installing a hotair turbo into a jeep

TheRowdyJ

hey guys. i have a project thats been done before but i cant get a hold of the guy who did it. figured i would come to the forums here to the experts.
i have a 71 cj6 and it came with a buick v6 225. i bought an 84 turbo riv engine and complete harness (engine, computer and under hood that has relays and all.). i was going to pay a mechanic to hook it up for me but he said it wouldnt work due to vehicle security system. i was told the vss didnt come in until the 87 model.
he might also have meant the speed sensor. if i am installing this into an older jeep that has mechanical speed, what do i really need?
i thought all i would do is hook up the power and ground, plug everything in, install an electric fan, and hook it to the starter/key switch. (plus of course fuel injection pumps and return lines.)

what am i missing?

E-mail TurboTweak for a custom chip to eliminate the speed sensor input.

FWIW; I know of an older Jeep (Can't tell you what year as I am Jeep ignorant) with a complete IC drivetrain that is for sale cheap in Houston. That would be a 100% drop in deal. PM me for the owner's phone number.

i have a stock drive train plus a rock crawler drive train for it. just trying to get the engine and wiring going.

what is an IC drivetrain?

i have a stock drive train plus a rock crawler drive train for it. just trying to get the engine and wiring going.

what is an IC drivetrain?
Gotcha.
IC = Intercooled aka 86-87 to 89 TTA drive train

i thought you might have been referring to that. i am emailing eric right now. ill keep it hot air so thats one less thing to break when out 4x4in in the desert. i just need to find out if i have everything to run this setup or if i still need other parts.

i thought you might have been referring to that. i am emailing eric right now. ill keep it hot air so thats one less thing to break when out 4x4in in the desert. i just need to find out if i have everything to run this setup or if i still need other parts.
Agree on building for reliability, when your voyage leads to the middle of the desert.
Good luck and post some pics of the car.

heres the start of my jeep.

Attachments

• cj6.jpg
    cj6.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 140
Wow, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing with my spare hot air motor. I was wondering what vehicle to put this in. I had it in my 86 before I rebuilt the stock engine and swapped it back to the rebuilt original engine. Now its time to do something with the hot air motor. How does the 2004r trans fit and what is needed for a new driveshaft shaft? What do you need to do with the transfer case?

paul

im sorry for not getting back to you sooner. i never bothered to check back on this site. too much stuff i dont know about these engines for me to do an honest search. i know the earlier, but the 84 is the first year of the sfi turbo and thats what i have. i need to find a way to get it in and wired up.

the 200r4 would need to be in 4wd config. i dont know if they ever made a 4x4 version but the tail shaft would have to come off and thats where the transfer case bolts up. it depends on what year jeep you get as to what trans is best. the old willy's and early kaisers were very short. when amc bought em out in 72, they lengthened em by 5.5" to fit the strait 6 and v8. the cj6 and cj8's are way longer (101" wheel base or so) which gives plenty of room for a trans of your choice. there are tons of buick to chevy adapters for around $60. they will allow tons of trans choices.

first thing you need to do is ask yourself what you want to do with the jeep. rock crawling? mudding? trail jeep? mud racer? that will determine what frame and year to start with. the old cj5's and cj6's came with the buick v6. so, you can pull the 225 oddfire and drop in the 231 turbo even fire. just have to run your turbo lines, setup return fuel lines from the tank (route all fuel), and config your wiring. but itll bolt in and bolt to the t-14. however, you will probably break it. i have upgraded to an sm-420 granny tranny for trail/rock crawling. the turbo 400 was made for those early cj's. they have short ones. just buy the adapters for the engine and transfer case, bolt it in and cut your shafts. the dana 18 has an over drive unit thats a gear splitter. itll give you a 27% over drive in every gear. so drive with it engaged until you need to go slower on trails.

if you get a longer jeep, you can just get the trans you desire. auto/over drives, manuals, double transfer cases...whatever.

i wanted a 72-75 cj5. i was going to bolt in the v6, but push it forward (since they were lengthened) and put a good nv4500 or double stacked transfer cases for serious crawling. 2 231's with their 2.7:1 gears = 5.4:1 crawl box. couple that with a 6.5:1 granny from the nv4500 and 4.88 gears and you have 171:1 crawl ratio. thats so slow you can get out and walk to steer.

if you know about these engines i would love to talk to you. i can tell you what i have and show pics and you can tell me what i need. i can give you jeep tips..ill show ya mine on video if you want.
979-204-2223
my name is rowdy. just tell me you're from the turbo buick site. make sure you have some time..i can chat about everything. lol
also, i am disabled, i dont work so anytime is good for me.

thanx paul.
also https://www.facebook.com/rowdy.hansen.7
i am on a ton of jeep sites on facebook. i can share them or we can chat there too.