Insuarance

510TURBO

ALKYHOLIC
Which One It The Best In The Bay For Cars Like Our's? And Whats The Coverage And Monthly? Thanks

Comprehensive runs me about $700 year thru AAA on the T Type (valued around $12K). My Monte Carlo I have insured thru Grundy at $15k value, with all the same coverage only runs $125 a year. Just can't drive it to the store, work etc. Car shows, pleasure rides, cruises are ok.
The insurance company will know what kind of car it is when they type in the vin and you shouldn't get some low rate based on a regualr Regal. Unfortunately your rates will be higher.

Comprehensive runs me about $700 year thru AAA on the T Type (valued around $12K). My Monte Carlo I have insured thru Grundy at $15k value, with all the same coverage only runs $125 a year. Just can't drive it to the store, work etc. Car shows, pleasure rides, cruises are ok.
The insurance company will know what kind of car it is when they type in the vin and you shouldn't get some low rate based on a regualr Regal. Unfortunately your rates will be higher.

Perhaps Grundy would know what it is but its been my experience that a lot of standard insurance companies (progressive, geico, etc) will not know anything based upon the vin. In fact I had to argue with Geico about getting comprehensive. They couldn't understand why somebody would want comprehensive on a domestic car from the 80's. I had them research the values and basically asked what I would get if the car was stolen. They needed to inspect it in person but then they told me that since it was an actual GN the value was 4 times more then if it was a Turbo T. We all know this is bs...but at least for Geico unless it is an actual GN (no clone) then don't bother. One thing progressive has though is accessory add-on policy. So they might say your T is worth 4.5k but then they'll let you add on 5k more for aftermarket turbo, gauges, stereo, intercooler, etc bringing the total value to 9.5k. Something to consider

California Collector Car Insurance thru Unity, FULL coverage for 200 a year. Not bad for a 25 year old in 94110. I like that theres no deductable not even for glass. They just wana have it inspected and documented, and you gotta pay for a whole year, no monthlys. Got mine apraised at 6k before i ever even washed it!!

Perhaps Grundy would know what it is but its been my experience that a lot of standard insurance companies (progressive, geico, etc) will not know anything based upon the vin. In fact I had to argue with Geico about getting comprehensive. They couldn't understand why somebody would want comprehensive on a domestic car from the 80's. I had them research the values and basically asked what I would get if the car was stolen. They needed to inspect it in person but then they told me that since it was an actual GN the value was 4 times more then if it was a Turbo T. We all know this is bs...but at least for Geico unless it is an actual GN (no clone) then don't bother. One thing progressive has though is accessory add-on policy. So they might say your T is worth 4.5k but then they'll let you add on 5k more for aftermarket turbo, gauges, stereo, intercooler, etc bringing the total value to 9.5k. Something to consider

I actually talked to my rep who sells me insurance and he said it came up as a T Type, verified the engine and noted the value was higher than a regular Regal. He is by no means a car guy, he just went by what his computer was telling him. Regarding that I called around and talked to State Farm, Geico, Farmers, etc and they all asked for the vin and verified that it would cost more than a reg. Regal as the value was higher.

That being said, I went this route with this car because I do drive it as a daily and wanted the full coverage, less hassle coverage if anything should happen.

Some hot rod friends of mine gave me the advice of if you drive it as a collector car then get collector insurance, if you drive it as a daily then get regular insurance and coverage that fits you. If you get cheap insurance, expect cheap, spotty coverage.

Ironically, the guy who sold me my insurance on my stolen Cutlass noticed I should have upgraded as I only had liability on it before I painted it. He suggested comprehensive. Now when the car was stolen, the problem was that I didn't have an appraisal so was paying rates on a regular $2k-$4k Cutlass, cheap, but made for a fight with the insurance co.

i have AAA and they valued my car at "over 9000" with crappy paint and i pay $135/mo. its getting painted right now so i hope the value goes up. anybody know where i can get my car appraised after its done being painted?

So this is an old post but I have some useful info to add. So I have my Typhoon insured with GEICO and also had my last GN insured with them as well. With the last GN they agreed it was worth more than a typical 87 Regal and had me take it to a claims center to be evaluated. Then they said it would be covered collision/comprehensive but wouldn't give me an exact number just saying that they use NADA and other tools to assess the value should it be totaled or stolen.
Now the GN is gone and I went to add the T. The rep I spoke with said the T is worth $700 because the Kelly Blue Book only goes to 1989 and that's what they value it at. I explained the NADA value and the fact that I had my GN insured with them only 6 months ago! He said they don't use NADA value anymore and only use KBB. If your car isn't on KBB they round to the nearest year. He said I would have to use collector insurance but that doesn't work for me. Yes I have a garage but I like to drive whenever/wherever I feel like and would pay the additional dollars to have that protection. I began to call around to various insurance companies and finally got a good answer from The Hartford. They told me that my T would have a stated value of $16,500 and the value would not change or depreciate. They said I could drive it just like any other car with absolutely no restrictions. This is with a $500 comprehensive deductible and $1000 collision deductible. They said it didn't matter about being garaged or not. So here is a comparison between GEICO and The Hartford.

Both policies done with $500 deductible comprehensive and $1000 Collision. Both policies with Bodily Injury Liability $50,000/$100,000
Property Damage Liability $100,000
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury $100,000
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage $100,000

Both are also with Emergency Roadside assistance and both include myself and my girlfriend on the policy.

For Complete Coverage on the T and the Typhoon, The Hartford wants $696 every 6 months in my area (right outside Washington DC)

For complete coverage on the Typhoon but only $700 worth of coverage on the T, GEICO wants $433.85 for every 6 months.

So for many people the collectors insurance works because they only cruise around on weekends. One company told me I could park if I had to run into the post office and mail a letter but forget leaving it parked while I go in a grocery store. Yes you can try and bs them but they don't want to pay and would love to find a loophole to screw you. Plus you also risk being charge with insurance fraud. For me and my purposes I want full coverage all the time. I might not daily drive the car but want to be able to should the need arise.
Hope this info is helpful to others who are in my situation.

i have AAA and full coverage. i pay about 125 a month and my decutable is $250 and $500 depending on what happened to it. back in 04 i painted my car, and the insurance said my car is worth about $10000 if it got totalled out. kinda of sucks cause i put over 60000 into it over the years, but that why i bought lojack