installing DOS speedpro

Z

zach

I downloaded the DOS program and installed it, my speed pro computer can not respond to my laptop. This is what it says.

16 bIT MS-DOS SUBSYSTEM

cc.exe

The system cannot open com1 port requested by application.
Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

CLOSE IGNORE

Any ideas? It worked perfect with the windows version, I know the DOS program is perfect as well, but its not working.

Thanks, Zach:rolleyes:

I don't actually know the answer, but I have a suggestion: try booting into DOS instead of launching the program from the DOS prompt. This solved a similar COM port issue I had with a previous laptop that resulted from a bad Windows install.

Also, I seem to recall reading that the DOS program had some problems with COM ports that weren't "dedicated", e.g., the newer computers with COM ports that are mapped entirely by firmware. If you have one of these, you might want to try going into your laptop's firmware and seeing if you can permanently assign COM1 to the serial port.

Just some things to get you started until the real answer arrives...

Jeff

Mosk is right about booting from DOS.

I'm not laptop man so I had to dig around and find the spot where it asks you where you want to boot from. Then when it boots, you choose "latest version MS DOS".

When I do this, I can never sync right up. I have to exit CCom and try it again. I can't get com1 to work, my craptop has com2 assigned to the serial port so I have to use the "cc com2" command to get communication.

I have windows 2000 professional, I just found out that it does not support DOS based programs, I am gonna have to wait for the windows version. Anyone know how much longer its gonna be?

It's currently shipping -- $25, plus shipping. Contact the folks you got your SP from. If they don't have it, have them contact Lance and Craig. Or you can order it from some place like http://www.precisionte.com

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I keep calling the guy who sold me the speed pro and keeps saying he will call me when they are available. I just called up precisionte and its on its way. :D :D :D