Interesting ammo conversation

Dabigguy

Pompous azz
I went to a local gun shop looking for a new toy and some ammo, only to find the shelves bare of handgun ammo. I asked what was up and was told that Winchester and Federal were not taking any more orders or shipping anything until the end of the year.....it's freakin MAY !!!!! No one from the mfg. could/would tell them when or why there was such a delay.

I was also told that the mfg of handguns could not test fire their guns, as required, before shipping. No ammo, no test fire. No test fire, so gun sales. Has our govt. delt us a raw deal????

Yeah, the crap is gonna hit the fan sooner or later. The gov. is going way over the line to "protect" us:rolleyes:

And you guys wonder why I moved back to TEXAS? My stash isn't complete but I have enough for the moment.

The simple question is to find out WHY the ammo companies quit taking orders...

Did the Gov stop them? Give them incentives? Or could they be just that are backed up from where millions tried to stock up in the last 8 mnths?

This is very serious... They firgured out there is more than one way to skin a cat:mad:

No one will say why there is no ammo. One ammo rep told my gun shop that he'd been in the business for 25 years and never seen anything like this.

I can see mfg. getting swamped, but there should be some ammo trickling thru the pipeline. I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but do you think Obama or Holder has anything to do with the shortage?

No one will say why there is no ammo. One ammo rep told my gun shop that he'd been in the business for 25 years and never seen anything like this.

I can see mfg. getting swamped, but there should be some ammo trickling thru the pipeline. I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but do you think Obama or Holder has anything to do with the shortage?

I agree something is fishy...

Easy, no ammo, guns have to be used as clubs or beaten into plough shares!!
Even here in Idaho it is hard to find ammo, but most folks here have more than enough to last a long time, alot of hunters and shooters here.

Ron

Right now, it is very dificult to get ammo in FL. I had to resort to having a case delivered to me in BG from another state :frown: I certainly won't be going to the gun range as often as I would like.

I predicted this long ago when they agreed with the UN to stop importing surplus ammo.

I got my 8mm when I could but now wish I had got 10x. It was $.06/round. I figured I could always get more. It sold out fast.. :eek:

Now I could use some 9mm...

Right now, it is very dificult to get ammo in FL. I had to resort to having a case delivered to me in BG from another state :frown: I certainly won't be going to the gun range as often as I would like.

Anyone coming back through NC? I need a case too:biggrin:

I work for the largest premium outdoor retailer..........and we basically have no ammo on the shelves right now.

Isn't Federal->Winchester? I'd heard a while back that they were completing the move to all offshore mfg. This could easily be the reason for their delay in production. Is this long failure to produce in such a spectacular market as they have now verified? My question is, where's alla the Remington? They have no excuse! The only thing I've seen in the past couple months outa Them is unprimed virgin brass. Somebody somewhere should be getting some Rem, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all as I've heard. Just the same I think we all need to be a little understanding as I also heard that ammunition sold to date in '09 has surpassed both '07-'08 COMBINED!!!! Not sure to believe that, as likely as it sounds, cuz it's obviously NOT on the market. NObody lists it online. and they won't take backorder's because the mfg's won't guarantee a shipped price when they DO get it. I'm glad I'm stocked up on everything necessary:D But sad and true I don't shoot so much now either. I don't EVEN look forward to running low, as sm. pistol primer's when and where available had gone from $20/1,000 to $60/1,000 last week, and I now hear something in the wind. As this week they're supposedly going thru seconhand seller's for $100:eek: :eek: Doesn't look like any stores are gonna have any, anytime soon!:( Hope yer all set to hunker down, cuz if ya aint got, ya probly aint got the money to get it. And if ya do, ya shoulda been smart enough to move sooner!:D

There is some floating out there at the WalMarts. A buddy of mine got over a 1000 rds combined of 9's, .380's, and 40's the other day:eek: The cashiers say everything gets gone in 24hrs of delivery:eek:

As I am no longer currently active in the shooting hobby, just a question, but could the ammunition manufacturers be doing this themselves intentionally to increase value of ammo, thereby increasing the price of ammo? Just a thought. Otherwise, if this is not financially driven I do not see the ammo makers bowing to the government at the cost of profit?

i nolonger have my 9. i've probably got about 30 or so boxes of 9mm winchester. i'd gladly swap it for 380 ammo or sell for sticker price

make a group buy

Its simple. Obama was voted gun salesman of the year. Sales were up 25% in Oct and 38% in Nov. My store has not seen any mini 9mm handguns like Kel-Tec in six months. These new owners want ammo. One man asked what we had in handgun ammo and sold him $7294.xx which was what was left on the shelf.

In order for us to get any BIG orders, we must order a train car of ammo. That is about 280,000 pounds of it. That is not as much as you think if you do the math. You never see more than four rolls of sheet steel on a 18 wheeler because of the weight.

There is no conspiracy. There are wars everywhere. BAFTE orders trainloads to train their agents. Homeland Security is same with bigger pockets. Army etc. gets more sub guns like 9mm NATO, 45 ACP because of the lesser over penetration issues with the legal problems A 1000 round training day is business as usual.

I've got two local shops with 12'+ cases of handguns. Springfield, S&W, Ruger, Taurus, sometimes Glock... Cases change every week, nuthin stays long but the cases never go empty. Alotta people seem content to get just the $1rd. home defense stuff. Not real shooter's to begin with. But isn't .380 about the only thing that's still hardly showing up at all? The one store just got a ton of .40 in. He's been hugely over-ordering to get anything at all. Sometimes it comes to bite! Rifle ammo is avail in Federal everywhere right now too. CDNN is advertising 308 and 223 on their new cat's. cover fairly reasonable.

Sounds kinda fishy, like the govt is hoarding trainloads to keep production out of public hands.

You'd think the mfgs could invest in new tooling with the increased prices and demand. It'd pay off so quick in this market that they could mothball it paid in full when demand subsides.

I wonder if i could have them made in China, now there is a good idea to make some fast money right now.. ;)

May not be a conspiracy, but sure as hell sounds like one. Interestingly enough, all of the heavy players, or biggest orderers of ammo, are under government control or just an extension of Uncle Sam.

Just to let you all know that the 223 from winchester is not made here in the states it is made in france. So with that said where is the money going? Not in the usa's back pocket. Lets suport France!:rolleyes: The country that fights like a wet noodle.