Is E85 a Good Idea for my Current Setup?

Cryptic

I’m at a crossroads. I just picked up a wideband O2 and a Powerlogger. I have stock heads and turbo but am about to drop in the Racetronix 255LPH pump with hanger and have been running 60lb injectors.

E85 is readily available in my area so I don’t plan on doing alky. Long term I plan on doing a major fuel upgrade with new lines, hanger, pump upgrade and filter as well as bigger injectors and probably the ecuGN.

In the meantime, with my above setup and stock lines does it make sense to have my new chip for the WB burned for E85?

I realize that with 60lb injectors I won’t be able to get a crazy amount of flow (30% more fuel needed for E85) and I am concerned about using stock lines.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that pump will be quite enough May need a 340 pump. I Had e85 chip and #60 injectors with a TA49 turbo and I loved it. My injectors were maxed out at 85% so I had no more left.

I don't think that pump will be quite enough May need a 340 pump. I Had e85 chip and #60 injectors with a TA49 turbo and I loved it. My injectors were maxed out at 85% so I had no more left.

The only reason I didn’t go bigger on the pump is because I didn’t want to mess with upgrading a return line temporarily and my understanding is that this is the biggest pump I can go with safely running stock lines?

I’m open to suggestions.

I’m a little worried about that...took me a few days to get the courage to finally post ;)

Yeah, you know you'll get a lot of differing opinions on this subject. Some will have you draining your wallet on a state of the art fancy pants fuel system with 160lb injectors in no time (no, you don't need all of that right now) :)

Yeah, you know you'll get a lot of differing opinions on this subject. Some will have you draining your wallet on a state of the art fancy pants fuel system with 160lb injectors in no time (no, you don't need all of that right now) :)

I will do that eventually once I upgrade my turbo from stock I’m going to buy the “as much as I could ever need” fuel system. Right now I’m trying to do a solid replacement for the 18 year old pump and OEM hanger to make sure I don’t blow things up.

Be sure to keep the timing conservative on E.

I was planning on using whatever timing Eric programmed into the chip. Unless you think I should dial the timing back further?

Eric has it all worked out in his chips, you should be fine. I only mentioned it because some will have a tendency to try and increase the timing on E85, which is a mistake in my opinion.

60# injectors with the stock lines and the stock turbo are what I ran for years, but I did have a 340lph pump. The 255 won't be enough.

If you do anything else, cam, turbo, whatever, It'll be lines, monster pump, and injectors time. So don't get greedy. E85 for your configuration is insurance against bad gas, not a reason to turn up the boost and go all crazy.

Eric has it all worked out in his chips, you should be fine. I only mentioned it because some will have a tendency to try and increase the timing on E85, which is a mistake in my opinion.

Okay, that’s more or less what I figured.

60# injectors with the stock lines and the stock turbo are what I ran for years, but I did have a 340lph pump. The 255 won't be enough.

If you do anything else, cam, turbo, whatever, It'll be lines, monster pump, and injectors time. So don't get greedy. E85 for your configuration is insurance against bad gas, not a reason to turn up the boost and go all crazy.

I’ve read that 255LPH is the biggest you can run with stock lines which is why I went that route?

That was more or less my plan. My next performance upgrade will be turbo at which point I’ll do lines, pump and injectors. I want to be able to turn the boost up just a little and not worry about knock.

I’ve read that 255LPH is the biggest you can run with stock lines which is why I went that route?

That was more or less my plan. My next performance upgrade will be turbo at which point I’ll do lines, pump and injectors. I want to be able to turn the boost up just a little and not worry about knock.

Doh, you're right.

Walbro 340 model is a 255lph pump. My bad. You're right. I had the model number and the flow rate mixed up.

Using 60# injectors, you max out right a 339hp, which would take 174lph @ 63psi running 20psi of boost. So a 255 is plenty.

Doh, you're right.

Walbro 340 model is a 255lph pump. My bad. You're right. I had the model number and the flow rate mixed up.

Using 60# injectors, you max out right a 339hp, which would take 174lph @ 63psi running 20psi of boost. So a 255 is plenty.

No worries! You’d think that the 340 would be 340lph...

Thank you!

You can use stock lines, just be prepared for fuel leaks when your factory lines start leaking when they melt. If you don't wanna have this problem I'd recommend Teflon lines, and maybe look at 79lb fuel injectors. I think they say for e85 you need a mimimun of 65lbs, that's cool if you plan on doing minimum driving, but my thing is, if you're going to go thru the trouble to change or convert your fuel over, or go bigger Turbo or what ever...Just plan on doing it right the first time. It's funny, I just repaired a car a couple weeks ago from a fuel leak, the rubber hoses kinda melted and they were runng regular gas, but regular gas is now e10 to e15, so for e85...For my car I went Teflon. The same thing goes for Window Tint...Never use the blue stuff or anything with ammonia in it unless you want to see a bunch bubbles in your windows, just in case you ever wanted to what causes that.