Junkyard Cutlass doors

Scott A

Found a set of decent doors on a 82 Cutlass yesterday that I can pickup for about $80. Interesting enough, they are not rotted but do have very little surface rust on the bottom inside which I think would clean up nice. I was suprised to find a Cutlass in this yard, and the doors were not rotted - midwest yard cars are typically rotted pretty good.

I was going to repair the ones for my regal, but these are in better shape. How much do rust free doors normally go for? Do the old doors with little rot bring any money?

Thanks

Completely rust free doors are very hard to find in the midwest. I pulled a set off a cutlass a few years back, that i thought were a great deal. $50 each, I remove. Each had minor "easy fix" surface rust. Year or so later I needed funds so I pulled them down and tried to sell them. Wound up getting, $50 each for them. And when the guy fixed them he ran into more of a pain in the ass than either of us thought it would be. I wish i'd left them on the cutlass, and I'll no longer pull a door off unless that thing is flawless.

If they are noticeably nicer than what you have, I'd grab them. But don't expect the old ones to be worth squat.

i have 100% rotfree original doors with original paint i get $500 a door . but doors in the northeast that were on a car that was actually driven and not a garage queen are near impossible to find !!!!!!!!! i have parted more g bodies than most normal people so i have a real good idea of whats out there. i see people all over this country looking for these doors so its not a local problem. i had a guy in SC that i told i would take all the cutlass/regal doors he could find in about 2 years he could only come up with 6 doors and he regularly vists all the junkyards down there.

almost every g body i part out i just gut the doors and throw the shells out rotted doors are worthless.

if you can get really nice doors for $50 each i would be all over it if i were you !!!!!!

and I'll no longer pull a door off unless that thing is flawless.
Then you will never be pulling doors off one ever again unless you are stealing low mileage garaged examples or restored ones.

I always had trouble finding a DS door. I had 100% rot free PS door from a T that I got for $200 I thought that was a good deal. Then I came across a set of doors with near show paint on them for $500 for both. I had to drive 12 hours round trip to get them but it was well worth it. Then I sold the T door for $250 So it worked out good. I spent years looking for the right doors though.

Then you will never be pulling doors off one ever again unless you are stealing low mileage garaged examples or restored ones.

MOSTLY correct. Like TTAOWNER said, if they were normal cars that have been in the weather since day 1 it's a given that the doors are either junk or need quite a bit of help. The parts car I currently own/ cutting apart was in the corner of a body shop since late 80's/early 90's. Driver door is MINT, passenger door is "worth keeping since I already own it". Honestly can't tell what the passenger side WAS since some dumbass ground it to bare metal back then with a grinder that was a bit aggressive :eek: .

The set I talked about in my first post (that are now on usetaboost's car) were the best set that was in a kansas junkyard that had about 15 81-87 regals/cutlasses.

I've seen a few old vehicles show up around here that locals have plucked from the south end of the country that are damn clean vehicles, I have to believe that there's some good doors hiding out in the dry parts of america. Just have to venture out of the rust belt. WAY out. :D

Think I'm going back tomorrow to pull them off and have a better look. I couldn't see any rot on them but will get a closer look before loading them into the truck.

Make sure to yank the door panels and take a small flashlight and peek inside the bottoms. When the window felts get old and fail to do their job, the water and dirt collect on the inside of that bottom seam and that's where it usually starts. I've heard of people washing the seam out good and using por 15 to stop it, don't know how successful that is in the long run. At any rate, if they are nicer than what you have, for that price, i'd grab them.

I think gbodyparts is now making patch panels for the bottoms.

I found a set of rust free doors off a 86 t-type for 150. each.(found them in a junk yard) They are concert sound doors with original black paint. If you turn them up and look at the paint on the inside bottom seem you can see were they missed painting them. So clean doors can be still found. Most deals I find are at u-pull its. But like someone said Look inside bottom of door with a flashlight and check for rust. Most times if the car looks clean(garage kept) chances are the doors are ok

Went back and looked at them again yesterday...decided to pass on them. Weren't as clean as I hoped, still not bad if somebody really needs a set for cheap. They are at the Indy Pull-A-Part.