in social media. o_O

TurboTGuy, I am picturing the grey beard more clearly now.

Guess his plan didn't work since she still started dating you. Bet all through HS she was never called by her name but, "The girl who's Dad drives a Pacer" You took a big gamble by maybe becoming, "The guy who's dating the girl who's Dad drives a Pacer":LOL:
I read a story a while back so don't remember the specifics but most younger people aren't even interested in sex let alone a relationship with the opposite sex (thought I better throw that in). Heck, most it seems can't even carry on a face to face conversation since they're more interested in social media. o_O

No his plan was thwarted by me. She sat in front of me in Biology class and her name was Andrea. She went by Andi, she was cute as a bug and hotter than Georgia asphalt in the back seat of that ol' Ferd......... :devil:

Ah, memories....... Shit, getting old sucks, huh?

Back to our regularly scheduled Buick programming. Sorry to hijack, OP.

Fookin' Cool Car!

I love the look of those pace cars, especially the paint and interior schemes. Nice buy.

Back in TurboTGuys's day, and mine, drivers ed was part of the school curriculum. Growing up in Flint, home of our beloved Buick, our drivers ed cars were early 80's Regals, NA of course.
Oh how cool it would've been to take class in that 81 pace car.

My Drivers Ed car was a 1975 Caprice full on luxury liner.

Went down the highway like a yacht....... I was a late bloomer and could hardly see over the steering wheel...... :oops: :ROFLMAO: :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Scared the fuck out of my DE teacher changing lanes more than once....... :D

1587688879264.png

On yours is there any other identifying marks besides dash plaque or mirror, maybe via the VIN or build sheet as to what car # it is?

Where did you get the matching stripes for the bumper fillers for yours? Mine needs the fillers which I already have.

On yours is there any other identifying marks besides dash plaque or mirror, maybe via the VIN or build sheet as to what car # it is?

No and I think the rear view mirror and dash plaque numbers sometime contradicts each other as mine has 50 on the mirror and 148 on the dash plaque. I think the rear view number may have been what they used to keep up with keys and who had the car. I’m not 100% sure. Unfortunately there is very little information on these cars even in the press brochures I have. Buick didn’t do good record keeping at all so unfortunately the VIN won’t give you the actual car number. Build sheet is also no help on identifying.