Just picked up my 1st 1987 Buick Grand National today.

James Heister

It's been sitting in a garage for 4 years with out having much done to it besides changing the oil and starting it up once a week. The guy drove it around the block every once in a while. I drove it 150 miles home today. Did pretty good but I was wondering what I should all do to it to get it ready for this summer and playing at the race track.

Attachments

• IMG_20180303_122520399_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180303_122520399_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 115
Nice congrats!
Looks pretty stock. I would get a scan master first so you can see the vitals before you start beating the streets.

x2 ^^^

Welcome aboard.
Figure out exactly what you have and make sure you have all the "vitals" in-line.

I see a few clues that you may need to proceed with caution. Open element air-filter & valve cover breather. Also, the tie-down strap hooked to the alternator mount. Doesn't mean anything is wrong, but someone has performed a few performance/racing related modifications. There may be more that someone more knowledgeable than I can spot.

You should also research the Power Master brake system.

It's been sitting in a garage for 4 years with out having much done to it besides changing the oil and starting it up once a week. The guy drove it around the block every once in a while. I drove it 150 miles home today. Did pretty good but I was wondering what I should all do to it to get it ready for this summer and playing at the race track.
Don’t think it’s possible, but it sure looks like a cork in the end of the driver side fuel rail????

Don’t think it’s possible, but it sure looks like a cork in the end of the driver side fuel rail????
Thought that was some rust.

The end of the throttle body / I.C. clamp looks the same.

post some more pics, as we all "remember the day" and want to relive some of it with you.

also, some closeups of the engine, so we can see whats been done (the visible stuff anyway)

first thing to do is look for leaks and stuff. Then find/replace the wastegate hoses (little vacuum lines on the turbo with a Y fitting)

a scantool is a very handy tool for diagnosis and tuning (scanmasters are good....)

find out what chip is in the ECM, that may provide clues to the modifications also.

and, finally, CONGRATS.

bob

Thanks everyone, I will post more pictures tomorrow of the motor and try to find out what chip they have in it as well.

the original fuel rail cap was steel, so that's probably what you all are asking about.

B

I'm the guy that makes them (full disclosure here) All the major vendors carry them, or you can order from me.

There are 2 kinds, depending on how you want to configure your interior. The original one is a rectangular box, and usually guys mount them on top of the radio pod, or on top of the dash. The Scanmaster G is a round gauge type, and needs to be mounted in a gauge pod or gauge cup.

Send me a PM if you want and we can discuss details.

Bob