Is the AMS-1000 the King of the Hill for boost controllers?

BlownZ

Doing some tentative research on boost controllers and it seems like the AMS-1000 is the cream of the crop....might be overkill for what I need but I like gadgets. Any competing products that are similar or better? Any word on what the AMS-2000 will feature for upgrades?

Thanks.

You will probably never use all the features in the 1000... I would wait just to see what is in the 2000.... To be honest the ISAC is being retooled to be an even better B/C... It is already comparable to the 500...

I'm using the 1000, with CO2. Shane is right, I run 2 stages, haven't even scratched the surface. I'm hoping to grow into it.. Especially when the stage engine is in. Springtime.. Phil.

I was thinking of this unit:
BL2011 5 Stage Boost Controller
5 stages and all time delayed. I know a guy running it and loves it. Very easy to use. It costs as much as an ams 500 too.

Shane, any info on what the isac will do and release date of the upgrades? I would consider that one too. The ams 1000 just seems overboard for what I need.
I don't run alky and never plan too, so I would be using just the boost controller if that's possible.

i have an ams100 and the only reason was because i couldnt fine an msbc1 :eek:

i actually run it in manifold mode...basic setup is wastegate so you dial in the amount of pressure you want at the gate. I jumped the boost channel from the aux channel (wich reads manifold press) so now i can dial in 23 psi and it will target 23 psi. I also set it up in gps mode wich uses a specific voltage to turn it on, so, i set it for 1.6 (i think) which is 0psi (from the map sensor) now when it sees that voltage it turnes on the controller. One stage to keep it simple. Works like a charm

IMG_1110.jpg

it also looks purdy :)

I was thinking of this unit:
BL2011 5 Stage Boost Controller
5 stages and all time delayed. I know a guy running it and loves it. Very easy to use. It costs as much as an ams 500 too.

Shane, any info on what the isac will do and release date of the upgrades? I would consider that one too. The ams 1000 just seems overboard for what I need.
I don't run alky and never plan too, so I would be using just the boost controller if that's possible.

There are a few other things it can do too! Maybe Bob Bailey will chime in with more info! It really is a nice unit!

i actually run it in manifold mode...basic setup is wastegate so you dial in the amount of pressure you want at the gate. I jumped the boost channel from the aux channel (wich reads manifold press) so now i can dial in 23 psi and it will target 23 psi. I also set it up in gps mode wich uses a specific voltage to turn it on, so, i set it for 1.6 (i think) which is 0psi (from the map sensor) now when it sees that voltage it turnes on the controller. One stage to keep it simple. Works like a charm

View attachment 148399

Very cool installation!

Very cool install! I was going to mount the AMS 1000 under the new switches where the radio was.

Now I am not even sure if I am going to use it.

Here is some info for conversation.....

Background....Fast XFI 2.0 with traction control, touch screen with data logging, MSD Digital 7 programmable and 7 series coil.

It was sent to me by the guy that wired my race car and will be helping me with the tuning.

On the plane I read the full AMS instructions. Sounds good with up to 6 different target boost settings all only used in the time based run with ramp settings for each. The fast has simple chart, drag line to where you want boost at any point in time. Same result to program boost profile, but way easier to program and make changes.

My biggest issue, is the AMS only has one activation feed and suggest using a throttle switch. I can easily use one of the fast aux outputs to active at say 70% throttle or higher number to activate. But the AMS only has one activation mode. Once activated it starts timer and the run. No pre launch boost control. The fast has 3 stages of activation. One for pre stage boost level. Then one target for staged on the trans brake for launch, and then the timed based run. Plus it all integrates all together wired off the brake peddle, and trans brake activation/deactivation to know if you are pre staging, staged to launch, or started the run. And it incorporates the trans crepe mode.

The AMS does not have one single feature more then the fast. It will requiring tuning boost using their data logging system instead of just the fast. And the fast has way more features with 3 boost modes as above, simple one program, one data log, and is a faster processing and reactions and safety overrides in the event of a failure. Furthermore, The fast also incorporates 3 rev limiters. Again one for pre stage, one for staged pre launch, and of course max rpm in the run. Even beyond this we can program a timing retard on the pre stage or staged mode to build boost faster or instant.

Compared to the old fast version no doubt AMS was the way to go.

I strongly suggest using only the fast. I know it is they way to go. We can always add the AMS later. The fast wiring will be there with sensors and solenoid so for an extra 1hr labor, I can even run wires to a connector behind the radio plate so the car wiring does not need to be modified if you add it in later.

Let me know what you guy's think?

Just read up on the controller at a vendor site. Does look pretty cool for a ecm car.

Does anyone have one of these installed? What chip?

I am in the market for a methanol injection system for my 87 turbo T.

Already have the AEM gauge and wideband.

My white car that I sold had a Razor Kit in it, a TT wideband chip and data logger and seemed to work very well.

View attachment 148399

Nice thing you did there. I ordered one too ( AMS1000 ). Where did you get that Box! I was thinking of installing it in place of the Radio. I thought it was not possible to target the actual Manifold Boost Pressure!! I mean program 20 psi in the Controller to get 20 in the Manifold..