Inner fender Undercoat Removal.

RED LS1

Who has done it? I have a Nice GN and under the hood looks good but the inner fenders ruin everything. They are caked in factory under coating. I've tried lacquer thinner which is my go to remover but it really didn't help. I'm going to try some WD40 or some type of oil based product.

any suggestions?

I've seen Gojo used to remove rubber from qtr panels...NOT the pumice type!:oops:

I have used paint thinner. Squirt it on and let it soak for a while then scrape it off with a plastic putty knife.

Did you use the paint thinner on the plastic? Or somewhere else on the car?

Pressure wash the hell out of them. Hose them down with Yamaha Silicone Spray

Then pressure wash the hell out of them and hose them down with Yamaha Silicone Spray

lather, rinse, repeat.

Eventually you'll end up with some brand new looking fenderwells.

Sometimes it blows right off. Sometimes it's stuck like a golddigger to a sugardaddy.

One day I would like somebody to explain to me how much faster my plastic fenders would have rusted out down here in GA. :)

kirban 2 cents worth....while suggestions may work either way it is very time consuming I remember when I was buying these cars ones out of NY were big on that yellow stuff....and sloppy and why oh why they applied it to plastic inner fenders I will never known.

good luck I would do a section at a time

gasoline or paint thinner but careful breathing in the fumes.

or, check with a auto detailer see what they suggest

good luck

Kerosene worked really well on my gas tank. Fumes are tolerable, just an oily diesel smell. Try a small spot and see how it does.

Varasol and soak the rag, wipe it on and let it soak. Just keep soaking the rag and wiping until it softens then keep wiping until it come's off. No easy way and anything more aggressive will harm the plastic. You could spray it on but I found it made more of a mess on the shop floor. Leave the shop door open with a small fan blowing the air towards the outside. This was a pain in the azz and I had to do an entire undercarriage on my Limited BUT under that black crap was a beautiful original painted car:)

Attachments

• MT T 042.JPG
    MT T 042.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 107
Varasol and soak the rag, wipe it on and let it soak. Just keep soaking the rag and wiping until it softens then keep wiping until it come's off. No easy way and anything more aggressive will harm the plastic. You could spray it on but I found it made more of a mess on the shop floor. Leave the shop door open with a small fan blowing the air towards the outside. This was a pain in the azz and I had to do an entire undercarriage on my Limited BUT under that black crap was a beautiful original painted car:)
Beautiful underside. More pictures please

Who has done it? I have a Nice GN and under the hood looks good but the inner fenders ruin everything. They are caked in factory under coating. I've tried lacquer thinner which is my go to remover but it really didn't help. I'm going to try some WD40 or some type of oil based product.

any suggestions?
I did this process about two years ago when I pulled my motor. I used mineral spirits and red shop rags. I would soak the rags and wipe down inner fenders. I would then soak rags again and let them sit on the inner fenders over night. Took a couple days but came out awesome

Cleaning the wheel wells and undercarriage of my car has been a project on my list for 2 years now. Nice to read all of these suggestions. I'm just dreading getting started on this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s well worth it
I'm sure. I have a picture of my car launching off the line at Atco with the front end rising. Car looked clean and nice EXCEPT for the nasty wheel wells you can plainly see in the picture.

Here's the pic. Not terrible but bothers me.
20161128_135422.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cleaning the wheel wells and undercarriage of my car has been a project on my list for 2 years now. Nice to read all of these suggestions. I'm just dreading getting started on this.

It's not really that bad The trick is to dry out the undercoating first once it's brittle, a pressure washer will knock it off in chunks

Wow show more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. It's a little late in the season for me to start the project but it's the first thing on my spring to-do-list

It's not really that bad The trick is to dry out the undercoating first once it's brittle, a pressure washer will knock it off in chunks

Anybody know how to source a bottle of liquid N2? Like they use on warts?

Freeze and blast it off?

That would probably shatter the plastic.

But if you want to try rapid thermal shock, just hit it with some Freon.

I did that years ago to get a busted bearing race off my first bike trailer. Sprayed it, and smashed it with a hammer.

It took a few tries, but I bet the garage at 205 Shawnee Dr, still has shards in the sheetrock to this day. :)