Intake won't seal: vacuum check valve questions

meenkeene518

Hello,

Ive had a mechanic build a motor for my 86 GN, and everything's been going well. i have 2 questions:
1. what is the proper way to install the intake manifold? he has been having trouble sealing it. the first time it leaked air on the right side, got that fixed then it leaked water big time on the left side. what's the deal with that?
2. apparently my car is missing all 4 of the check vales o that apparently required on the car. does anyone have the AC delco part numbers for these and where they go? what can these missing check vavles be doing to my car as well.

Thanks guys for any help!!:smile:

Glen at NOS4GN should have those or Brian at GBody Parts has them. Diagrams at GNTTYPE.org where they go. As for sealing the intake there are lots of threads about it. Do a search.
Basically, you need RTV on the end rail corners with supplied rubbers (I prefer the Right Stuff in the caulking style tube) You need to check fitment if you did headwork & decked them or the block, also I like spray copper on the stock gasket. Do a search & there will be many answers. Also, GNTTYPE.org should have articles about it as well. Thats our Bible from the early days. Another site that may help is vortexbuicks-etc.com

yea the intake had a corrosion bump on it that he missed it got machined off and all is good. thanks for the info and help!!

without the check valves, boost is being allowed to go places it shouldn't :eek: ......... hence, you are pressurizing components that weren't designed to be subject to boost.

bw jones