Intercooler idea...

mike85gn

Get Bent!
So now I have an intake manifold with ported runners and a stock intercooler.

I was thinking about doing an EGR blockoff as the EGR is plugged solid.

I will be removing the necks on the intercooler and doing a "big neck" conversion (of sorts).

The intercooler will be mounted upside down right behind the grill, front-mount style.

I will be switching to an electric fan and larger V8-style rad to make room for the piping.

The turbo will be reclocked but kept in the same location, as will the throttle body.

Should I run the return piping from the intercooler into the back of the intake (stock location), or should I modify the intake (remove the raised heatsink-looking front-top portion and replace it with a flat low profile plate) to allow for a front entry and block off the stock location?

I have heard of people removing the bottom of the intake, hollowing out the internals, and then welding on a plate to seal it back up. Good idea or no?

What are everyone's thoughts?

About the gutting of the intake, I don't know if it's worth the time or the money. Most of the gains are in the runners. I gutted mine and it felt like there was a small difference more on the top end but I have no track times to prove it. I cut the top off since it's an easy cut and can be done with a hacksaw if you're good. When the time comes to weld it back up it's also easier and cheaper than doing the bottom. I made the initial cut 1/2" low and it made a lot of difference in turbo clearance.

The easiest thing would be to run the plumbing to the back of the intake. Contrary to popular belief, the extra length makes no difference in lag.

I'm curious as to why you don't want to move the TB to the pressure side? You won't be happy with throttle response until you do.