Just added a duttweiler necked intercooler ,

beginner

Just added a duttweiler necked intercooler and picked up several pounds of boost in the process, but now the car pops and backfires ? What went wrong ? Boost has increased to about 21 psi, do I need to back it down some ? or look elsewhere for the problem ?

That's too much boost for 91 or 93 octane. You can either decrease the boost to what it was or if you want to run higher boost you would need to fill her up with high octane race gas, install a methanol injection kit or convert to E-85.
Watch the scanmaster for no knock retard, that way you're not replacing head gaskets.

Thanks for your advice. It would act up some on 93 with 18 psi, but nothing like it is now at 21. I will retard the boost to where it was before the intercooler upgrade. I also thought it may be fuel pressure as I do not have a hot wire kit. I'm just getting started. I have a methanol injection kit, but have yet to install. I'm looking for basic bolt ons with hopes of reaching the high 11's

11s are easy with bolt on's but not 21 lbs with just Duttneck , your gonna blow a head gasket . Install the alky kit and go slow . A ton of info here

With the RJC Racing power plate some have run 18 psi boost with a stock location intercooler (SLIC), either stock or a stretched version with 93 only.
Some have tuned on the edge and ran 20-21 psi boost on 93 only with a fairly large front mount intercooler (FMIC) to reduce intake air temps and cylinder temps to reduce detonation (knock).

Let the car tell you what it likes, it sounds like the car is telling you to lower the boost to 15 or 16 psi and see if it's happy there, before adding the alky.

Watch the scanmaster and make sure there is no knock retard (kr), if there is any, turn the boost down.

Definitely get the fuel pump hot wire kit installed before turning up the boost with the alky, higher boost levels require higher fuel pressures. Fuel pumps flow less at elevated pressures, combine that with the lower voltage running through the small factory wiring (approx 9V at the pump) and your asking for trouble. Ok, maybe your not asking for trouble, but it will find you. Lol

Turn that boost way down until you can do some data logging with a scan master or power logger to see where your at. Then baby steps turning it up so you don't hurt that motor.

Just added a duttweiler necked intercooler and picked up several pounds of boost in the process, but now the car pops and backfires ? What went wrong ? Boost has increased to about 21 psi, do I need to back it down some ? or look elsewhere for the problem ?
STOP running the car at 21psi with no real octane in it.you will need higher octane in the form of race gas or meth injection or e85 to safely run the boost above 15psi on the street.

STOP running the car at 21psi with no real octane in it.you will need higher octane in the form of race gas or meth injection or e85 to safely run the boost above 15psi on the street.

Good advice, learn how to run the boost safely.

Just my testimony here...take it as you like. I run 19-20 psi with 93 octane and NO alky. I DO have a RJC power plate, Duttneck SLIC, Walbro 340 pump w/ hotwire. I DO monitor my fuel pressure gauge, my boost gauge, and my Scanmaster. I also have an AXIS controller that I can add fuel if necessary. I'm definitely on the edge, but my car takes it with NO knock. As stated above.. I would not suggest running above 19 psi without higher octane, alky, or E85. As far as "acting up" I suggest that you gap your plugs tight... 24-28, as higher boost levels can blow out the flame, causing spit and sputter.

Get yourself a Scanmaster, and install your alky kit, and be prepared to service/replace the alky pump every 2 years.