Internal wastegate vs external

ShaunDonWe2

Who and how many people in the 9's with internal waste gate setup? I know people go to external for better control and spool up of boost but, with a bigger puck in my downpipe can my internal be just as spontaneous as an external set up

While an internal can and has been run in the 9's it will not compare with a properly set up and controlled external gate.
Mike

I ran in the 8's with an internal gate. The large puck is not needed unless you are running too much turbo with not enough engine. I had no boost control issues.
I am now running an external gate controlled by CO2. The CO2 holds the gate closed until it hits the desired boost, which helps the boost peak faster.

Who and how many people in the 9's with internal waste gate setup? I know people go to external for better control and spool up of boost but, with a bigger puck in my downpipe can my internal be just as spontaneous as an external set up

Sorry, but this is one of those inane questions that cannot be answered since you did not post any criteria about your plan of what you want to actually accomplish, and what do you mean by "spontaneous" as applied to waste gate control?

Are you just going to the track to play and run a number, or is this a competitive race car?

Most 9 sec. and better GN's we do are for competition and this requires precise, accurate and instantaneous boost control as well as different boost settings for launch and down track targets. You will need an external gate and electronic controller to accomplish this if you want to win races against big-block "mountain" motors! :)

I ran in the 8's with an internal gate. The large puck is not needed unless you are running too much turbo with not enough engine. I had no boost control issues.
I am now running an external gate controlled by CO2. The CO2 holds the gate closed until it hits the desired boost, which helps the boost peak faster.
And with the 8 SEC Internal set up could you go down to say 18PSI like most guys want to do?

And with the 8 SEC Internal set up could you go down to say 18PSI like most guys want to do?
There was so much back pressure pushing on the puck getting boost up was the issue. But my engine could take all the air I could throw at it. 18 psi with a high boost actuator was no problem. Anything over 26 was the challenge.

Depends on what you are after.... if you don't plan to launch at the same boost every time.... and at WOT.......and you are more of a hobby racer/street car guy.... internal will work okay. If you want to launch at 10 psi (or any boost you select) every time..... without worring about it...... then an internal gate is much easier to pull this off with.

Either setup takes proper setting up and tweaking...... IMHO.... best way to control launch boost with an internal setup is by moderating the gas pedal during staging...... that's the only way to "stop" the boost from climbing in most cars....... (there are other ways to control launching, but it gets real complicated real quick)