Is Check Valve Needed In Diy System?

PaulRV6

Just reading over the article on Stevmon's DIY site and it mentions about starting out with a check valve and then removing it later.
What is everyone else doing, using one or not? Which one and where is best place for it if so? Thanks

paul

I use one about a foot after the overflow tank reservoir before the pump. Whether you can get away without one, I'm not sure. Can't hurt to have it. I get mine at the junkyard.

Red Regal, what do I look for at the junkyard? Not sure what type/kind is being used? I would rather just put one in, Thanks

paul

You can get a check valve for 1/4" line from 86 thru 88, Buick or Olds full size front drive. Separate the windshield washer reservoir from overflow reservoir and you'll find the windshield washer pump connected to a gray and black check valve. I'm using a 5/16" line and I use a larger check valve connected to, and located near, the cruise control unit under the hood on late 80s Ford Aerostar vans. ;)

Stevemon, is the CV you listed for a 5/16" line? That is what I am planning for between the pump/reservoir? Don't want to have a restriction there.

Where do you guys mount the HOBBS switch? Do I need to make a bracket?

Thanks for all the help.

paul

Hey Paul, here is an idea for the hobbs switch. You don't need to mount it, but check out the 'project boxes' at Radio shack. Plastic, and in various sizes they can be drilled out for the wiring and hoses you need to enter it. I use RTV to attach the Hobbs to the bottom of the box. Once you have finished tuning, the lid can be screwed back on.

Makes for a nice looking job. Cost 2 bucks for the one you want..:)

Turbo Tim, sounds like a neat idea, where do you then mount the box?

Stevemon, sounds like I better look for a different CV since I am using 5/16" hose on the reservoir.

Thanks for the tips!!

paul