Is this the 1987 UX1 radio? & what is UQ1?

El Corvino

I was about to purchase a factory replacement stereo per my RPO code, but my buddy who sold it to me found this in his garage and can't remember which of his G-Body's it came from. My 87's audio RPO's are...

UX1 - radio; am/fm stereo with seek/scan+cassette+graphic equalizer+clock
UW4 - concert sound speaker system
U66 - radio speakers, extended range, dual rear
US7 - automatic power antenna
BD1 - Insulation, Acoustical Pkg

image.jpg

Per an old thread I found that linked to Kirban Performance write up, it looks like all of the lettering and such are in the correct spot... there are just a few that look so similar and I wanted to make sure it was in fact the correct one.

Also, I decided pretty much everything on the build list of my car myself... with the help of google that is. The only code I found that I am at a loss with is UQ1 - "RADIO PROVISIONS, FOR STEREO". Anyone know what this is?

The only info I can sort of come up with that does in fact resemble mine from this website is the one people were buying modified to plug their MP3/iPhones into.

radio-2-jpeg.208490

It looks similar, but certainly has some noticeable differences.

Sorry late coming into this thread. The stereo you posted should technically be correct. I have noticed 2 variations of it on the 84-87 Regals. One with the chrome pin stripe circling the controls to the right of the tuner and volume controls and one without the chrome pin stripe. From looking at a lot of original cars (and trust me its difficult to find one not messed with these days) it seems the 84-86 model years had the chrome pin stripe and the 87 model year did not. Someone else might be able to chime in as to when the chrome pin stripe went away as it could have been during the 87 production run. But most of the 87's I have seen with the UX1 equalizer head unit lacked the pin stripe. I am actually curious for myself.

The only info I can sort of come up with that does in fact resemble mine from this website is the one people were buying modified to plug their MP3/iPhones into.

radio-2-jpeg.208490

Looks like the factory radio that was in my 92 Typhoon.

radio-2-jpeg.208490

Yours in not original.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

This is the original UX1 radio from my 87 Regal Limited Turbo T, I hope this helps. Notice there are no pinstripes around the knobs. Your buddy's is a dead on exact match.

Attachments

• 1446956606386.jpg
    1446956606386.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 231
Last edited: