Installing the Remote Keyless Entry

vader87

Protected Freedom for 27 years! Thank a Veteran!
Some may have already seen this:

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=975362#Post975362

Created by -Jesse

I take NO CREDIT OR RESPONSIBILITY for this DIY!

I had more luck finding them in the Luma than in the Monte Carlo.

You can find these in:

1997-2001 Lumina
1997-2001 Monte Carlo

The location is under the cloth of the hat rack on the passenger side. So yes you will need to pull up the hat rack cover to see if it is there. There will also be some insulation under the cloth so it too will need to be pulled. It is very easy on the Luminas. NOT ALL will have it. It will look like this:
image.jpg

I personally mounted mine behind the glove box as I do not have A/C so I had plenty of room. It is very simple to connect, just follow the directions from the link above.

Quick wiring:
USED:

Light Green Wire: Constant 12 volt supply
Orange Wire: Constant 12 volt supply
Black Wire: ground
Grey Wire: splice into the trunk release actuator(if applicable).
Tan Wire: left door lock actuator wire near door lock relay(see link for special connection)
White Wire: splice into the UNLOCK black wire at the door lock relay
Light blue wire: splice into the LOCK light blue wire at the door lock relay
***1st Black wire with a white tracer: This one is NOT on the end of the connector. It is located on one of the inside pins. It is used to program your system.

NOT USED:
***2nd Black Wire, White tracer: Ignore this wire. This one IS Located on the end of the connector. The factory system uses this to operate the power trunk from the interior button. Ours will still work regardless.
Dark Blue wire: Ignore. All this wire does is turn on the dome lamp for a period of time when you press the unlock button.
Pink wire: Ignore this wire. This is an ignition wire I think the factory uses to disable RKE while the ignition is on and shut off the dome lamp.

Last edited:
Wjy not buy a aftermarket name brand like a DEI unit?
Costs $75 new, anti theft, more features, and way longer range?

If I wanted to install a brand new DEI unit, then I would have and created a thread about it.

Hey, I'm just trying to help...don't you realize the OEM keyless will make it easier for the crooks to break into a car because they use the same frequency code so is easy to clone the frequency with new high tech devices crooks already have.aftermarket units roll codes it never use twice it's almost impossible to duplicate and break into also aftermarket keyless entry systems offer anti theft or starter or ignition kill making it harder to steal and there's no comparison to oem units... so forgive me for trying to help only have 30 years experience in this field ....

Yes you are the expert and I respect that! hell I have even asked you for help before. BUT this is in the "How To" section and I am only showing how to connect a "factory" RKE system. In no way have mentioned is has anything to do with security. it is a convenience ONLY. Door locks are a pain to open with key. Most of us have other ways of making our vehicles less likely to be stolen. If you want to get into these cars, just pull the window. I personally hate aftermarket alarms cause ALL can be beat and no one even looks when one is going off. I appreciate your opinion, but again, I took the time to make this thread to help others to be able to install the RKE if they decide to go that route.

Fair enough, I hate improperly installed alarms that gives false warnings also....please continue back on topic.

Factory security is an issue .if you arm and disarm with the keyfob the security will not be armed .If you arm with the lock switch and disarm with key fob you set the alarm off .any ideas???

Sorry I have no idea, I do not have a factory alarm.

I have a question for you guys who have hooked up this module. When I cut the tan wire going to the left door actuator and hook up the tan wire from the module, I don't have any lock or unlock on driver door. Please help.

Did you connect to the correct side of the relay?

I took the connector with the 2 tans and I cut the one going to driver side and connected the tan from the module to it. The wire I cut I left a lone just like the article said. I have no unlock or lock on driver door

Has anyone attempted to hook up the parking lights or horn for the lock / unlock feature? Wondering if it can be done using a relay.