Is the GN losing respect?

My buick an I have got two things in common, AGE an Beauty , so being a sleeper an not being recognized in todays muscle car Magazines as the best darn
Muscle Car made in America in the 1980's doesn't phase me in anyway. owning a TR is like $$$ in the bank !!

I went to a private track rental in Tucson AZ this past Sunday. Only 19 cars were there. 9 second to 12 second cars.

More than 25 people came by (again, only 19 cars were there) to compliment the car, share a story of past ownership of a TR or ask what it was and then say it was cool.

Losing respect? Nowhere even close, the way I see it.

Loosing daily visibility, perhaps.

Those that know, they know. Those that don't, they never paid attention.:cool:

GN's have way too much respect in my area. No challenges just thumbs up, wave and a honk and they keep it moving.
And the two that have stepped up half-assed it with ricer flyby's and attempted ricer flyby's.

When I go to car shows or cruise in's I hang a " for sale" sign on my. '87 GN just for shitzngiggles. One time a fella walks up to me and asks " How much do you want for it ? " I told him "Thirty". He then chuckles and goes on to say "Well, I can find one that good for 20." I said "Okay" , turned and started to walk away. He stopped me and then said "Where you going? " I said "I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you if that's what you want, but I'll say this. If you can find a STOCK , untouched / unmolested except for vacuum brake conversion, new stock body bushings , next to perfect original paint, perfect interior, everything works, no rust anywhere, doesn't rattle or shake, reliable, 31k mile '87 GN as clean as this one is , and drives as well as this one does in this part of the country , then have at it my friend". He then said "Well I know a guy that does have one for sale like yours, and it's *every bit* as good too" . I then asked, " Well then, why don't you go and buy it?"
He then turned and walked away slowly shaking his head.

So, I go and wander around looking at some of the other rides. I look back at my car and see another gent with his wife and daughter and he's looking at it closely. I recognize him as he happens to live across the street from us. He looks underneath, stares at the interior and gazes under the hood., He pulls out his cell phone and calls my number on the sign. I tell him "Hang on for a sec I'm only a hundred feet or so away I'll be right there."
I get there and we start a conversation. He compliments my car on how clean it is and how good it looks. "Does it run as good as it looks?" , he asks. I tell him it runs as good as a stocker does . He told me he owned one when he first met his wife. "A lot of really, really good memories in that car" he goes on to say. He asks how much will I take for it and I tell him. "Worth every penny", he says.

It was getting time for me to leave so I ask him if he wants to go for a short ride. With a big smile on his face he says "Are you kidding me? Of course I'd like a ride!"
It was just us two as I don't have a car seat ( plus I don't like people sitting in the back seat anyway), and as we approach the periphery of the parking lot I stop.
Now, let me preface this next statement by describing this fella. Clean, neatly dressed, very pleasant and a family man much like myself. Added to that I consider myself a very good judge of character. After all I've been a psyche professional for 16 years and I'm very good at spotting goofballs. Plus , one day I was cutting my grass and my tractor caught fire. I'm trying desperately to put it out and he comes running across the street with a bucket of water and douses the flames. One heluva goodguy neighbor he is. Now, every time it snows I take the initiative and clear his driveway when he's at work. (Hell, I have a heavy duty snow blower and it only takes me maybe 15 minutes and I have it out clearing mine, anyway) . That being said I ask him "Ya' wanna drive it?" Another smile on his face, this time noticeably bigger. "Really? Man, don't do that to me. Don't say that unless your serious", he says.
I take the keys out of the ignition , we swap seats and get buckled in. I hand him the keys and off we go. He started out driving like a grandma apologizing for going so slow . He says "I just don't want anything to happen to this beautiful dream car , and it's been a long time since I've had the pleasure of driving one. I guess I'm not quite used to it anymore." "No problem at all, man ", I say, " But when we make this turn ahead ( onto a nice wide straight section of road) light the turbo a little to see what you've been missing."
With that he goes about half throttle , gets into a little boost and gets a sweet "chirp" from the first to second shift. "Oh man...geeeezz! I'm sorry about that ! I totally forgot how hard they sometimes shift. Mine used to do the same thing " he says. "So whatchyu sorry about dude?" I say. "THAT is one of the sweetest sounds ever! in my opinion" I tell him.
We get back to the cruise in where his wife and kid were waiting. Windows down, engine idling with that awesome TB rumble, he's grinning from ear to ear and he tells his wife " Honey, look what we just bought!! " Her eyes got really big and he says " Hey.... I'm just dreaming. Can't blame a guy for dreaming , can ya?" With a smile on her face she says , "Baby, you do look kinda hot in that thing ".
Kinda funny, but before that day I didn't even know his first name. Thanks to my GN, I do now. It was a good day.

I think "TurboT guy" said it best of all. "Those that know, they know. Those that don't, they never paid attention". Damn, I wish I'd said that !

I also agree with what turboguy said, the visibility may not be there but the respect still is. Funny how when I take it out for a drive, every car going the the other direction has to get on it like they are seeking my approval that their car is worthy,,,,Car mags are out to make money and they will regurgitate the same old cars because there are a ton of them and that is what there readers own and want to buy, has nothing to do with respect, just the dollar.

Funny how when I take it out for a drive, every car going the the other direction has to get on it like they are seeking my approval that their car is worthy,,,.

Lynyrd skynyrd said it best with regard to your comment..
"You got that right ! Sho' got that right !

When I go to car shows or cruise in's I hang a " for sale" sign on my. '87 GN just for shitzngiggles. One time a fella walks up to me and asks " How much do you want for it ? " I told him "Thirty". He then chuckles and goes on to say "Well, I can find one that good for 20." I said "Okay" , turned and started to walk away. He stopped me and then said "Where you going? " I said "I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you if that's what you want, but I'll say this. If you can find a STOCK , untouched / unmolested except for vacuum brake conversion, new stock body bushings , next to perfect original paint, perfect interior, everything works, no rust anywhere, doesn't rattle or shake, reliable, 31k mile '87 GN as clean as this one is , and drives as well as this one does in this part of the country , then have at it my friend". He then said "Well I know a guy that does have one for sale like yours, and it's *every bit* as good too" . I then asked, " Well then, why don't you go and buy it?"
He then turned and walked away slowly shaking his head.

So, I go and wander around looking at some of the other rides. I look back at my car and see another gent with his wife and daughter and he's looking at it closely. I recognize him as he happens to live across the street from us. He looks underneath, stares at the interior and gazes under the hood., He pulls out his cell phone and calls my number on the sign. I tell him "Hang on for a sec I'm only a hundred feet or so away I'll be right there."
I get there and we start a conversation. He compliments my car on how clean it is and how good it looks. "Does it run as good as it looks?" , he asks. I tell him it runs as good as a stocker does . He told me he owned one when he first met his wife. "A lot of really, really good memories in that car" he goes on to say. He asks how much will I take for it and I tell him. "Worth every penny", he says.

It was getting time for me to leave so I ask him if he wants to go for a short ride. With a big smile on his face he says "Are you kidding me? Of course I'd like a ride!"
It was just us two as I don't have a car seat ( plus I don't like people sitting in the back seat anyway), and as we approach the periphery of the parking lot I stop.
Now, let me preface this next statement by describing this fella. Clean, neatly dressed, very pleasant and a family man much like myself. Added to that I consider myself a very good judge of character. After all I've been a psyche professional for 16 years and I'm very good at spotting goofballs. Plus , one day I was cutting my grass and my tractor caught fire. I'm trying desperately to put it out and he comes running across the street with a bucket of water and douses the flames. One heluva goodguy neighbor he is. Now, every time it snows I take the initiative and clear his driveway when he's at work. (Hell, I have a heavy duty snow blower and it only takes me maybe 15 minutes and I have it out clearing mine, anyway) . That being said I ask him "Ya' wanna drive it?" Another smile on his face, this time noticeably bigger. "Really? Man, don't do that to me. Don't say that unless your serious", he says.
I take the keys out of the ignition , we swap seats and get buckled in. I hand him the keys and off we go. He started out driving like a grandma apologizing for going so slow . He says "I just don't want anything to happen to this beautiful dream car , and it's been a long time since I've had the pleasure of driving one. I guess I'm not quite used to it anymore." "No problem at all, man ", I say, " But when we make this turn ahead ( onto a nice wide straight section of road) light the turbo a little to see what you've been missing."
With that he goes about half throttle , gets into a little boost and gets a sweet "chirp" from the first to second shift. "Oh man...geeeezz! I'm sorry about that ! I totally forgot how hard they sometimes shift. Mine used to do the same thing " he says. "So whatchyu sorry about dude?" I say. "THAT is one of the sweetest sounds ever! in my opinion" I tell him.
We get back to the cruise in where his wife and kid were waiting. Windows down, engine idling with that awesome TB rumble, he's grinning from ear to ear and he tells his wife " Honey, look what we just bought!! " Her eyes got really big and he says " Hey.... I'm just dreaming. Can't blame a guy for dreaming , can ya?" With a smile on her face she says , "Baby, you do look kinda hot in that thing ".
Kinda funny, but before that day I didn't even know his first name. Thanks to my GN, I do now. It was a good day.

I think "TurboT guy" said it best of all. "Those that know, they know. Those that don't, they never paid attention". Damn, I wish I'd said that !

That's a cool story!

Ya know when I started this thread I was in a sorta slump because car mags give us no credit anymore but reading these stories has been really awesome.

At one of our weekly cruz-in's that that gets 100-200 cars every week I'm always fielding questions about our cars . Most are the usual "is this a GN ? " or " is it a V6 ?" , but one time a guy was REAL curious about my car , how it ran , how much HP . We had a good conversation and he liked my car a lot , then we went to look at his . He said the best he ran was low 11's , and his car was a ............................... '15 GTR . I love my car . Sam

Ya know when I started this thread I was in a sorta slump because car mags give us no credit anymore but reading these stories has been really awesome.
GN's are in a niche of real car guy people me thinks. The respect lost was the respect that was never given or realized by those who think they are/where car people.

There is a saying that say's the loudest words spoken are the words left unspoken, our secret = less DA's. ;)

I live in a relatively small town between 2 larger towns in south east Fl....More than the normal amount of hot rods, classics, race cars, rat rods, and brand new vettes, turbo this, supercharge that, It's a wealthy area and sunny all the time.....
I drive my car all the time and go to 5 or 6 shows a year. Car always draws its share of attention....
But the reason I'm posting this is because Nobody even thinks about wanting to race me anymore.......period
I've beat some fast powerful cars and it just blows everybody's mind that I have A/C, power everything, 6 cyl, comfortable,
20 mpg, (maybe) and the baddest 10 sec car in town...been told that many , many times....The car has changed the way people think about the GN's
in this neck of the woods...The car community here never experienced something like this....
So, like TurboTGuy said, those that know........ Well, in this town, now they know...:)

I live in a relatively small town between 2 larger towns in south east Fl....More than the normal amount of hot rods, classics, race cars, rat rods, and brand new vettes, turbo this, supercharge that, It's a wealthy area and sunny all the time.....
I drive my car all the time and go to 5 or 6 shows a year. Car always draws its share of attention....
But the reason I'm posting this is because Nobody even thinks about wanting to race me anymore.......period
I've beat some fast powerful cars and it just blows everybody's mind that I have A/C, power everything, 6 cyl, comfortable,
20 mpg, (maybe) and the baddest 10 sec car in town...been told that many , many times....The car has changed the way people think about the GN's
in this neck of the woods...The car community here never experienced something like this....
So, like TurboTGuy said, those that know........ Well, in this town, now they know...:)

That car runs pretty damn good. Nice ride, Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

I actually think our cars are gaining more respect and pub. Especially with the new age of social media. I'm not sure how many people on this forum are on any type of social media, but my car along with a few others I know that are in this group have been featured several times on various Instagram and Facebook pages that have a huge following. I get folks dang near everyday asking me questions about my car. Social Media/Internet is the way of the times anyway. You are able to reach the masses more than ever. It's has its advantages and disadvantages, but there are several social media outlets doing great things by our cars.

Also, (as others have mentioned) everytime we drive these cars it's hard not to get stopped, recognized or get a thumbs up wherever we go. At least when I go to a show or cruise-in I know I'm going to have unique car and not one of many....

Wow, and here I thought EVERY TR owner who has internet access reads www.GM-EFI.com.

Created by the former staff of GM High-Tech, it's a online-only direct replacement for what GMHTP was, and a simple search on our site will bring you seemingly endless Turbo Buick content. We even have two in-house Buick project vehicles (among others); a 1987 Grand National and a 2000 Regal GS. The GS is currently getting a new engine, while the GN is getting completely rebuilt from the ground up!

With that being said, most other magazines typically create content that will drive the most traffic and create the most advertising revenue. They see it as dollars and sense, and nothing more. There's only so many TRs out there, and with a declining number as each days passes, where they're scrapped, wrecked, stolen, parted out, etc. it doesn't make sense to make them a large focal point to most publishers. GM Isn't building more of them, and Dynacorn isn't building reproduction bodies.

You'll see more restoration of these cars, as suppliers wake up and offer owners of the remaining examples the component they need, but its a niche market, and will forever be.

Last edited:
These cars gain more respect each year. I bracket/grudge race my car at my local track on the weekends...and unfortunately, I'm the only one with a TR. I get peppered with questions about the car...and when I roll into the lites...the cameras are out. Believe it or not, over the last two seasons I've had people walk up with pics of the car and ask me to autograph their pic. As far as the track is concerned...these cars are larger than life. Hell..it's been confirmed Darth Vader owns one.

thanks for the link , did not no about about it. I pull the Buick out of the garage today to go fill it up with 100% gasoline for the winter..
well it was about 55 degrees today ,an a clear mile stretch of hwy in front of me {you know I did it ?? } also got a couple of thumbs
up on the way back home. So the respect of our cars is still vibrant.

These cars gain more respect each year. I bracket/grudge race my car at my local track on the weekends...and unfortunately, I'm the only one with a TR. I get peppered with questions about the car...and when I roll into the lites...the cameras are out. Believe it or not, over the last two seasons I've had people walk up with pics of the car and ask me to autograph their pic. As far as the track is concerned...these cars are larger than life. Hell..it's been confirmed Darth Vader owns one.

http://www.thesoundarchive.com/starwars/swvader02.mp3

My car has pretty much been stashed away for 2 years. After reading this, I think I might debug it.

My car has pretty much been stashed away for 2 years. After reading this, I think I might debug it.

Not driving her, that is just freekin' silly.

What are you waiting on....... you sound as if putting miles on the car will somehow equate to avoiding putting the wood to your wife or current girlfriend.

Do you have some sort of weird obsession with saving the sweet pleasure of driving YOUR car like you hate it, just so the next guy can drive it even harder?????

Jus' askin'............:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: