Internal gate fitment issue?

Maverick87

Just received my T/A 3in down pipe. I was looking at the internal gate, and it hits the pipe as you can see in the picture. I compared it to the stock stuff, and it only moves about half of what the stock setup does. Are all the T/A down pipes like this, and will it cause boost control issues?

Attachments

• IMG_19951.jpg
    IMG_19951.jpg
    982.4 KB · Views: 182
Just received my T/A 3in down pipe. I was looking at the internal gate, and it hits the pipe as you can see in the picture. I compared it to the stock stuff, and it only moves about half of what the stock setup does. Are all the T/A down pipes like this, and will it cause boost control issues?

That gate will never open that far once installed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

And at most, the actuator might move an inch to 1.5".
No worries, you should be gtg.

When you're running a smaller turbo all in, like a stock turbo at 21-22 lbs. boost on alky or E85 or race gas, there will be no exhaust or very little going through the wastegate hole.
It's when you install a TA49 (TE44) and run 20 lbs. boost you will have a lot of exhaust going through the wastegate as it tries to maintain the low boost, but when you run 28 lbs. boost with the TA49 (TE44) on alky or E85 or race gas of course, there is more airflow going through the engine and less exhaust that needs to go through the wastegate hole.

Larger turbos at low boost levels are worse.

Also note worthy, as engine rpm increases the engine produces more exhaust and in some cases the wastegate hole isn't large enough to let enough exhaust out to maintain the lower boost levels which causes "boost creep".

This is why it's so important to size the turbo for the airflow capabilities of the engine and intended boost levels.

Bigger is not faster, especially when talking about turbos only.

I fell into this trap in the early '90's and thanks to this forum I've learned a lot and am getting things figured out.