Is it a GN? Is it a good deal?

jspeed86

I found a 1986 GN with 30K miles for $11995.00. I ran the VIN on CarFax to check it out, and it came back and said it was a 1986 T-type. This car looks really clean and has all the GN emblems, etc... I did the VIN decoder, and it says the T-type code (K), but I didn't see a GN code, or maybe I'm confused... lol... Anyway, I wanted to make sure this car was not painted up to look like a GN when it was actually a T-type. Here is the VIN code if anyone wants to take the time. Also, how is the price, like I said the car looks great, very clean in out, completely original. Thanks for any help!!! :) :D :)

VIN: 1G4GK4774GP456728

be careful..........

be careful of this car, this is a rebadged TType. I know my GN has an H where the g is in the vin number (the third G). Is the owner selling as a GN or a TType? The GN's of course are worth more, and the TTYpes of course are worth less. Is it stock, modified? For a gn with that amount of mileage and in good condition the price is anywhere from 14000-upwards of 20k.
Good Luck
Thanks
steve chambers

I think that VIN is right. Check to see if the build sheet is still inside the trunk lid-should show "WE2", which is the GN trim package on the Regal "T". The third "G" in the VIN is the model year- doesn't have anything to do with the body style. In 1986, that letter in position 10 would have been a "G", in 1987, it was an "H", and in 1988 it was a "J". A 1986 GN would be a GK47, with the WE2 package.
1G4 is Buick of USA
the next "G" is Regal
K is Regal Sport, or Somerset
47 is the 2dr notchback
7 is the turbo engine
4 is a check digit
G is 1986
P is the plant code.
the other numbers are the production sequence number
You could get a "T", which wasn't a GN, but you CAN'T have a GN which isn't a "T".

yeah, the piece of info you are looking for is in the trunk, white sticker on the bottom of the trunk lid, if it has WE2 in there....its a GN

WE2

You should see WE2 in the list of options on the RPO sticker in the trunk. My 86 GN states T-type on all regristration papers, insurance has it also as a Buick T Type high performance vehicle$$$$.

Originally posted by TylerDurden
yeah, the piece of info you are looking for is in the trunk, white sticker on the bottom of the trunk lid, if it has WE2 in there....its a GN

and isnt it possible for someone to put a GN decklid on it:confused:

What i would do is check and see what the regestration(sp) says

Thanks for the help. I will check for the WE2 on the trunk lid sticker. I'm guessing the price is about right, since no one really said anything about it. Of course it depends on the quality of the car too. :cool:

Also, if anybody can run a carfax, let me know what you find out. Thanks

Kirbans Book

1986 gn & t-type could start with three different codes 1g4gj 1g4gk or 1g4gm according to the Kirban book GM did not have a code in vin to differentiate from gn or turbo regal. It also states that 1986 eighth digit be a 9 for turbo t as well as gn for 87's it states the eighth didit be a 7 for gn or T's All this does is say your car in question could be a GN. we2 is for GN and it also states
vin should match from dash & trunk lid decal. I hope this is accurate and helds. The vin I beleive is also on the transmission
Kevin

Originally posted by ttypewe4jim
and isnt it possible for someone to put a GN decklid on it:confused:

What i would do is check and see what the regestration(sp) says
The RPO sticker has the vin # on it.

Check for correlation or discrepancies on the trim level and body style, etc. from the trim tag located above the wiper motor and just below the wipers themselves drivers side.

Metal tag has some good info. on there.

Should match what the VIN/RPO codes say anyway.

right but, with no RPO on the deck lid...there's no sure fire way to know.

Lots of reasons for the RPO to be gone...

One thing I look for are misplaced emblems. I couldn't tell you how many photos of GN's I've seen that claim to be "all original" but the emblem placement says different. Most people don't know EXACTLY where the emblems go. GM was very precise when they installed them on the fenders and trunk. This is a tell-tale giveaway something's amiss.

Thanks to Everybody, especially JFH. The CarFax tells the truth on this car. Also, the car is on a car lot in Nashville, TN and they are now listing the car on EBAY, so watch out. Someone should post about this car so the ebay seller doesn't pull a fast one on somebody. I would hate to see someone buy this car for the buy it now price of $11,900.... Thanks again for the help guys! I guess my search continues....:)