Intercooler

Howling Mad

Wondering what kind of intercooler the autocross guys were running. I've been slowly getting away from drag racing and more into mountain/ canyon driving and autocross. I've been considering switching to a SLIC over a front mount to reduce pipe volume and hopefully reduce lag. Also imnot sure that my combo really needs a FM over a stretched SLIC (206/212 cam, champion irons, 6262 turbo, E85). So I was just curious what the more experienced autocross guys (and gals) were doing. Thanks!

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Donations
$25.00
Turbo6inKY has been very successful running the 23 row GN1 SLIC, unless he’s changed it again.

I’m not having luck attaching his info.
This is what he has in his signature.

Yes, that's what I'm still running.

I don't recommend a front mount for autocross or track use because the space in front of the radiator needs to be used for a transmission, oil, and power steering cooler. After you fill that area with those, you can't get a front mount in.

The other advantage is the stock mount pulls air from beneath the radiator, not in front of it. The disadvantage is that scoop packs the air into the engine bay, and the mounting system wasn't really intended to hold that thing under a 1+ lateral G load. You have to make sure it's very securely mounted or it'll do stuff like flop into the crank fan (which you want to keep).

Does it work? Yes, well enough:

1638720101805.png

White trace in the center chart is my manifold air temperature. I have my sensor plumbed into the intake plenum, so these are post-turbo temps inside the manifold. This is a good portion of a lap at NCM. A full throttle blast down the straights sees the intake temp hit 152F, but it drops quickly once I'm out of the gas. Average intake temperature is 124, and in the twisty bits where I'm not 100% in the throttle, it's 102. It was in the mid 80s ambient this particular day. The front straight at NCM is 2200 feet long, and it takes me 9.4 seconds to cover it at WOT with 20psi of boost. That's about as abusive at it gets and the temps only made it to 152. Autocrossing you won't see anything like that kind of duration, so a stock location intercooler is going to be plenty.

Howling Mad

Yes, that's what I'm still running.

I don't recommend a front mount for autocross or track use because the space in front of the radiator needs to be used for a transmission, oil, and power steering cooler. After you fill that area with those, you can't get a front mount in.

The other advantage is the stock mount pulls air from beneath the radiator, not in front of it. The disadvantage is that scoop packs the air into the engine bay, and the mounting system wasn't really intended to hold that thing under a 1+ lateral G load. You have to make sure it's very securely mounted or it'll do stuff like flop into the crank fan (which you want to keep).

Does it work? Yes, well enough:

View attachment 371754

White trace in the center chart is my manifold air temperature. I have my sensor plumbed into the intake plenum, so these are post-turbo temps inside the manifold. This is a good portion of a lap at NCM. A full throttle blast down the straights sees the intake temp hit 152F, but it drops quickly once I'm out of the gas. Average intake temperature is 124, and in the twisty bits where I'm not 100% in the throttle, it's 102. It was in the mid 80s ambient this particular day. The front straight at NCM is 2200 feet long, and it takes me 9.4 seconds to cover it at WOT with 20psi of boost. That's about as abusive at it gets and the temps only made it to 152. Autocrossing you won't see anything like that kind of duration, so a stock location intercooler is going to be plenty.
Any insight on mounting? Did you just weld some supports on to make it more rigid or did you completely remake them? Also, di you add fender vents to evacuate the air from the engine bay? Thank you for the information. Very insightful.

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
Donations
$25.00
Any insight on mounting? Did you just weld some supports on to make it more rigid or did you completely remake them? Also, di you add fender vents to evacuate the air from the engine bay? Thank you for the information. Very insightful.
I made sure the brackets are tight. The locations at the bottom of the timing cover persistently loosen themselves, so it's a regular maintenance item to check those. I had to re-drill the driver side bracket to get the IC to sit square, and then sturdy couplers and t-bolt clamps on the charge piping. Then grab it and try to make it move. It's actually held in place by the pipe couplers, with the coupler on the turbo outlet managing most of the load. Keep the j-bracket that bolts to the front of the block, otherwise the exhaust manifold gets to hold not just the turbo, but most of the intercooler's weight. The brackets, especially the passenger side one, are basically there to locate it. The charge couplers are what's fighting gravity to hold it up. If something doesn't line up, it's usually the up-pip to the throttle. I had to lengthen mine due to my plenum spacer. Since then, It's been good enough.

A new mount system that attaches to the core support and eliminates the block-mount brackets would be nice, but I haven't gotten around to it, and there'd be complications with the couplers if the IC suddenly stopped moving with the engine.

Fender vents won't work as well as a hood vent, I actually measured it:

I haven't been able to get my hands on a glass hood to install vents in yet. I'm not going to cut the OE hood.

Howling Mad

I made sure the brackets are tight. The locations at the bottom of the timing cover persistently loosen themselves, so it's a regular maintenance item to check those. I had to re-drill the driver side bracket to get the IC to sit square, and then sturdy couplers and t-bolt clamps on the charge piping. Then grab it and try to make it move. It's actually held in place by the pipe couplers, with the coupler on the turbo outlet managing most of the load. Keep the j-bracket that bolts to the front of the block, otherwise the exhaust manifold gets to hold not just the turbo, but most of the intercooler's weight. The brackets, especially the passenger side one, are basically there to locate it. The charge couplers are what's fighting gravity to hold it up. If something doesn't line up, it's usually the up-pip to the throttle. I had to lengthen mine due to my plenum spacer. Since then, It's been good enough.

A new mount system that attaches to the core support and eliminates the block-mount brackets would be nice, but I haven't gotten around to it, and there'd be complications with the couplers if the IC suddenly stopped moving with the engine.

Fender vents won't work as well as a hood vent, I actually measured it:

I haven't been able to get my hands on a glass hood to install vents in yet. I'm not going to cut the OE hood.
I definitely appreciate the information and the testing. Definitely going to be a big help.

Remove Ads From TurboBuick.Com

Yearly amount needed to remove ads from TurboBuick.Com
Goal
$12,000.00
Received
$2,246.00