Instrument lights

86 GN DDR

I went for a night drive and noticed that the instrument cluster lights are out. My tach and boost gauge work. Shift light indicator light works. Radio and cigarette lighter works. I checked the 5 amp Inst lmp fuse. All is good. Could the instrument bulbs have gone out?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This happened to me before and it was my dimmer switch was going bad. I tapped it and the lights came back on.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

It's probably the dimmer switch. There's more than one light back there and it's unlikely that they all die at once.

Since the Shift light indicator light works, that means that the INST LP Fuse and dimmer switch are OK. Double check that the shift indicator lamp brightness can be controlled by the dimmer switch. This is to verify that it hasn't be re-wired at some time in the past.

If the shift indicator follows the dimmer, then the instrument panel illumination not working is likely due to the connector to flex panel interface. Try pressing on the edges of the instrument panel with the parking lights on. See if the illumination comes & goes.

RemoveBeforeFlight