Intake manifold powdercoating question

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
Is there anyone here who has had a Champion Intake manifold + plenum powdercoated? :unsure:I'm having my car restores right now and was wondering if it would be a good idea since raw aluminum tarnishes and is hard to keep clean. I've had an Big Block Chevrolet Edelbrock "Victor" manifold done a few years ago and it still looks fine , but I don't recall seeing a Buick V6 intake done. I'd probably go with a shiny silver finish...

Thanks,

Claude. :)

Hi Claude,

the heat from powdercoating process changes the properties of the aluminum - the casting is "softer" post baking the powder. therefore any machining done post powder coating does not exactly produce a fine finish.

Steve Monroe (throttlebodys.com) discusses this on his webpage:

http://throttlebodys.com/Buick_GN.htm

it is for these reasons I would choose to glassbead the aluminum parts and finish with an "aluminum" spray and clearcoat (if desired). and be sure to wash out the parts with water once media blasting is done as media does not clean out with just compressed air.

If you glass bead do the triple rinse as stated with a brush if possible. Then put it in the wife's dish washer( make sure she isn't home) This will clean the pores. It actually comes out a darker grey. Spray paint works and if you ever change your mind, powdercoat is a pain to remove.

mine is powder coated black and has been for 10+years,no issues at all,and i dont clean it at all ;)car is raced heavily

Is there anyone here who has had a Champion Intake manifold + plenum powdercoated? :unsure:I'm having my car restores right now and was wondering if it would be a good idea since raw aluminum tarnishes and is hard to keep clean. I've had an Big Block Chevrolet Edelbrock "Victor" manifold done a few years ago and it still looks fine , but I don't recall seeing a Buick V6 intake done. I'd probably go with a shiny silver finish...

Thanks,

Claude. :)

9dbde959336b0d86ce36fda20432e62e.jpg

Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intake Manifolds
Intakes are coated on the bottom with the oil-shedding coating to cut thermal transfer from the oil to the intake charge. The outside surface of intake manifolds can either be coated with our Cermachrome-polished aluminum look or, if extreme heat is a problem, our thermal dispersant coating. We also offer a Satin Silver finish to the exterior of intake manifolds for a “fresh aluminum” finish. The coating will withstand gas and oil without staining.

Make sure to put dedicated ground strap to the ignition module if you power coat the manifold. The last thing you want is a screwy running condition and can't figure it out because ''all the bolts are nice and tight''.

Mine is Vapor Dep coated. It has lasted several years. Not sure if there is any temp changes in this process. It was done as a swap for some parts I built for a friend. Front cover, oil pump, and power steering pump are done the same.
INTAKE.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1396391075.941280.jpg
20140401_190210.jpg

Mine is Vapor Dep coated. It has lasted several years. Not sure if there is any temp changes in this process. It was done as a swap for some parts I built for a friend. Front cover, oil pump, and power steering pump are done the same. View attachment 346979View attachment 346980View attachment 346981
Claude, you need to do this!

Coach and I swapped talk on this in another thread a few months back. My intake is hand polished to perfection. But it is a pain in the ass to maintain. Especially difficult when all the accessories are bolted to it (fuel rail, throttle linkage, vacuum tubing, etc.) I insist on keeping it looking nice and this requires thorough drying after a wash, getting between all the stuff with my fingers and a wood stick with towels taped to them to rub and polish all the surfaces. It sucks. But I insist on it looking good.

But this looks outstanding!!! And must be a hell of a lot easier to maintain! I'm guessing there was still some sanding and rubbing to prep some of the surfaces smooth before it was coated. And of course, nothing is going to clean it's self. But at least your not rubbing all the little crevices with polish and trying to remove tarnish!

Coach, tell us more.

Go with the coating. Sorry for the twisted photo...[emoji57]
d89ca2f95a33babc4d070cbda6a75fb0.jpg
a4380b3b0af7b67c129ed7d754b99637.jpg
334ef702219072cbc0d22cbc3599b45d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk