Inlet air temperature sensor stuck on 71*

Clark6

My brother's car ATS sensor is stuck on 71* any particular check or reason this would do this? Even unplugged.

He has the stock computer with a MaftPro and when the air temp is warm outside or in the day time and he floors it once past 3/4 throttle it coughs and dies down then picks back up at idle again.

But get this, at night or even when the outside air is cool/cold it doesn't do it?? I was wondering if the stuck ATS sensor is the problem, any suggestions?

Clark6 said:
My brother's car ATS sensor is stuck on 71* any particular check or reason this would do this? Even unplugged.

He has the stock computer with a MaftPro and when the air temp is warm outside or in the day time and he floors it once past 3/4 throttle it coughs and dies down then picks back up at idle again.

But get this, at night or even when the outside air is cool/cold it doesn't do it?? I was wondering if the stuck ATS sensor is the problem, any suggestions?

I'm not 100% familiar with this, but I believe some chips (maybe even the maftpro setup itself) have the air temp locked at 71* because it is not used like some other setups have it (ie fast/speed density)

Ok on that part if you are correct thanks, he is running the speed density set up with the Maftpro.

If he's running a MafTrans Pro, then the air temp sensor should have been moved to a point to measure actual temps going into the engine, like anywhere after the intercooler up to and including the intake doghouse. Measuring the air temps actually entering the engine are vital to Speed Density operation. Now, depending on how he has it configured, he could be reading the output from the V Out1 Mode, which on our Buicks is usually configured to control WOT timing, and he could be seeing that value.

Could be something as simple as the sensor going bad, it happens. Did it ever work correctly? If it did, then I would suggest trying a new sensor.

I'm not 100% familiar with this, but I believe some chips (maybe even the maftpro setup itself) have the air temp locked at 71* because it is not used like some other setups have it (ie fast/speed density)

Not true.

It's hard to explain so bare with me please.

With the translator pro settup one of the wires that gets cut and tapped into is the air temp sensor line into the ECM. The temps sensor signal is then sent into the Pro for speed density use, and the pro feeds the other air temp wire going into the ECM to control WOT timing via one of the two aux (VOut1 or 2) outputs. Vout1 mode is then set to "Send analog timing signal to ECU" for WOT timing.
To actually monitor the air temp entering the engine a wire has to then be run to the Powerlogger's analog input 4 and set for temp monitoring.

If he's running a MafTrans Pro, then the air temp sensor should have been moved to a point to measure actual temps going into the engine, like anywhere after the intercooler up to and including the intake doghouse. Measuring the air temps actually entering the engine are vital to Speed Density operation. Now, depending on how he has it configured, he could be reading the output from the V Out1 Mode, which on our Buicks is usually configured to control WOT timing, and he could be seeing that value.

Could be something as simple as the sensor going bad, it happens. Did it ever work correctly? If it did, then I would suggest trying a new sensor.

Yes Dave he is running the MaftTranPro-- The air temp sensor is still in the K&N filter neck. We didn't realize we had to Move it & do the other wiring.

You said" he could be seeing that value" of the Vout1 mode, If he is seeing value 71 for timing that would be high wouldn't it? His AFL source is -speed density NO TEMP.

His Vout1 mode is "spark control" Vout 2 is 15 I think I'll go back & recheck the settings but my question is will these make the car die down like that? Possible? It seems that it USE to work fine can't recall the car has been up then down for a while now back up again. I'll recheck those settings & get back with you Dave if you don't mind. I'll try my working sensor to see if anything changes thanks.

I don't know what 71 equals, but just make sure and check the Spark WOT table and see what values are set there.

I'm going to piggy back on this, i'm running the GEN II translator, and have the same ATS stuck at 71*. Never had any problems, but it would be nice to have it working again....Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

I had a similiar problem with my IAT. After changing sensor and checking the wires all the way back to the computer, I found that my GenII plug and play harness had a few broken connections. I removed the plug and play then soldered and shrink wrapped the wires so I know the connections are good and are going to last. If you are using the plug and play or clip style wire taps you might want to check those.